How to learn some first session

Hi, I’m new user and I haven’t learn any new lesson for recent day. is there any structure that I have to follow ?

I just replied to your introduction post with useful links such as the FAQ and Guide. Please read through them.

1 Like

Welcome to WaniKani!

The first few levels will feel slow, because of the SRS. However, it DOES get much busier as you level up and accumulate more and more reviews. Definitely check out the FAQ that gojarappe linked to, if you haven’t already had a chance to read it. It covers the main points.

To give you the basic run down, each level you will be given a set number of items that you need to learn, starting with radicals. WaniKani keeps track of how you do in your reviews. Each time you successfully complete a review, the item will move up an SRS level and take longer to come back into your review queue.
Each time you fail to recall that item correctly it will move down a little and show up sooner for review. Successfully review an item four times and it will reach “Guru” level. Once 90% of the radicals reach Guru, you will unlock kanji for your current level, along with some vocabulary.

The basic breakdown for the SRS levels is as follows: 4 hours, 8 hours, 1 day, 2 days (complete this and you are at guru), 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, and 4 months. So you can level up to level 2 in about one week, if you keep on top of your reviews and do new lessons as soon as they unlock. However, if you miss on some of your reviews or put off doing them, it will take longer.

If you just started and you don’t have any new lessons, it is probably because you need to complete more reviews on the level 1 radicals. Unfortunately, there’s no way to speed the process. You must wait for your next review cycle, which is probably in a day or two. This is the SPACED part of Spaced Repetition. It gives you time to forget before your recall is challenged by another review.

I encourage you to use this waiting time to explore the WaniKani community and study Japanese in other ways. There’s always a lot to learn and never enough time in the day!

As others have said, it’s pretty slow goings in the beginning. That said, it starts to pick up right around level 4, which is when you need to subscribe to continue, so it works out.

For now, I’d take some extra time with another facet of learning. Drill in your kana if you don’t have them down yet. If you do, maybe focus a bit on grammar for a while. After a couple weeks, you’ll have more than enough lessons done to keep a steady stream of WK flowing.

Level 1 and 2 SRS intervals are different…
For Level 1 and 2 radicals:
2h, 4h, 8h, 23h (guru), 1w, 2w (master), 1m (enlighten), 4m (burned)
For Level 1 and 2 kanjis and vocabs:
4h, 4h, 8h, 23h (guru), 1w, 2w (master), 1m (enlighten), 4m (burned)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.