How long to burn all items once you reach level 60?

Im starting to think about what Ill do once I finish level 60.

One option would be to finish burning all items. On one level it would be satisfying to know that I`ve burned all of the items, but it also seems like it could consume a lot of time that would be better utilized reading native material or diving into grammar.

For those of you that have burned all items, how long did it actually take you after you finished level 60?

2 Likes

If you don’t get any reviews wrong, it takes six months from starting level 60 to burning everything (because that’s how long it takes to burn the items you unlocked at level 60).

5 Likes

Is it actually possible to burn all items? They would need to not add any new items for at least 6 months.

4 Likes

Ah yes. That too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

i feel like I will quit before I burn all my leeches. I don’t know what I will do with the time.

2 Likes

I reached level 60 about 18 months ago and I’m working on burning everything. 303 items left to burn, but it’s going to be slow, as my accuracy for enlightened items is about 70%, so I expect it to take another year, and that’s assuming no new items being added. I say go for it, your reviews will decrease a lot (I have less than 10 a day) so there’ll be plenty of time to study other stuff. 頑張ってください!

7 Likes

Burning 100% of items is the Ultimate Feat of Wanikani, anyone who can do it and provide proof that they did it will win a name for themselves forever. LV60 is like sailing over the horizon in a wind-propelled ship, reaching a different country, and coming back without a map. 100% Burning is like sailing around the world under those conditions. I don’t know that anyone’s done it.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply–that gives me a good idea of the timeline I would be looking at.

1 Like

As Belthazar said, it takes 6 months for your first attempt to burn something. But, getting 100% correct isn’t realistic. There have been users getting to 100% burns, but it takes years to get there. Missing a burn review adds quite a bit of time after all.

But, it’s really not necessary to burn all items before you simply call it quits.

I burnt a bit over 80% and that’s plenty imo. My subscription ended or I would have kept at it until 90% or so. Your time is better spent learning more advanced grammar, additional vocab outside of WK, and doing immersion, speaking/listening practice and so forth. The gain of burning all items is just too small at that stage of learning Japanese.

2 Likes

I reached level 60 14 months ago and now I have burned 80% of the items (1788 items left). The number of daily reviews is going down, but some leeches are very sticky.

I thought I would get at 0 apprentice items soon, but I haven’t succeeded yet. My closest number was 3 (9 today).

5 Likes

I never managed that feat either. The lowest number was 1 before some guru level leech fell back down.

1 Like

I reached level 60 2 years ago and this is what I have -

My apprentice is not always 0 too, it’s only a recent thing xD. I’d suggest doing self-study for recent mistakes if you want to get rid of the leeches, but it doesn’t work all the time.

And yeah, you’re better off consuming native material and doing grammar after level 60 if you haven’t already imo. You can continue doing reviews until you feel satisfied but it’s not necessary to burn absolutely everything. I’m still doing my reviews on WK just because I have a lifetime

4 Likes

I originally considered reaching lvl 60 and finishing all the lessons as the halfway point. That gives a clear endpoint while still allowing plenty of time to burn items. It still feels like a realistic ‘end’ to a daily review habit and I know now I’ll comfortably pass 90% burns by that point.
And after? I will probably come back to review (I have lifetime like FlamySerpent), but I’ll probably ween myself off of the twice daily schedule.

4 Likes

If you are confused why your post is showing up that way, it’s because you are using ` (which creates a code block) instead of ’

2 Likes