I did a thing. (and that thing is reaching level 60...)

What’s going on everyone? So I made it to level 60. I don’t know that I have an interesting story to tell, or any real words of wisdom. I just sorta decided to finally learn Japanese, picked up Wani Kani because a friend of mine was starting it, and I just sorta dinked around with it for a few months. Then the pandemic hit and the schools closed down which meant I didn’t have work for months, so I brushed up on @jprspereira 's nifty guide, set myself a daily schedule and just kinda did it, and now I’m here. It took 434 days total, with about a 20 day break in June doing other important things.

For anyone looking for advice I have two things to say:

1. Setting a consistent daily schedule is probably the simplest and most important thing you can do. Most of my Wani Kani experience didn’t really feel like a slog because I just had my srs-timed daily sessions based on a steady 20 lesson diet, and I just showed up to them pretty consistently. And thats how you get through WK in a bout a year. If you have the luxury to set yourself a schedule, do it. Its the true way.

2. Don’t do the fast levels fast, unless you have a very specific reason to do it. It sucked, and if I didn’t have a specific goal I probably woulda slowed down after trying a few of the fast ones. But I really wanted to hit 60 before the school buildings opened up and I had to commute to work again, and they are reopening in a week, so I guess it was worth it. But yeah, 3.5 day levels while trying to stay on top of the vocab was rough.

Anyways, I’m glad I made it, glad I have the cool little gold circle, glad I can look back at pandemic times and say “well at least I did THAT…” I’ve read others mention similar sorts of things, but picking a thing to do and sticking with it super-consistently is a pretty rare thing for me. Over the last few years, I’ve started to seriously suspect that I’ve been living with undiagnosed ADHD (I’ve been meaning to talk to a a professional about it but I just never end up getting around to setting up an appointment, which…yeah). So here I am, I stuck with it somehow. Now I have to actually…like, LEARN Japanese :upside_down_face:

I don’t know if its really necessary to bother with stats type stuff, but I do like the story that everyone’s level-up timeline tells, so here’s that.

Cheers everyone! Do your reviews. I’ll try to be less of a lurker now that I don’t have reviews as a distraction.

76 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Congrats! Well done!
What are your next steps going to be?
Have you been studying grammar and such in the mean time?

3 Likes

:partying_face: Congratulations on reaching 60! An amazing accomplishment! :partying_face:

Can’t wait to see more of you! ^^

5 Likes

congratulations!!! are you studying any grammar too?

3 Likes

おめでとうございます :cake: :partying_face:

4 Likes

Congratulations on reaching 60!! :cake: :tada:

2 Likes

Congratulation Sailor, you’ve made it to 60! :cake:

2 Likes

I took up some grammar for a bit, and can struggle my way through like a NHK Easy article. But my reading practice really fell off as work picked up and the nightmare of online school settled in.

So I have no plan for what’s next. I think as the reviews taper off I need to replace the routine with reading and grammar studies of of some sort. Spring break is coming up so I might take that time to work on designing what’s next, but yeah keeping up the routine is the key I think. Look for a good listening source, dig into one of the mangas I have lying around, maybe get around to bugging one of my friends in Japan about setting up a regular chat time. Maybe I’ll post about it if I land on a system that feels nifty.

3 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

1 Like

kumo

Good job, and congratulations! You did what most people that start wanikani won’t do, which is actually sticking to it until completion, so that alone should be a good lesson about your potential to commit to a long project like this. You are an example I aspire to follow.

Hopefully now you will find a new routine to keep improving and eventually you’ll get where you want to be.

3 Likes

おめでとうぅぅぅぅ! I’m really amazed at how consistently and fast you’ve completed all levels! :slight_smile: Definitely a form of self discipline i think I’ve never experienced in my life :'D
By the way: where did you find/get that graph about your time spent in each level?

1 Like

Know it and love it.

4 Likes

Damn, that pace is double mine lol wish I had that kind of memory.

1 Like

I don’t think my memory is anything special. I still have plennnnnnty of leeches, though now I have a little more bandwidth to really focus on them.
Its really just persistence, consistency and routine.

1 Like

Congratulations!! :partying_face::partying_face::cake::cake: All the best going forward :muscle:t2::facepunch:t2:

2 Likes

That pace tho.
I’m doing the “keep apprentice terms around 100” suggestion so, I clear though my reviews every hour on the hour, I just forget enough (and or maybe typo a few) that my pace is just way slow lol

Yeah the 100 Apprentice thing is definitely a good guideline to follow. I didn’t follow it strictly though, and in a few rough patches crept towards 200, but I figured if the SRS was working even sorta well, I oughta be able to catch back up, but I promised myself 200 would be a hard limit and if I were to hit that I’d definitely chill on lessons for a bit (Until the fast levels when I increased lessons to keep pace, and was at like 300-400 apprentice items and it sucked…). Everyone’s limit is different for a host of reasons.

Another thing, if you have the luxury to do so, I’d highly recommend breaking your sessions into just three chunks of: lessons+review in the morning- review 4 hours later- review 8 hours later. It gives your brain a chance to chill, and less chance of burnout overall. Setting this schedule for myself helped me more than I really thought it would. If you can’t do that for whatever reason, then just do whatever works for you.

Ultimately I wouldn’t really worry about pace so much. I wasn’t really try-harding to get through the levels fast. I just set some guidelines for myself, stuck to them, and I happened to finish at a decent speed. Comparing my speed to your speed and anyone else’s holds little value (aside from a bit of fun competition and maybe a touch of motivation) because our conditions are almost assuredly different.

Anyways, yeah, I still believe routine and consistency is the key more than anything else. Just keep showing up, and you’ll keep moving forward.

5 Likes

Props to you. It may be a little strange since it’s not really from zero now, but I think the Japanese from Zero series has the best approach for the independent learner, and I think each volume is only $10 digitally. I used Genki, and it was clearly designed for classroom use. It’s also not officially available digitally, last I checked. I was not impressed by Genki at all.

1 Like