Help me with this sentences

I’ll do this when I have a moment in the diagramming thread.

I think you are referring to these two sentences?

その色を黒 と する

and

ニューヨークへ行く と 良いレストランがある

?

If so, then yes, I expect the sentence (syntax) diagrams to differ because one comes after a 名詞(めいし) and the other after a 動詞(どうし) .

It interests me, by the way, that I tend to try to combine nuances of meaning into as few “buckets” as possible, while linguists like yourself seem to be uncomfortable without exhaustive, fine-grained enumeration and separation of every potential semantic nuance.

I mostly just apply loose “rules” when speaking or reading, based on obvious syntactical usage (particle between nouns vs. after verbs, etc.).

I’m more interested in Japanese conversation than anything. Reading and grammar studies to me are mostly in pursuit of more natural conversation. There’s no time when conversing to apply complex rules or reason about long lists of possibilities.

Yet another example of “lies we tell children” I suspect (academic thoroughness vs. “shortcut thinking” for pedagogy or time constraints).

(Aaaaand I’ve just wasted several minutes, even without diagramming, when I should be doing something else…)

1 Like