How do you type kanji/hiragana/katakana on your keyboard?

For Mac, just turn it on:

2 Likes

ありがとう :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a reason you don’t want to use an IME at the OS level?

1 Like

Probably they didn’t know you can set it up like that.
Or maybe they have a “single language OS” like I do… I either have to set my entire computer in japanese or I can’t add a japanese keyboard.

Thank god for the google one.

2 Likes

What OS if you don’t mind me asking?

Maybe the OP doesn’t have administrator privileges?

On my work computer the OS allowed me to install/activate the Windows IME, but then prompted me for an administrator password to switch from romaji to hiragana. :unamused: (I’m so happy I learned about Flaming Durtles. My problem solved!

ETA: I may have been too brief. :sweat_smile: To clarify, the app doesn’t solve my IME issue on the desktop. What it does is improve my phone’s WK interface to the point that I prefer it to the desktop version AND together with the installed Japanese language pack on my phone, I can do everything I need to in one place–a portable place too :slightly_smiling_face: )

2 Likes

That’s so weird… You’d think it would just stop you from enabling the IME to begin with.

3 Likes

Windows, there’s apparently, single language packs of windows home… :c

1 Like

They are usually single language pack I think. That shouldn’t stop you from installing a second language to type in. If you go to Language Settings, can you not add Japanese?

1 Like

Hmm, I mean I tried, on the settings menu it says under the japanese language “Your windows license allows only one language to display” or something like that (I’m translating it from spanish)
And when I switch to the japanese, I can’t change to type on hiragana, the taskbar shows an A no matter how many times I try and change it.

I can only assume it’s cause of the kind of windows I have installed, but oh well, the google one works just as well I imagine, haven’t had issues with it

2 Likes

I believe thats one of the differences between home and professional.

1 Like

Yeah, or I don’t know if there’s a “home multi language” or something, but apparently I’d have to upgrade for that option, and no thank you lol

1 Like

No, you can have multiple languages installed on Home.

3 Likes

Mine at work does the same. It clearly has the choice, but won’t switch to any but the normal American/English without an admin. I guess they could theoretically let you use, say, Japanese but not Russian, or something like that? idk.

If I want to type kana at work, I have to open a browser window in Google Translate, type it in there with the built-in IME, then cut/paste. It’s a PITA.

2 Likes

I’m glad I have admin access on my work computer and can basically do whatever I want. Of course, they can track everything I do and install, but they don’t really care.

3 Likes

It kind of makes sense where I work (although I’m just making this up in my head; I’ve never asked). They have keyword scanners to help prevent people from accidentally sending out classified info, and those probably wouldn’t be set up to scan other languages.

That’s actually “government logic”, though. Dedicated leakers can figure out how to defeat that if they want to, and there’s nobody accidentally typing classified stuff in WaniKani reviews.

4 Likes

Well, it’s like locking your door. If a robber wanted they could break it down or whatever, but it still works at deterring certain people

1 Like

Unless… :eyes:

5 Likes

Holy moley, this was a thousand times more easy to install and setup and use than the Win10 JP IME… AAAAANNNNDDDDD since my other computer is a chromebook, it automatically just WORKS ON THAT ALSO…

It technically doesn’t work on office (though I mostly use 365 through Chrome anyways, so it does)

Wish I could give 10x likes.

2 Likes

Yep, didn’t know I could do that. I’ve set it up on windows now.