Has anyone used Migaku?

Been thinking about using migaku this time round learning Japanese and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it. If so how is it? what is it that you like or dislike about it and do you think it actually benefits your language learning?

6 Likes

Migaku’s browser extension is going through a huge rewrite at the moment, so anything that’s said about Migaku will be outdated once that happens.

When they started out, a lot of what they provided either wasn’t available anywhere else, or not done as well as they put together. However, in the time they’ve been working on their rewrite, others have caught up and in some cases surpassed them for Japanese. (Migaku covers multiple languages.)

That said, here are some tools I’ve used and enjoyed:

Generating Anki cards

I’m able to quickly and easily generate Anki cards from text on web pages and digital books as well as anime subtitle files.

I’m on hiatus from SRS at the moment, although I’m planning to get started back up now that Migaku has done an alpha release if their own in-house SRS application. I’m looking forward to a simplified SRS experience, which their SRS application promises. (One can still opt to create Anki cards instead if they want to stick with Anki.)

Kanji God Anki add-on

I’m waiting for this to be integrated into their in-house SRS, but I used it quite a bit as an Anki add-on (before going on SRS hiatus). It’s kind of like WaniKani, but the kanji you learn is based on the vocabulary cards you create. (For anyone new to learning kanji, I do recommend using WaniKani for at least 15 to 30 levels before deciding if you want to switch to something like Migaku’s Kanji God. For me, WaniKani reached a point where most of the new kanji it teaches never show up in any of the material I read.)

Tracking Known Words

This is one of the main draws for me, in that when I read something in a browser, it lets me easily see which words I’m learning, which ones I don’t know, and which sentences have only one unknown word (good to create a flash card from).

I like how it lets me streamline creating Anki cards and tracking my reading.

My main dislike is that it was originally going to be open source, but as more developers were added that changed. There are minor issues here and there (such as the browser extension breaking copy/paste in Google Sheets) that I wish I could go in and fix myself.

Overall, Migaku is built on the idea that you are reading native material and mining sentences for flash cards. If you plan to do that, it’s definitely worth a look.

Another consideration is Kitsun, which overlaps with Migaku features for creating cards, but without Anki support. (Kitsun has its own in-house SRS platform.) One advantage to Kitsun is that community decks are available if you want to use premade decks. They also have a separate platform, MaruMori, which is more focused on Japanese and includes grammar lessons. (Migaku plans to have grammar lessons as well, but that hasn’t reached alpha release yet.)

Personally, I’m sticking with Migaku, but it’s worth checking out free trials of both.

Edit: I forgot to respond on this part:

Before I went on SRS hiatus, I used Migaku often to streamline creating Anki cards. Things like Forvo integration make like a lot easier than trying to create cards manually. But I’m getting less use of Migaku at the moment as I’m currently not doing any SRS.

If I ever get serious about listening practice, I’m going to be all-in on using Migaku’s tools and doing SRS again.

6 Likes

Wow thanks for such a lengthy response! I will give both a try (the free trails) I have only just discovered the kanji god and honestly that might be super helpful as I want to go a bit faster through WK because I already know most of the kanji for 12 or so levels and will probably find the first month or so a bit of a drag not learning much new kanji.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.