How much traffic does Wanikani mobile cause?

Now that I started at my job, my days are packed with things to do, and I can barely find the time to do my reviews.
However, I do realise that I have an hour every day, just sitting on the bus doing nothing important, and was wondering if anyone know an approximate number on how much mobile traffic I have to feed my phone to do my reviews at the bus.
I have no idea who is responsible for the app, or if they’re even still active nowadays, so I suppose the easiest solution is just asking here.
Btw, I’ve got and android, Sony xperia Z3, just to put everything on the table.

I don’t even understand the question tbh, but here are the Android WK Apps:

/t/WaniKani-Mobile-End-of-Support/2134/1
/t/Client-App-WaniKani-for-Android/6035/1

I’m not too sure, it’s not all that much data (I assume this is what you mean by mobile traffic and are using this app :P ) I’m on a galaxy s4.  I take the bus for about two hours a day and do my reviews/lessons on it too. Last month it used about about 55MB of data. I have a tendency to forget to turn on my wifi too.

I just did a session right now, was 23 reviews. Only about 400kb.

idk I’d say something like 300mb but I’m just ballparkin using my 1.6 for the last month on the google app but most of that probably came from other websites

cmunch said... I'm not too sure, it's not all that much data (I assume this is what you mean by mobile traffic and are using this app :P ) I'm on a galaxy s4.  I take the bus for about two hours a day and do my reviews/lessons on it too. Last month it used about about 55MB of data. I have a tendency to forget to turn on my wifi too.

Yea, not that bad.
I just kinda feared that this could be a poorly written app that somehow eats the data like crazy.
Thanks for the answer.

kwecky said...
cmunch said... I'm not too sure, it's not all that much data (I assume this is what you mean by mobile traffic and are using this app :P ) I'm on a galaxy s4.  I take the bus for about two hours a day and do my reviews/lessons on it too. Last month it used about about 55MB of data. I have a tendency to forget to turn on my wifi too.

Yea, not that bad.
I just kinda feared that this could be a poorly written app that somehow eats the data like crazy.
Thanks for the answer.
 No problem! Good luck with your job~!

I would say it’s probably only around 1 megabytes tops, and likely much less after you first visit the site. It’s not much bigger than loading a website and navigating around it a bit. There’s just a few small images and some basic text communication for loading HTML pages and RESTful APIs which is tiny.

Are you planning on using the audio? Than it will be more.

Honestly when I lack internet, I use my personal hotspot and use my pc to go on wanikani and do reviews. It eats about 500kb or so for a review of 100.

Just get unlimited data, its super convenient! 便利! I basically have internet everywhere I go now for downloading and watching netflix, thanks to unlimited data.

hdloader11 said... Honestly when I lack internet, I use my personal hotspot and use my pc to go on wanikani and do reviews. It eats about 500kb or so for a review of 100.

Just get unlimited data, its super convenient! 便利! I basically have internet everywhere I go now thanks to unlimited data.

Is your unlimited data plan with full speed? What country is that and how much does it cost? Sounds too good to be true. :D

hdloader11 said... Honestly when I lack internet, I use my personal hotspot and use my pc to go on wanikani and do reviews. It eats about 500kb or so for a review of 100.

Just get unlimited data, its super convenient! 便利! I basically have internet everywhere I go now thanks to unlimited data.

Is your unlimited data plan with full speed? What country is that and how much does it cost? Sounds too good to be true. :D

christiaaan said... Are you planning on using the audio? Than it will be more.
 I do use the audio during my reviews and it still doesn't really cause a dramatic increase in data usage.

christiaaan said...

I too have unlimited 4G LTE :P Living in the USA, T-mobile <3

Forgot to answer cost, I pay $35 USD a month.

christiaaan said...

In the US, I have the old Verizon plan with unlimited full speed data, they no longer have that on sale, but I can keep it forever as long as I don't change my plan. Its like $65 a month.

In Turkey however, my unlimited data gets throttled after 4 gigabytes, which is sad :( But I still spend total of 20 gigabytes a month or so. It costs $15 , and its the best internet plan you can get.

Wow. Real unlimited data and it’s cheap. I hear so much complaining about the US cell phone carries, but that offer is a real good deal.

kwecky said...

Yea, not that bad.
Thanks for the answer.
 Those apps are akin to a web browser - they iframe the actual website itself, that's the only way you have authentication to do your reviews. So it's based on what WK loads per session itself, and what the apps may cache from it.

christiaaan said... Wow. Real unlimited data and it's cheap. I hear so much complaining about the US cell phone carries, but that offer is a real good deal.
 Unlimited never means unlimited. It's always got clauses around what that actually means, and what you're entitled to.

christiaaan said... Wow. Real unlimited data and it's cheap. I hear so much complaining about the US cell phone carries, but that offer is a real good deal.
 That's why it no longer exists lol. Only if you bought the plan at the time, you can use it. Now Verizon decided to throttle the new data plans.

T-Mobile begins throttling data after 5gb.  I have unlimited data with Sprint, and they don't currently throttle data, but coverage and speeds are horrible.  I'm still able to use 30gb+ a month, though, without them slowing down my connection.  T-Mobile used to slow my speeds down to a crawl after the first few days of the month because of my usage.  It was practically unusable.

I don’t know, but my data increased significntly when i used wanikani in the holiday

mgs2ss said...
 T-Mobile begins throttling data after 5gb.  I have unlimited data with Sprint, and they don't currently throttle data, but coverage and speeds are horrible.  I'm still able to use 30gb+ a month, though, without them slowing down my connection.  T-Mobile used to slow my speeds down to a crawl after the first few days of the month because of my usage.  It was practically unusable.
 Nope, some of T-mobile's plans throttle at 5GB, some of their plans don't. Depends on which one you ended up choosing.