才 radical: "talent" not "genius"

…covered in 幺

25 Likes

I just use radicals to be aware of the forms in kanji to better distinguish two similar kanji. The meanings aren’t really useful to me. That said, I do develop assocations with radicals by learning kanji afterwards. Many of the radicals with original meanings (different from the Wanikani ones) are much more intuitive to me, while I never ‘learned’ those.

3 Likes

“Genius” actually does mean “talent” in one of its meanings.

But show her the “greenhouse”-kanji (yes kanji, not radical) :smiling_imp: :joy:

6 Likes

I believe WaniKani also have untraditional radicals as well. And it’s not encoded in fonts, just simply an image file…

2 Likes

Unless you put an unrelated person’s image next to a quote that he never said

9 Likes

It appears that many native Japanese speakers have the same reaction to much that is taught here. (My wife also made similar comments.)

“What?! No, that’s wrong! Why on earth would you teach unusual/obscure word instead of common word? Why is that taught before that?!” Etc.

True experts are often, usually even, the worst teachers. They know all the exceptions, all the nuances, all the confusing factors. They sometimes find it painful to over-simplify in an attempt to teach the basics of something. They worry about precision and factual truth more than pedagogy.

It reminds me of something I read a long time ago. (I think, but I’m not sure that it was in the book “The Science of Discworld” if there any other Terry Pratchett fans here.)

The author discussed “lies we tell children”. The answers to “Why is grass green?” and “What causes rainbows?” are incredibly, outrageously, ridiculously complicated. Very few adults really know the real answers (I certainly don’t) so we just mutter vague hand-wavy things (maybe even mentioning chlorophyll, moisture-induced diffraction and other things that we don’t really understand).

By teaching a “lie” (an oversimplification) the student understands just enough to make progress. They either lose interest, or they start asking better questions and finding better answers, eventually drilling down to “truth”.

Wanikani won’t make us expert linguists. We won’t achieve a deep understanding of Japanese, but it demonstrably provides enough of a basis for we “children” to learn enough to start asking better questions and understanding the answers.

91 Likes

I often make up my own names for the radicals if I don’t like what Wanikani gives me

2 Likes

I think most native speakers would be shocked by how many of the things THEY were taught in school aren’t really linguistically correct.

17 Likes

They do admit the kanji doesn’t mean greenhouse and tell you what it does mean.

3 Likes

I tried to argue along these lines, but after 11 years of marriage, my desire to prolong an argument is barely existent. I was coming here more to share the tribulation than to lodge a recommendation. It’s good to know that I’m not the only one who has experienced this.

The solution, in this case, would be for me to go back to not sharing any aspect of my Japanese language learning with my spouse, as more often than not, it leads to some form of argument.

12 Likes

Yeah. If you can speak Japanese gud by the end of it, what does it matter how you got there?

9 Likes

I briefly debated sending this link to her, but she’s moved on overnight, and the last thing I need is to poke that hornets’ nest again. Maybe if she brings it up in the future…

13 Likes

This thread is in risk of turning into one on marriage advice, but I’m sure others have noticed that any particularly odd WK vocabulary choice is guaranteed to be on your screen whenever your spouse walks by. A few have evoked outright laughter, but mostly it’s just head-shaking at this point.

14 Likes

*金玉 intensifies*

16 Likes

I can’t agree with this enough. I’ve been on both sides of the table over the years and realized that teaching is a skill on its own and facility in whatever subject matter doesn’t equate to facility in teaching the subject matter.

That’s why good teachers are so rare.

Huge Sir Pterry fan. :wink:

All 3 volumes of Science of the Discworld are great reads and the concept of “lies to children” is a powerful one. Many of our most advanced theories may become lies to children in time.

19 Likes

My money’s on the full KO in the last 10 seconds of round 1.

2 Likes

Oh boy, I didn’t know that OP is married to Floyd Mayweather Jr.

1 Like

You have officially just made my month. I just dusted off the first from my bookshelf for a re-read. I had no idea there was more.

So many of my favorite authors had the temerity to up and die on me after I’d read all of their works. Discovering that there is more in this series makes me happier than is seemly.

Wait! Wikipedia references volume IV. Hooray!

6 Likes

To be fair, a native language speaker can’t entirely grasp the difficulty of their own language. So much is inherent in growing up with a language and that just can’t be taught. Wanikani does their best to make kanji acquisition easy for learners (especially at early levels), and sometimes that means editing word association to better suit language learner needs ^^;

8 Likes

I wonder what is up with the “Japanese spouse” meme, but it looks like the situation is very real :frowning: .

Then again, the advice someone’s husband gave on the がつ vs げつ distinction was surprisingly solid so I think their opinion is worthwhile, because what we don’t have here often is a native speaker perspective. :slight_smile:

3 Likes