How to translate this

いつまたブウみてぇな強えぇ敵が現れっかわかんねぇからな!
Should mean something like “In case another enemy as fearsome as majin buu appears”

I don’t understand why there are so many ぇ in it like みてぇな or 強えぇ
And how to interpret this one 現れっかわかんねぇ

All of those えぇ are basically just tough guy slang pronunciation.
If you were to write them as い instead, you would essentially have the same meaning, it’s just the style of speaking.

1 Like

whoops, missed this.

Take the important bits and try to write it in more standard Japanese and you’ll get いつ敵が現れるかわからない, or “we don’t know when another enemy will appear” (or at least, that’s my take on it)

1 Like

正解~~ correct!!

not limited for tough guy only~ it’s also can used like かわえっぇえ~
slang from 可愛い・かわいい~

1 Like

現れる - to appear
か - ?? what does this one do?
わからな - do not understand/know

現れっかわかんねぇ Here the っ is just a replacement of the removed る?
I know there a verbs which are just a connection of the stem from one verb and another one. Is this one of those?

現れるかわからない my educated guess. And I’d translate it as "I don’t know when enemy as strong as Buu will appear"
か is question particle, I think it’s goes in combo with いつ. But I’m just an amateur, so maybe someone should correct me.
Where is this from, if you don’t mind me asking?

1 Like

So the か here is a way of nominalizing(?) questions.
If you have an question +か forming part of a sentence, you can then use the rest of the sentence to talk about that question.

Ending up with the small つ is your typical lazy pronunciation. Its the same reason that rather than saying どこか(somewhere), its common to say どっか instead.

2 Likes

Another Question regarding 強えぇ, I think it should mean 強い (つよい).
In this case the い is replaced with え?

Basically for the i-adjectives that end in an お-kana+い, like つよい, you remove the い, transform the kana before the い into it’s え counterpart, and just prolong it. So “tsuyoi” ends in “yoi”, you remove the “i” and turn “yo” into “ye”. But since there’s no “ye” kana in modern Japanese, it just becomes “e”. So the transformation is from つよい to つえぇ, but the kanji 強 that contains the つよ part normally, is just used like so: 強えぇ because the writer assumes the reader understands the convention. In short, 強えぇ is つえぇ, not つよえぇ.

For words that end in an あ-kana+い, you take out the い and turn the kana before that into its え counterpart and prolong it. So みたい becomes みてぇ, わかんない becomes わかんねぇ,etc.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks :slight_smile: is there a website or book which discuss said rules?

You can read this article here on Imabi, it goes into a lot of detail I think: http://www.imabi.net/adjectivesvsoundchange.htm

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.