Happiness Week 6 - Absolute Beginners Book Club

My method for yoru cafe is having a dictionary, ichi.moe and deepl open on one side of my screen and the book on another. Usually I go from dictionary → ichi.moe → deepl, depending on how little I understand. Well, the amount of times I needed to do the full migration is embarassingly high, but I’m starting to see patterns.

Also, most chapters there are easy front and back, really difficult for one or two pages in the middle, so if you suddenly struggle a lot, it might be that.

1 Like

Another interesting week…

This girl is cracking me up. I kind of interpreted this whole situation as her being kind of flattered/intrigued by what happened. She doesn’t seem scared or upset at all, but wants to know more about him? I was worried we would have another terrible misunderstanding where he gets branded as a pervert, but maybe he’ll get another ally instead.

Excited to read more next week! As always, thanks for the grammar breakdowns and vocabulary discussions. I didn’t check out the vocabulary sheet before reading, and ended up misreading the furigana for 我慢 (がまん) as かまん. I was so frustrated with the dictionary for not helping me out, haha. Those tiny, tiny characters…

11 Likes

I’m convinced it is 助けて because he also says ちがう and やめろ indicating that he cannot control his movement of trying to bite the girl. In the end where he goes for the bite his tongue gets forced down into his mouth. And the す and て sounds can only be made when the tongue is up. If you try to pronounce them with your tongue down they will also come out as ふ and へ. That’s my theory anyway.

Edit: also notice that け can be pronounced with the tongue down which is why it didn’t change.

5 Likes

Seems that Makoto has a new friend! Maybe leaning more towards love interest. They have the “?!?!?!” and teasing dynamic going on, which I like.

4 Likes

Just finished reading this week’s. I’m really liking Gosho’s character design. It seems like she’s going to be a rather oddball of a character (in a good way, I’m digging it) given how she reacted to the situation. In another timeline where it’s someone else instead of Gosho, it might have ended in a scream and a punch straight into Okazaki’s face, hah. Maaaybe Gosho might just be the one who Okazaki can talk to about his situation since she doesn’t seem like she’ll be fazed by it?

And thanks everyone for asking and giving great answers regarding たふけへ. I completely missed it the first time I read it.

10 Likes

Heeeey, I almost caught up! I’m gonna read this part tomorrow.

5 Likes

I went from “can I stop” to almost falling behind :crazy_face:
Got it done just in time though!

And it is getting interesting! I’m so glad I picked these up!

4 Likes

The week 7 thread is up! On to chapter 4:

3 Likes

I asked for help on this topic on hinative.com and some native speakers agreed that it does in fact mean 助けて. So there you go. (for their answers: What is the meaning of "たふけへ"? - Question about Japanese | HiNative)

3 Likes

Thank you for checking and sharing! (and I’m slightly proud I got that right :tada: gaining some intuition!)

1 Like

Tomorrow turned to “next week” but hey, at least I’m reading.

5 Likes