I like this app but

im guessing wanikani only teaches kanji and not grammar, right? and if so, can anyone recommend me apps that teach grammar but also free?

6 Likes

I would highly recommend googling that sort of stuff or searching on this forum. This question has been asked multiple times with many good answers.

That being said, Genki is a good textbook. Tae Kimā€™s guide is a great free textbook online. Bunpro.jp is an SRS app just like Wanikani but for grammar.

11 Likes

there are a few sites that teach grammar. i personally have only properly used Bunpro which has a 30 day free trial, and MaruMori which has a 14 day trial, along with the Genki textbooks.

this site has links to different resources that can help you out. a lot them seem to be free resources like Cure Dollyā€™s youtube channel and even transcripts for her videos, and Tae Kimā€™s website.

If you get the Genki textbooks, Tokini Andy has some great playlists going through them.

9 Likes

renshuu is free and has great content.

Just power through the horrible UX.

5 Likes

Bunproā€™s SRS is paid, but its content is free, so you can read through each lesson and take notes as if it was a textbook. Just canā€™t use the flashcards.

Itā€™s not free but very cheap ($10 USD) and great quality: Human Japanese. Itā€™s an app but really itā€™s structured more like an textbook. Itā€™s what I used when I first started and I highly recommend it! The one issue I have with it is that they take forever to teach kanjiā€¦ but luckily thatā€™s what WaniKani is here for :slight_smile:

Japanese Ammo with Misa is a great youtube channel that goes over lots of vocab/grammar

Personally I do like Cure Dolly, but for the most part Iā€™d say sheā€™s more for the upper beginner / intermediate level, not for absolute beginners. Still, she does have some beginner-friendly videos. Highly recommend watching her video on transitivity

10 Likes

If you want a single app that teaches everything Japanese, then you might want to try

Itā€™s not free, but it has a free trial period, so youā€™d be able to see for yourself.

3 Likes

In addition to everything already mentioned, thereā€™s also Tae Kimā€™s Japanese Grammar Guide, which is completely free. And as for Bunpro, you can actually read through the grammar points for free, you just canā€™t use their srs without a subscription. And each grammar point has a list of links to other resources, so you can use it an index too.

But if you want a program that teaches kanji and grammar (and more) Marumori is the way to go.

6 Likes

FYI, just in case. WK is not free. You can access the first 3 levels for free, but once you complete that the rest will be locked.

It is free, but with some functionality/features/content as ā€œpremiumā€ which require payment. With respect to grammar in particular about 3/4 of the content is premium. I have used renshuu and it is pretty decent, once I pushed through my aversion to their UI, which initially felt like an assault to the senses and had way to much cutesy cutesy for me. Although I have come to like Kao-chan these days.

I would agree with what many others have said already, that grammar is probably best learned in a more structured, text-book like,way. For the learning and understanding part.Once past that, quiz based systems are great for practicing and checking your learning.

7 Likes

I almost forgot, free textbooks by the Japan Foundation, the Irodori series also exist. the Japan Foundation is also behind the Marugoto textbooks. Those ones are paid textbooks.

Hereā€™s an article from Tofugu.

6 Likes

Teaching Kanji and also free, would be renshuu.org and https://kanji.koohii.com/ (which references a not free book)

WaniKani is actually free if not using SRS.

jpdb.io is free with SRS, but no mnemonics. Also, Anki.

3 Likes

Here to throw in another vote for Bunproā€™s free content ā€” with some major caveats.

I use Bunpro primarily as a starting point. Their free-to-access grammar pages are organized by JLPT level, so it helps you work your way up from zero (start with N5). For example, when I made the decision to put serious effort into learning grammar not long ago, I took the N5 grammar points from Bunpro, listed them in a spreadsheet with a link to each grammar point page (along with a link to supplementary material), and then split them into small groups I thought I could tackle in a weekā€™s time. Iā€™m nearly done and will do the same for N4, N3, etc.

Some of Bunproā€™s explanations are less than great in my opinion. I supplement quite a lot with the grammar articles from Tofugu and other free online resources. Tae Kimā€™s online guide, which is what I started with when I had just begun learning Japanese, is also an excellent resource that I keep going back to.

I donā€™t know of a grammar SRS that isnā€™t behind a paywall of some kind* (many of them have limited ā€œteaserā€ content for free in hopes youā€™ll like it enough to purchase the rest, much like WaniKani). But Iā€™ve also tried a couple and came to the conclusion that multiple choice and text-input quizzes may not be a great way to remember and learn how to use grammar concepts.

Iā€™d say some of the best ways to get a good grasp on grammar points after initially learning them is to consume content (so youā€™re exposed to many examples of the grammar in use in the real world) and consistently practice coming up with your own sentences. Itā€™s okay if youā€™re not correct with your usage every time; itā€™s more important that youā€™re getting accustomed to thinking in the languageā€™s structure overall; nailing the specifics will come with exposure, practice and time.

Whenever I learn a grammar point, I re-write what Iā€™ve read and learned in my own words, along with my own example sentences. Not only does it help to get the information to stick in my brain, but Iā€™m slowly building a handy quick reference guide of everything Iā€™ve learned, customized just for me. :slight_smile:

* I had to give up on Renshuu because I donā€™t have the tolerance for bad UI that some of the others in this thread do, but as others have mentioned, much of their content is also behind a paywall.

9 Likes

Yeah. I came to tolerate it, but not like it. It is still like a stiff smack in the face every time I open it up. But probably more so than the visuals even is just the design/structure/layout and configuring/finding stuff. As I am not a paying customer I donā€™t complain about it. But on the other hand the design and usability means it is not something I would pay for.

3 Likes

Another vote for irodori

2 Likes

I just wanted to add to what you said. Marugoto is also available completely free as an online course with identical content to the textbooks. With added audio and video.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t realise they had a free course based off them! Thatā€™s pretty nice!

2 Likes

I think that Cure Dollyā€™s Organic Japanese playlist is perfect for starting from the beginning. Understanding structure from (almost) the beginning has saved me so much time and frustration, itā€™s unbelievable. To be fair, I wasnā€™t a exactly beginner exactly when I found her, and my mind works in way in which I have low tolerance for ambiguity and I like to learn principles and apply them, rather than learning a bunch of seemingly random rules that I got from my classes in college back in the day. So, her way of teaching works for me, and I may be a bit biased because of that.

2 Likes

you can finish N5 on bunpro in less than amonth, if you like you can continue and in one year you can get to N1 just like I did

But I dont recommend grammar so soon because instead of spending time focusing on grammar point you will be looking up words in the sentence and the main thing wonā€™t be learned IMO

I only started bunpro on lvl 33 here and no regrets, I could only focus on grammar there since I knew most of the words already.

2 Likes

Good to know! I guess to be fair I mostly think of her upper level content since thatā€™s what I focused on when I found out about her

oh yeah iā€™m planning on paying for WK since i think itā€™s the best app for kanji. Atp i think iā€™ll buy the Japanese From Zero textbook, it looks pretty good. What do you think?