How fast should I be progressing?

Haha, I’m the same as anyone else in here :smiling_face: But I appreciate your kind words, really do.

Also glad that you’re still around! Almost level 20, almost 1/3 of it done!!! Cheers for what’s coming :smiling_face:

Lol I don’t think so, I am honestly not sure how can someone reach level 60 so quickly… You either need a good memory to always pass the reviews, or ignore vocab or ignore reviews completely except kanji and radicals… How did you do it? Do you have many items burned? Or are you in review hell?

With my pace, I am probably gonna get there only in a year or two, which would make me what, 4 years total?

But yeah, I stuck with it and I’ve been really enjoying being able to read text much more frequently, whatever in manga or on twitter. Excited how I’ll feel after another 10 levels!

2 Likes

Yes.

Anyways, make sure to keep up with grammar exercises as well. Without it, it doesn’t matter how much kanji you learn. Moreover, you should probably start reading at your level some easier material like NHK Easy.

1 Like

Pretty much what my fellow xyzbuster said. At a 1y to lvl 60 speed, it can go up to around 400 reviews a day on the last levels. But Japanese is pretty much about balancing your skills. Being too good at 1 thing is awesome, but that being your only skill is not. Grammar is really important for beginners in my opinion :slight_smile:

In terms of the method itself, it’s what I’ve been mentioning around here.

As many have stated the speed is a bit of trial and error to see if it fits to you.
What helps me a great deal is to write the kanji on paper as I learn them, also I write the onyomi in Hiragana and Kunyomi in Katakana to daisy chain learning them and to become more familiar with writing and reading Japanese in general.
I know around 300 kanji from self-study so dont let my level deceive me, I already spent a lot of time learning.

Don’t worry, I’ve been covered on most bases for awhile. I do 1 formal Japanese class a week, I try to chat daily on HelloTalk in Japanese only and I use Bunpro everyday for my grammar (which is damn great, love it). I’ve been trying follow WaniKani guide on which level do what, and as they said to start reading on lvl20, I’ve been looking into that myself. Might join the Japanese reading class here on WK

1 Like

I think I actually got to agree with koichi approach to grammar → learn vocab first, then tackle grammar. I started the other way around, with classic classroom learning and grammar was always damn challenging to me. But when I started WK, I didn’t do much grammar. But when I finally picked it up, at maybe level 12, it was a breeze and I now just practice by chatting with people + using Bunpro and weekly Japanese class for formally learning new pieces of grammar. Love it

P.S. haha that was a bit dumb of me, I knew you must be using the method you suggested. But I am curious what was your burned/enlightened ratio to the rest going at this speed though

1 Like

It won’t deceive me :smiley: I learned a lot of kanji before discovering WK myself, but using Learning Kanji book and then finding Kohii website. But damn WK made it a nicer experience

1 Like

Well, I’m going at near full speed (7 days per level), and my breakdown looks like this:

Pretty much everything is in enlightened + burned.
Adding in the 13 lessons I have at the moment, that’s 81.2% of all my items.

As long as you are doing reviews on time, and you keep a regular lesson input, the fraction should be consistent no matter how many lessons you do per day. (There’s a nice thread giving the mathematical theory behind that; look up queue theory on the forum)

1 Like

Interesting, I didn’t know about that, will be curious to find that thread. But, what I meant, is that it gets increasingly hard to learn a lot of new items a day and keep up with the reviews. I found for myself, that when I get reviews in the range of 200-250, it gets really tough to get through them, before they start piling up. Which is why I stopped doing 10 items a day, instead doing 10 items 4 times a week

1 Like

I think that’s changes quite a bit from person to person, so that’s not really important. For example, I reached lvl 60 with less than 3700 items burned, but you can find a lot of users with almost that much burned items and half my level.

Are you aware of the concept of leeches? Simple stuff as reviewing items that you get wrong after a review session can do wonders :slight_smile:

Yeah, that doesn’t sound like a lot, considering I got over a thousand on level 20. But whatever works for you! I’ll probably experiment with speed at some point again, to see if I can speed up without feeling overwhelmed or that quality of my reviews decreased.

I know of leeches of course and have a script to be able to review them. But I never got into habit of reviewing them and a lot of them didn’t even feel like leaches. But I definitely have a few I know off. I usually fix them by coming up with a better mnemonic or improving my visualisation of it

I feel like the Pareto principle is very accurate while I do reviews. I know 80% of the words well and they take 20% of my energy while the other 20% I don’t know as well and they end up taking 80% of my energy. That’s why I mentioned leeches. The common advice is to not give them much of your time, since they’re just a bucket of water in a pool. However, I feel that at least it’s important to review them to yourself right after the review session. Not all items have the same level of “leechiness”. If you can prevent some from becoming real suckers, why not :stuck_out_tongue:

Already stuck a couple of months on lv8, no progress, 400 reviews daily.

do you get your reviews down to zero every day, and still have 400 to do every day? 大変!
If you keep getting the same apprentice items wrong, I would suggest spending some more time relearning those.

Can you recommend a good leeches script? I’m reaching the point where I could definitely use this, but unsure which scripts are the best to use! Thanks!

Taken from the WK Guide I’m writing:

• Wanikani Self-Study Quiz: Have you ever wished to review a certain type of items or from a specific level? This is it. This script allows you do an extra and personalized reviewing of any items you’ve already learned on WK. Do not worry, as this script will not influence the SRS level of items.

• WaniKani Open Framework Additional Filters: This script serves as an upgrade to the Self-Study one I mentioned above. Basically, it will add filters such as “most recent items learned” and “leeches” (most difficult items for you) to your Self-Study script. For the distance of just a couple clicks, you can get all the extra reinforcement on the items you need the most :slight_smile:

1 Like

The one I used was this one: [Unsupported] Leech training script

But seems to not work anymore, although someone re-deployed it.

That’s a lot of reviews for such a level. Can you post screenshot of your levels overview. You got to continue learning new items weekly, even if you have reviews to do. It took me awhile to understand that, I would always make my reviews go to 0 before I’d pick up new items. That’s not the case anymore, I always do 40 new items a week, even if I have things to review (which is now always). I would prioritise reviews though, maybe clean 50-70 before picking up new items, just to make sure they don’t get out of hand

Most of the time I’m around less than 50% correction.