I made a WaniKani progress tracker website!

Hey guys! This is my first time posting here (I’m very new to WaniKani as a whole, only just passed level 3!!), but I made a small website for myself yesterday and thought it would be nice to share it with the community.

The website is very, very simple. It simply tracks your progress as you use WaniKani and uses 4 progress meters to tell you how close you are to having completed all of the content on the entire site. It’s really motivating to check in every now and then and watch all the meters fill up! The site will also tell you how many lessons you’re averaging each day as well as how many lessons you’ve done on the current day (resetting at 6:00 AM each morning - I set it up this way because I’m always up past midnight! haha). If the number of lessons you have done in a day exceeds your average then you get a little confetti celebration just for fun. :slight_smile:

The website is totally free (of course), no ads, no download required, no registration, nothing like that. You just click the link, paste in your API key, and that’s it. Your progress will appear on-screen in about a second, and the site will remember your API key for the future so you can keep checking in without having to re-input it each time.

Here is a link to the site for those who want to check it out!

And here is a screenshot showing what the site looks like:

You’ll also notice that the site shows three options at the top: “Learned”, “Burned”, and “Burned %”
The terms I picked for that are dumb and confusing so I’ll explain what they each mean here, haha.
When “Learned” is selected, the 4 progress bars will show the percentage of items whose lessons you’ve completed as compared to total number of items on the site. This setting doesn’t take into consideration the item’s SRS stage - as long as the item has been learned, regardless of how far along it is in the SRS, it will show up as a single point here, divided by the total number of items on WaniKani. This will show 100% progress once you’ve completed all the lessons on WaniKani, even if you haven’t burned everything.
When “Burned” is selected, the progress bars will show the percentage of items that have been burned. For me, this currently just shows 0% on everything because I have not burned anything yet! haha :slight_smile: These bars fill to 100% when you have burned every single item the site has to offer (in which case, massive congrats!)
And finally, when “Burned %” is selected, the progress bars show what percentage of the site you have pushed towards Burned status. It’s a little bit complex and confusing to explain, but hopefully that makes sense. Basically, Burned status is when an item reaches SRS stage 9. So if you have pushed an item to SRS stage 5 (Guru) then that item will count for 5/9 of a single point. Then those values are divided by the total number of items on WaniKani. So even for me, while I don’t have any items burned yet, I still have progress in these meters because I’ve gotten all of my items somewhat close to being burned, and it counts that as partial progress! I hope I explained that well. The bars here will also show 100% completion if you’ve burned every item on the site!

Alright, that’s all I have for today. :slight_smile: I hope you enjoy my tiny little program and I hope it’s helpful, motivating, and encouraging for you! Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions and please tell me if you find any bugs or issues so I can make it better!

Update on August 31st, 2023: Added small numbers to the upper left of each progress bar indicating the exact values as numbers in addition to the percentages. For example, “563/6612” vocabulary words learned.

Update on February 2nd, 2024: Added a graph that shows how many lessons you’ve completed on each of the last 7 days. (The graph counts each day starting at 6:00 AM like the other widgets.)

26 Likes

Gave it a try!

I…do not know how to turn the confetti off, lol. I’m a little shocked at the radical percentage - I didn’t realize just how much the number of radicals drops off in later levels. Coming up on halfway learned, though!

The “Burned” option seems to be buggy, though - even after refreshing the page, it shows 0% on everything. “Burned %” works fine!

2 Likes

Oh thank you very much for the input and bug report! :slight_smile: I will get right on fixing the Burned page not working and I will add a button to turn off the confetti, haha. Also it looks like you’re crushing it! Keep it up. :slight_smile:

You might be interested in the following sites as well.

2 Likes

Alright I fixed the bug with the Burned page and added a button to toggle the confetti. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t seem to work

EDIT: Nevermind, it was just taking a while to load

Cool! I always like seeing people writing code to help out. Thanks! It’s not really a bug but when it’s loading the values, it appears as %NAN which might lead some people to think it doesn’t work. Same as @FireSide_01, I just had to wait a bit for it to load.

1 Like

Nice site! I love the simplicity.

Looks to me that the Burned option is still a little buggy, though. Somehow I’ve burned 109.23% of the radicals :open_mouth:

1 Like

Thank you guys so much for your input! I have fixed the bug with the “Burned %” page now too! (I was accidentally multiplying by 8 instead of 9 in one spot, haha) and I have also made the progress bars now say “Loading…” instead of “NaN%” while the site is waiting for the API. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love it. Thanks for the hard work!

1 Like

This is super cool! I’ve been wanting to see my burn% for a while now. Thanks for this!

1 Like

Like the new stats added! Only issue is that, because there is no scroll button, on desktop I have to zoom out to see it all (and toggle the confetti off lol).

1 Like

Oh thank you very much for the bug report! Just fixed it. :slight_smile:

Sounds super cool, wish I had done at least a few reviews this week to try it

1 Like

just found this tool, nice! That nifty little chart is great. I wish this was shown in the app.

1 Like

Wow, this is really nice! :+1:

I can’t believe I’ve already learned almost half of the radicals on WK! :astonished:

1 Like

Thank you, and wow, 25 lessons per day! You’re cruising! Keep it up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! :blush: Yeah, I decided to go at full speed, and you might already know this, but 25 lessons is the “magic number” for this :wink:

1 Like