How to use and setup WK for longterm success as a beginner

If you haven’t yet, give the Ultimate Guide a read. It has general recommendations for most things, that are important.

At level one, I really don’t recommend using reorder scripts. Firstly, because you really don’t need it until much later, and secondly, because it’s good to see how you fare even before changing the mechanics behind the srs. If you do your reviews daily, you won’t have huge amounts of reviews piling up and lesson reordering is only “important” if you want to go fast, which isn’t a good thing if you get frustrated easily. Choose yourself a steady pace and you’ll be through it faster, than someone who burns out in the middle and has to start over.

What I do, is that I make sure that wk isn’t something that needs to be done, rather I try to use it as a distraction when I have some time to kill. For example, I regularly do my reviews while travelling to work. That time would normally be useless to me, so I make it useful by doing my japanese studies during it. Besides that there are many many time bits, that are perfect for doing a couple of reviews, but otherwise would just be wasted. Standing in line, taking a small break at work, etc etc. These are the intervals I target, and by cementing the idea, that wk is perfect for spending these few minutes you automatically train your brain to seek them out.

For this method, you will need to do reviews on your phone, for which I recommend Flaming Durtles, it’s basically the de-facto (unofficial) app on android. I also recommend getting into the habit of using a Japanese keyboard, out of which, the swipe input is the most accurate, and probably easiest to handle.

The point of gamification is to make forming a habit easier. So the best thing you can do is to lean into that aspect. There are scripts, such as Heatmap, that show you which days you’ve done reviews on. Try to create a streak using it. Of course, if you lose it, it’s no big deal, but it helps a ton with convincing your brain, that this is in fact fun.

5 Likes