Ideal number of Guru items

People tend to talk about what a good number of Apprentice items is. But I want to know what everyone thinks a good number of Guru items is. Also, feel free to mention what your current Guru count is for comparison.
Even though there a few threads about this, I figured this would be a good opportunity for a poll.

• Less than 300
  • 300 - 400
  • 400 - 500
  • 500 - 600
  • 600 - 700
  • More than 700

0 voters

5 Likes

The number of guru items isnā€™t something you can control as easily as apprentice items, since itā€™s heavily dependent on accuracy. Iā€™m leveling up pretty fast and do all my lessons as soon as I get them, which increases the number of gurus, but my accuracy is also quite high, so the number usually lands on 300 something, without controlling it at all. So I guess Iā€™ll be answering 300-400, just because thatā€™s what Iā€™ve always been at.

1 Like

once they hit guru, i donā€™t really worry. they begin to naturally sort themselves out based on me knowing them quite a bit at that point.

@Kumirei Right, I think thatā€™s actually the heart of the question. Even though itā€™s not as easy to control, I think people can generally tell if their current Guru count is too high.
What is your accuracy by the way?

Iā€™d love to hear from a level 60 member to see what they think. At my current level I donā€™t worry so much about guruā€™ed items but I think that when you start hitting the higher levels, if you donā€™t try for more accuracy on guru, then you end up extending your timeline for burning everything significantlyćØꀝ恆.

Personnally I also do all my lessons as soon as they come out, and this way Iā€™ve always kept my apprentice level below 150.
I donā€™t pay attention to my guru numbersā€¦ Currently 567, and 577 master, 1551 enlightened, 0 burnt yet. it seems pretty much under control, I rarely get more than 200 reviews in one day, which is fairly easy to manage, and sometimes even less than a hundred.

1 Like

To be honest, though, I donā€™t monitor my apprentice count either

2 Likes

@andypj1 I canā€™t speak for level 60 people of course, but my accuracy is around 95% and after a while I start getting overwhelmed with reviews. Thatā€™s with an average of 100 Apprentice items (+/- 40 depending on where I am in a level) and always less than 600 Guru items (currently around 550). At level 10 I took a two week break from lessons to just do reviews and decrease my Apprentice and Guru piles. Iā€™m going to do the same next week when I get to level 21 and I plan to do this every 10 levels or so.

1 Like

I guess you wouldnā€™t need to with that accuracyā€¦ For comparison:

1 Like

Do you need to with your accuracy? I mean 96% is pretty damn good

1 Like

I am a bit lower than you, yet iā€™ve never felt overwhelmed. My review pile never goes higher than 200. Did you spend one or two days without reviewing at that time and your pile grew higher?

@Kumirei I donā€™t know. It might have to do with where a lot of my misses take place. I have a lot of items that bounce back and forth between Apprentice and Guru, which just causes a lot of repeated reviews.

@kisscolle Iā€™ve almost never gone to bed with reviews left. I think it comes down to WaniKani taking up so much of my time. Iā€™m also studying vocabulary on iknow.jp, which just increases the amount I have to review.

1 Like

Level 60 here.

As mentioned in this topic: To lv 46+ers, what is your strategy for 3.5-days' levels? - #12 by Goutye , having 500 to 600 guru items is doable.
However, due to 4 days levels, my guru stack started to get bigger and bigger, reaching 850 items at one point. This was the point where I was unable to pursue such rhythm. I decided to stop and do only reviews until my stack goes back to 500 to 600 items.

500 to 600 items is still something like > 200 reviews a day. It will then require a lot of time. Good luck :slight_smile:

4 Likes

To add some charts on that, the mistake in doing the multiple 4 days level in a row results in a Tsunami that goes from Apprentice to Enlightened over 2 months.

As you can see, the February items Iā€™ve done are now messing up my Enlightened number, and messed up my Guru number before. So instead of having a normal pace, you ll end up with the double of reviews during a few weeks with a peak at one point. And that peak will certainly be a 18days level for you instead of your regular 7 days.

My best advice is then to stay regular, but to progress. Same pace, always. The brain loves it.

i came back to WK just over a month ago and cut my level by just touch over half to help re-acclimate myself to all the memories again (probably couldā€™ve kept level in hindsight, i had better recall than i thought), so my guru is at 1200 right now. Itā€™s quickly filtering to upper tiers so Iā€™m not too worried.

Ideally I would like to have 0 guru with 8792 burned.

10 Likes

Your accuracy scares me : ) how do you manage it? Is it pre-studying or generally having a lot of practice outside WK or something different?

2 Likes

Had already studied for a year when I started WK

2 Likes

Studied Japanese in general or studied kanji?

Personally Iā€™ve studied Chinese, and it helps a lot for the meanings and even for the onā€™yomi readings (not always, but sometimes I donā€™t even need the mnemonics, I just think ā€œitā€™s like in chineseā€), whether for kanji or for vocabulary.

Itā€™s pretty interesting but Iā€™m starting to be confused sometimes, when I want to use a chinese word and I recall first the japanese reading. Luckily it doesnā€™t happen so muchā€¦yet.