Hunter × Hunter 🐸 (Absolute Beginner Book Club) - Starting on the 27th of August

Fwiw, the issue may actually be your monitor resolution being too high. I’m looking on my 7yr old 12" laptop (3480x2160 w/ 250% scale*), and the kanji and furigana appear crystal clear on both the bookwalker and kindle versions. It’s actually better than some others I’ve looked at

(*the 250% scale isn’t doing anything special. It basically makes things normal size, otherwise you’d need binoculars to see anything on this)

1 Like

For folks who don’t have Amazon JP set up, there’s a few copies on the main site as well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/4088725719/ref=nosim?tag=natively06-20

1 Like

I had a little luck and found the first volume by accident on a convention last weekend, so luckily I don´t have to pay horrendous shipping costs this time.
They seem to have a webshop as well (TAKAGI Deine Buchläden in Düsseldorf und Online - Manga Anime Laden) so this might be an cheaper option for people in germany. I haven´t taken a good look at their webshop yet, but they had quite a selection of japanese manga at the Convention.

5 Likes

Awesome found! Can’t seem to find it in an online shop in Denmark, but could probably get it easily from someone from Germany, I hadn’t thought about that, so thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I just thought; will there be a live read-along discord or anything for this Hunter x Hunter reading book club? I saw in a guide on setting up wanikani-bookclubs that apparently that is an option that people can do, so was curious if it might happen here? I’m not sure how it works, but the concept sounds interesting.

For the moment, does joining in with this first reading consist of reading the chapters in our own times (using the vocab sheet provided) and discussing it in this thread?

1 Like

I never used a read along group like that, so I don’t have the know how (or urge) to set it up, but if someone wants to, tell me and I’ll include the link to it in the first post.

1 Like

well… it seems like I will be joining in on this as well :see_no_evil: :sweat_smile:
for some reason I just couldn’t hold back on ordering the first volume… ^^’
I hope it’ll be here by the time the club’s starting or otherwise will join in a little later
I actually haven’t ever read or watched any HxH content - but heard a lot about it, of course ^^

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity - how similar is the manga to the anime series now on Netflix? I tried to watch the first episode with Japanese audio, no subtitles, and I think I understood maybe like 3 words in the first few minutes before I gave up :grimacing: :grimacing:

1 Like

Manga are generally easier, because you have as much time as you need to parse a sentence and there’s no way you can miss a word or not understand what is said.

2 Likes

I think I’ll join in on this one :grin:

3 Likes

I’d be down with a Discord… that could be cool. Does the guide your rea put forth any guidelines for making one? I might be up for making one

For the moment, does joining in with this first reading consist of reading the chapters in our own times (using the vocab sheet provided) and discussing it in this thread?

That’s what it seems like. (It’s my first time doing one of these, as well)

1 Like

Yep, it does. This is the Tips Thread. There is a dropdown in the FAQ labeled “How do I organize live reading sessions?” that tells you how that all works. If you end up with any questions, feel free to ask in that thread, and someone who does the live reading sessions can answer them! That FAQ is very robust, but it is a living document, intended to be updated, so getting more feedback on questions that we may have missed while making it is appreciated!

That’s sorta what it is. Essentially, once the club starts on the 27th, there will be weekly threads posted for each chapter. The idea is to try and read the chapter within that week, and the discussion for each chapter takes place in those chapter threads. Edit: @Lunalocket since you originally asked the question. The two similar usernames threw me. :laughing:

3 Likes

Ohhh I kinda spaced on what “live reading” meant before… while I could set up a discord, I definitely couldn’t be a live reader tho. Sounds really helpful if someone is up for that though.

Re: the weekly threads… good to know. I’ve gotten a bit of a headstart already (not that much)… but I’ll reread it once the club officially starts too

1 Like

Yeah, generally speaking, we try to keep all actual book discussion on the forums as much as possible, so that people who come in later have a resource that they can fall back on while they read. It just makes things a little more convenient that way than having a Discord group for that. The Discord groups tend to be specifically just for live read-alongs (something that I’ve never done, either. I’m far too socially anxious for that. :laughing:). But I’m sure it’s a useful resource, and I know some people like it a lot!

1 Like

I’m quite certain that people that read comfortably aloud in front of others are just a figment of our collective imaginations.

I’d assume abbc books have live read-alongs less commonly. The whole thing sounds to me like not letting your brain have enough time to process a sentence, because it would be awkward to sit there for a minute just contemplating if that specific と is a quotation, part of a conditional clause, or actually just part of some word. Sofar I’ve only seen one person say, that they would be interested in a read along, which wouldn’t be a very exciting read along :joy:

2 Likes

Added a bookmark for August 27th! Hope I don’t miss it I haven’t been super active on the forums haha

2 Likes

There’s already a discord for that, run by seanblue. It’s pretty well organized in channels for each book. At least there was back when we were reading yotsuba and flying witch. :slight_smile:

It’s pretty good for practicing pronunciation and stuff, and maybe reading faster. The only issue is scheduling the readings, though people usually reach a compromise. There were some participants getting up very early. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yep! That is the one which is linked to in the Tips Thread! :grin:

Yeah, timezones are killer for that kind of thing. I could definitely see how it could be helpful, though. I just am not as social as my posts on the forums make me appear. :joy: I would shrivel up in embarrassment trying to read live with a group of folks I don’t know all that well (even though everyone on the forums here are very lovely and kind). :rofl:

2 Likes

:eye::lips::eye:

Only one way to get to know people.

3 Likes

I’ve did few read aloud sessions with ABBC club, and I really liked it. It was when we were reading “10 minutes something” books. To avoid anxiety, people were “claiming” particular pages in advance, and many were practicing them before (at least I did). Usually, there was someone in the group with good reading level to help. As for manga, some clubs do roles. If anime follows the manga closely, then one can shadow anime to practice. Main issue is to find the convenient time slot, which is impossible to achieve for all time zones.

Sadly I can’t promise that I’m all up for read aloud, because I have terrible consistency when it comes to book club participation (as in I buy almost every book and then follow one club out of 10).

6 Likes