How do I mute a forum thread?

Hello

I like reading the forum.

However, a few of the threads grind my gears when they always appear in the forum overview (probably because I’m old and grumpy).

I’ve seen people mentioning that you can ‘mute’ a forum thread which sounds like what I should do.

I looked around the UI but couldn’t see how to do this at all :slight_smile: Can someone help me out? I did see that there is a keyboard shortcut listed for ‘mute’ but it didn’t seem to do anything.

Thanks!

6 Likes

At the bottom of each thread, there’s a button that reads either ‘Normal’ or ‘Tracking’ or ‘Watching’ or ‘Mute’. Click on it to change it to a different setting.

2 Likes

I too hate the poll thread.

14 Likes

If you’re super cranky like I am (and also super lazy) just click on the offending thread, hit the letter m twice and you’re done!

11 Likes

Holy hotkeys, Batman! I didn’t realize that was a thing. ありがとうございました!!

6 Likes

Funny story: one time I selected “watching” on the poll thread just to see what would happen.

Never again.

13 Likes

This is the only way I can imagine how that must have been like:

-W7v23

16 Likes

Thanks for the quick replies everyone :sunny: Yeah, it was the poll thread I wanted rid of the most (plus some other ones from campfire).

Is it intended behavior for the thread to still appear under the ‘RECENT COMMUNITY TOPICS’ section even when muted?

This is a topic I can get behind. I have dozens of threads muted.

What, on the dashboard? That’s not part of the Discourse platform, so I don’t know if they can do anything about that. The forum used to be on WK’s own site, which is what that thing dates back to.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was referring to the section that’s on the dashboard. It always catches my attention but I’ll go directly to the main forum site instead.

Also good to hear I’m not the only one annoyed by (IMHO) obnoxious forum threads. I can only assume that some people do find them enjoyable…

I‘ll tell you something although I’m not sure if that counts as blasphemy or something: you can mute an entire forum too. My study time has gone up since I muted campfire.

Edit: and on the dashboard I have a custom stylesheet or something to hide the forums entirely. Too easy to get drawn in otherwise…
I can look it up if you can‘t find it.

3 Likes

I may have done this as well. Though it’s not campfire that I muted :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah…

It’s… rough. :sweat:

Accurate.

Please accept my formal apology. :bowing_woman: I swear I had no idea what a monster I was creating.

10 Likes

The first time around, I can believe it. But for the second one? You HAD to know what you were doing :face_with_monocle:

13 Likes

@TomatoSalad It was pretty much like that. But, my e-mail inbox instead.

There are some things you shouldn’t ever experiment on, not even for science. The poll thread is definitely one of those things.

4 Likes

:open_mouth: Thank you for this revelation! Took me a few seconds to find the innocuous circle in the top right corner to do it, but I do expect this will help my focus. Cheers!

2 Likes

True. But the second one is more for the #pollfam than myself. As you may have noticed, I’m much less active there now.

3 Likes

I tend to go to the forums by clicking menu --> community on the dashboard. That way you don’t have to constantly see the same threads pop up in the recent community topics. :smiley:

@irrelephant What is this custom stylesheet you mentioned? Never heard of it. Is it a script?

Guess which thread I just muted?

• Poll Thread
  • Pole Thread

0 voters

2 Likes

On the one hand there is [Userscript] Wanikani Procrastination Annihilation which will hide the forum only when you have reviews to do.

And for hiding it permanently there is this custom style: https://userstyles.org/styles/144763/wanikani-remove-useless-panels and an explanation for how to hide only the forum: Hiding the Forum

3 Likes