I calculated how many hours of reviews it takes to finish it

222 hours and 24 minutes. That means it would take just short of 1 year and three months doing 30 minutes of reviews a day on average, not counting the time doing lessons.
That is, if you make zero mistakes.

There are 8.896 items in wanikani. To burn all of them, it takes at least 9 reviews per item, totalling 80.064 reviews. My average review speed is 10 seconds per item (I timed it), which leads to the number of hours stated above.

What motivated this exercise was the feeling that WaniKani was taking up too much time, and thus taking away time I could spend studying japanese is other ways (e.g. reading). I’m sure a lot of people feel the same at some point.

What I’ve come to realise, though, is that knowing me, these 30 extra minutes a day would’ve probably been wasted doing something completely unrelated to learning. So I guess even if WaniKani is not the most productive way to spend your time, it sure beats doing nothing

5 Likes

Here’s a related and interesting thread

You’re not wrong, but I find it really hard to argue with 30 minutes of procrastination.

4 Likes

Doubt you could cram in as much info in 30min as you could doing WK.

Yeah it’s important to be realistic about your goals and how you get there. While that “time you could spend immersing” sounds like it would be more fun and beneficial the reality is it is more likely not.

I did the year of just “immersing” and I stayed at the same comprehension level for a year. So like a kid it’s important to mix the two and have a healthy balance.

And with hard study you at least KNOW you’re gonna learn something. Where with consuming media you’re largely gonna only notice the stuff you’re already familiar with and not likely to obtain much new info.

1 Like

Another related thread:

2 Likes

Looks at Wanikani heat map stats

-615 Hours

So about that no mistakes part…

4 Likes

That’s actually not bad at all

Don’t forget to add in lesson time. Reviews don’t include the time to read the mnemonics, visualize, listen to the audio, repeat it a few times, then do the lesson quiz.

I’ve seen someone who projected average number of reviews with different % accuracy stats, which was really interesting. I’d love to see these time amounts also expanded depending on accuracy. 'Cause I’m already well over your total time amount (plus 12 hours of lesson time) with a 90%+ accuracy.

3 Likes

Just take Kumirei’s Monte Carlo simulation (linked above) and divide review numbers by 720 partial reviews/hour (OP’s assumption) = time in hours

Note: Kumirei’s simulation assumes there are 17,131 items to review due to counting meaning & reading reviews separately and not being updated with the most recent Content Additions

3 Likes

Wanikani took me just over 2 years and I spent an hour a day or less for the majority of it.

After finishing WK, I quickly started wasting that hour a day for a few months before getting back on track with another SRS. :joy:

Hm I don’t really think it’s an either/or situation at all. Immersion at first is all gibberish, so the actual learning starts out very slow, then increases exponentially. But like an exponential, very flat for quite a while.

The trick is to use a more linear, but positive-slope method like WK or Genki at the beginning, but then switch to something more immersive and free form once you know enough to be somewhat up the exponential curve.

When that switch point is is different for everyone. I feel like level 60 is probably too far for most, but not all, people.

Of course, if you have the time to do both at once, best of both worlds.