Help me decipher this date!

After running some circles, I now understand everything on my Japanese karate diploma, except for the date:

It should be August 7th 2011, but for me the writing before the 年 just doesn’t make any sense. Please help me solve this mystery!

2 Likes

Looks like Heisei 23. Take a look at the wikipedia pages to learn more about Japanese eras

12 Likes

Ah, of course! I really should have known this. Thanks!
That’s quite an interesting 十, by the way. :smile:

4 Likes

Could be worse. 二十 is sometimes written in calligraphy as 廿 or 卄.

7 Likes

There should be a WaniKani hard mode, where you have to recognize handwritten kanji.

5 Likes
10 Likes

It may have been naive to think that nobody thought about it before…

5 Likes

It’s a really cool script. You just have to install some cursive fonts to your computer and add them to the script and they’ll show up during reviews.

3 Likes

If you haven’t tried them already, some of the built-in alternate fonts on Tsurukame are quite a challenge to read.

Edit: Not built-in but easily downloadable within the app.

2 Likes

It’s also helpful to learn your birthday in the Japanese era way. This will likely be 昭和 (Showa) or 平成 (Heisei) __ 年. More places are starting to have the western calendar year on documents but many still require you to circle your Japanese birthday and write in the number.

6 Likes

I’m Showa 50. I wonder how to remember that…

I mean there could be folks on here from the 大正 era. A lot more likely than seeing anyone from 令和, unless they’re extremely precocious.

3 Likes

For actual handwriting, there’s always the Let’s Decipher Stylised Kanji thread - especially in recent posts, where we’ve been discussing goshuin. :slightly_smiling_face:

“Likely”? You don’t think there’s any 大正 babies still lurking around these forums? Or 令和 literal babies?

I got to learn the reading of 20日 plenty fast, because the day we learnt the days-of-the-month readings in class, we immediately had an exercise where we got to mingle around and tell our birthdays to our classmates. Birth years weren’t covered, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s what I need, too :slight_smile:

I may give a try to the font randomizer in Flaming Durtles. It seems to support jitai, too. I know there are some fancy fonts used out there in the wild, so it definitely doesn’t hurt to be more familiar with them.

1 Like

All my fellow Meiji era kids say…

2 Likes

I just wanted to say:
Whoop! Whoop!

But Discourse seemed to dislike the idea:
Jegyzet%202019-11-26%20134520

1 Like

If struggling with Japanese-style era dates, I’ll just pop the date into jisho.org and it’ll convert it. Check this out:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.