Happiness Volume 1 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

It’s free and I need to start reading more, Guess I’m joining in.

3 Likes

I’m excited to join this. Got the free digital copy and the start of the bookclub lines right up with my master thesis deadline!

5 Likes

Guys there is like 24 hours left to get the book (vol 1,2,3) for free, on bookwalker! Now’s your chance!

I am super excited to participate in this!

6 Likes

I don’t see Happiness listed at all in the free section. I already bought a hard copy, but wouldn’t mind a free second and third volume. Am I missing something?

follow the bookwalker link in the original post, the first 3 volumes are listed for free there

1 Like

Got them, thank you. Strange that they didn’t show up as free when I searched the titles, and in the free section, they didn’t show up. Either way I snagged volumes 2 and 3.

1 Like

Sorry for the spam. Just a clarification since it’s my first book club here. Does the March 5 start date mean that, ideally, we’ll have the first assigned pages (I think 3-19?) read before March 5? In other words, is March 5 when a thread will be created and we’ll jump in to start discussing what we’ve read?

1 Like

March 5th starts the first week. Most people will probably start reading and discussing during that week. You can read the part before then, of course, if you prefer, but that’s when discussion will start.

3 Likes

Thanks for letting me know this was free! Picked up the volumes, I was umming and ahhing about taking part but that settles it.

2 Likes

I picked up a free copy and will be joining too! I tried the Beginner Book Club awhile back, but it was a little too much for me to keep up with. I’m hoping this will be a little more my pace, and that I’ll finally finish my first Japanese media that’s not a graded reader!

5 Likes

I got a copy, I can’t wait for it to start

1 Like

I got my copy from Manga Republic (they most definitely have my future business) on Two’s day but waited until today to open it. Along with a well packaged book, I got some paper back book covers, a bookmark, and an Omikuji. I have to go to work soon so I’ll have to see my fortune later, but what a cool extra!

3 Likes

Hey guys! I’d also like to join, but I’m having trouble getting the digital format.
So, I went for the amazon route, and I first had to create a new account for whatever strange reasons, as the Japanese and Chinese Amazon don’t accept other amazon accounts.
Now I’m trying to sign in to my newly downloaded Amazon Kindle app, but they won’t accept the Japanese account, as they say, it doesn’t exist. What should I do?

Also, when I search for the maga, it doesn’t come up in the Kindle app.

I’d love to join this book club, but I don’t think my reading level is quite ready yet. I’ll wait for the next read, and I’ll be looking forward to it!

1 Like

Just over a week to go til we start! :tada:

Just a reminder, each week I’ll post a new thread for that week’s discussion. I’ll link to these here and in the opening post so keep this thread on “watching”. We usually follow Japanese timing so the club starts officially as it turns midnight in Japan on 5th March, although in practice I’ll usually put up the thread at some point on Friday evening European time.

@Sunstorm I can’t answer your Amazon question, and I avoid Amazon exactly because people run into these sorts of issues. But hopefully someone can help. I linked a guide to buying digital books on Amazon in the opening post, I don’t know if that will help.

7 Likes

I just normally signed in, so I don’t really know what went wrong here. Maybe double check your email and password are correct?

I assume by default it’ll show your country’s Kindle library, which doesn’t have all the Japanese content. After signing in with a Japanese account, it should automatically switch to the Japanese library though.

3 Likes

This is my first WK book club and I’m so excited! The idea of reading is very motivating to me, so I’m glad to have all of you folks to journey along with. :durtle:

16 Likes

I just finished my first, and it was great. The people on the forum are super helpful. Don’t be afraid to ask questions no matter how dumb they might seem to you!

7 Likes

This will also be my first book club. I’ve been studying grammar all month, so it’ll be an awesome way to put it into practice. I’m very excited! This manga looks great too!

7 Likes

Greetings everyone! Also for me, this will be my first book club. I completed level A1 on “Busuu” for learning the grammar, but paused for some time now. Currently I´m just doing WK and consuming Japanese as much as I can.
I already read a bit of Japanese (e.g. よつばと!Vol.01)and now looking forward, to read ハピネス in a guided and structured way.
So, よろしくお願いします!

7 Likes