I won't need to remember those stories after a while right?

Learning Kanji with stories indeed works but I wonder what happens after a while. For example, after 1 year of learning do you still remember Kanji’s by the stories? It takes a little time to remember meanings and readings for me right now (it’s been like 4-5 days since I started). Can experienced users tell their experiences?

1 Like

Some will still be memorable because they’re funny or just weirdly interesting. But for most of them, they’ll be gone don’t worry :stuck_out_tongue: The first thought you’ll have will be the actual answer, not the mnemonic.

8 Likes

Thank God I don’t. Imagine if whenever I had to read something I would remember the story for each kanji in the text, then remember the meanings and readings, than remember the words, if the reading for the word is an exception then remember the story for the exception… ok, next word.

Just joking, don’t worry, it has its usefulness at first, but you won’t always depend on it.

7 Likes

Thanks guys,

Like probably many of us here I haven’t learnt this kind of language (non latin) so it’s a mystery to me.

2 Likes

Right?! But it’s really awesome like the others are saying: at some point you will see kanji and instantly know the meaning and reading. The story just works as a shortcut to get it into your brain😊

1 Like

Mnemonics work when you don’t have much to grasp in terms of vocab or previous kanjis.

In my case I have been learning vocab side by side al along, so now I found many kanjis for which I already know words, so it’s like finally remembering the name of that guy / girl you know for sure you’ve met before :sweat_smile:
Also there’s a great tool here (a script)

That after some hundred kanjis will allow you to see the logic among the kanjis that share components which are the largest part of all joujo kanji. So you can group kanjis, and make mnemonics for the group (which is far more efficient to me).

Mnemonics as presented in the website are currently something that it’s for the most part unnecessary if the above tools are available for any new kanji I’m learning.

In my every post people suggest a different script, they are pretty big around here I guess :slight_smile:. Problem is I mainly use my tablet (iOS) so using those would be trouble as far as I know.

And that is exactly the reason, why in my opinion the new content update doesn’t really hurt the high level people. They don’t need to relearn all the kanji.

I use them in my phone with firefox, so it’s not a big problem. :+1:

Is it iOS? As far as I know you can’t use these kind of scripts on iOS.

phone is Android. There’s firefox for iOS too, so you could try it. I don’t know if there’s any restriction specific for iOS.

I’ve probably forgotten most as I don’t need them anymore, but some do stay in my mind if they’re wacky…like ‘kou’ being ‘mix’ and…me mixing a pot with my father and ingredients and my father being Kouichi.

They stories are only really needed when you’re learning them.

I don’t think they work on iOS at all, even using Firefox.

Thanks, now I habe nightmares of sweaty construction workers being my father. Again.

1 Like

iOS restricts any run-time loading of code, I think Firefox wanted to bring browser extensions to iOS as well but it was shot down by Apple. Reasons being security, and it would be trivial to implement ad-blockers. :stuck_out_tongue:

You may be interested in the workaround posted recently, but it seems it involves building you own app :wink:

i went to lvl 24 completely without stories and only ever started using them when i restarted (some 2 months ago). they’re not needed at all, but they make it easier sometimes and are especially useful when you have to tell apart similar ones (of which there will be lots later on).

i forgot most of those stories after a week or two… they were kinda nice at first, but unneeded later.

i even forget the meaning of individual kanji. i can read them, but forget what they mean concretely in isolation, unless they’re words on their own. only a vague idea stays in my head. and that’s fine, because that’s what kanji are: vague ideas that, together, form words, and only those have real meaning.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.