How to Pace Grammar Without an SRS Like Bunpro

Merry Christmas everyone! I wanted to ask about how to find a good pace to do grammar without an SRS system like Bunpro. I’ve been following Tokini Andy’s playlist of Genki I on YouTube and doing the Genki I practices on the Steven Kraft website and the online Genki practice website, though I find myself having to review a lot of grammar points everyday.

5 Likes

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think grammar really needs an SRS attached. The thing with Japanese is, that in practice, there are really few actually different grammar points. N list of grammar points usually quickly devolve into a list of either vocabulary or a mix of grammar learned earlier.

Especially early on, if you feel like you need to look up a bunch of grammar all the time that you supposedly should already know, that’s perfectly normal. If you keep on consuming content be that texts from genki, or reading or whatever, the grammar will eventually just stick and you probably won’t have issues with remembering them later on.

13 Likes

I tend to agree. Especially at the earlier stages, you should be encountering and trying to use the grammar often enough that you get plenty of natural repetition without an SRS. You’ll probably want to drill some of the verb conjugation patterns a bit, but they become natural fairly quickly.

9 Likes

I’ll second (third) that, I think that stuff like grammar or frequent vocab doesn’t need SRS to stick, it just needs exposure to the language to aquire that naturally.
What you do with SRS is learn a lot of stuff you don’t have much context to and get confused by that anyway. The frequent points will come up everywhere, so you can just learn it on the way if you don’t understand something. Either it will come naturally the 10th+ time you have seen it and maybe looked it up fast or it is too advanced for you right now anyway and will become clear later when you have learned more of the language.

Many people think that you can’t learn a language if you havn’t drilled in the foundation and it seems logical at first, but actually just reading easy stuff and trying to understand/look up while reading does some kind of magic and it will be aquired. The brain is an excellent pattern recognition machine and does that stuff subconsciously, given time! :wink:

P.S.: Many people praise CureDolly for her many grammar videos, but what actually stuck with me is what she once said somewhere on some board on the net:

Logical grammar is not necessary for learning a language. I have always said that all grammar-learning is a quick and dirty shortcut to acquiring language. To me grammar, like Anki and everything else “study-ish” is merely a temporary support to immersion.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the response! I’m glad to know that I am not the only who constantly has to look up grammar points lol. I also agree with gradually remembering grammar more through consuming content.

1 Like

Thank you as well for the advice! I agree with this too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the response! The information was very helpful! :smiley:

Ironically, I wouldn’t have known about Bunpro without this thread and so far I like it. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Lol XD at least you were able to find a grammar resource that worked for you! :smiley:

2 Likes

By the way, even if you don’t use Bunro’s SRS system, the Bunpro website was designed so that all of its grammar information is freely browsable by anybody, even without an account. Basically, they wanted to make it a publicly accessible resource for information about grammar, as well as a subscription SRS service.

So, you can access the write-ups for all the grammar points, as well as all the reference links in each grammar point’s Resources section. And that also includes each grammar point’s multiple context example sentences.

So, even if you don’t use the SRS, you can still use Bunpro to support your grammar studies. In particular, you can use the Grammar Search to find specific grammar points that you might be trying to understand. In that way, if you’re mainly learning grammar by reading exposure, and you come across some tricky grammar, you can still look it up on Bunpro, read their own write-up about it, and also find links and references to other online and offline (e.g. textbooks) resources that discuss the same grammar point.

Just thought I’d put that out there because from what I can tell, not a lot of people know that Bunpro provides all this basic information for free, without even needing an account.

4 Likes

Thank you wct for the advice! I am already using Bunpro as a grammar look-up source, but this can still help anyone who is looking for information about Bunpro! :slight_smile:

1 Like