Grammar question about hypothetical "would be"

Hey everyone, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. I tried looking for a thread consolidation grammar questions but didn’t see any.

The following phrase came up while I was reading 天気の子 (Weathering with you):

“それぐらい渡したくもなる”

The context is the character is surprised at how much payment they received after doing a job. They think it’s a mistake but their friend says the above phrase.

I understand that it means something along the lines of “I’d be tempted to give you that much”, but I don’t really know how to reach the hypothetical from this.

I get that the も in the part “渡したくも” is marking like an extent, so to the extent they have the desire to give that much, but the なる being non-past tense doesn’t make sense to me, so I think I’m just missing a knowledge gap in grammar.

My first thought is to interpret なる as “I become” or “I will become” but definitely not “I would [become to the extent I want to give that amount]” or something. Can non-past verbs also take the form of a hypothetical “would” given the context? I tried searching around for a grammar rule like “tai form + mo + naru” but didn’t really find anything.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

The way I understand it, the rough meaning of it is
I will become someone who would want to give you even this much.
In a sense, that if the surroundings say “If things turn out that way, that everything goes awry, I would become someone who would want to give you even this much” = “If things go bad, I would be tempted to give you this much.”

I don’t think it’s hypothetical.

The way I understand たい verb form is that what would be the object in English becomes the subject in Japanese, eg the sentence ‘I want to eat sushi’ is「すしが食べたい」. So in your sentence, the implied subject of the verb 渡したくもなる is not the person speaking, but the amount of money in question. So the なる part is not ‘I will become’ but ‘the amount becomes’. So you could translate it as maybe:

“Yes, I want to give you that much money”.

2 Likes

なる is applied to 渡したい. So it’s the „wanting to give“ that „becomes“. Now this doesn’t make much sense in English but it’s a common thing in Japanese - you can think of it as „it became so that“ if you like.
So a natural translation would probably ignore it and go with „I want to give you that much.“
も is just thrown in for emphasis.

See also 「したくなる」の英語・英語例文・英語表現 - Weblio和英辞書.

7 Likes

This is mostly correct, there’s just one little detail off: The も comes after the 渡したく, not the それぐらい. Therefore, it emphasizes the action itself, not the extent. Like, “They’d GIVE you so much” (hope I got the context right). Just a very minor difference in nuance, though.

Would you mind explaining why なる being non-past tense feels so off to you? I may be misunderstanding the context, but even if this line occurred AFTER the attempted or concluded payment, non-past would still be the tense to use because 渡したい is a state that wouldn’t change even after the action is concluded.

Well the も isn’t really relevant for that specific grammar point (it’s just an emphasizer here), so your search would probably yield better results without it.

3 Likes

I think this would just be 「それぐらいも渡したくなる人になる。」. You’ve got two なるs in there (“will” and “become”).

1 Like

Hey I really appreciate everyone’s feedback. I think I left out some important context, so I just took a photo of the two pages so you can see what I’m referring to. Also some spoilerish context for Weathering with You: Hina (the girl) has the ability to clear up weather when it’s rainy, and the kids currently run a service where people can request she do this for them at like a party or something

Since it’s not Hodaka (the boy) giving the payment (the group received it from the person who requested Hina’s ability), I really thought from the context he was implying that he even he would want to give that much money as well. But reading the previous line again (俺なんとなくわかるよ ~= I somehow understand/I sorta get it), it makes sense he might be saying something like NicoleRauch said, where it’s “it become so that I want to give” or “I want to give you that much”.

I found this article in Japanese talking about what I think is this grammar point, although they’re talking about this pattern in the context of 時々 or 急に, but I think it still kind of stands (where the も in the sentence above is just added emphasis and not part of the original grammar point): 「したくなる」を英語で?中学生単語のみで簡単に表現できる2つの方法 | 初心者英会話ステーション

And their loose translation is close to “I feel I want to…” which is pretty close to what was suggested earlier - “I feel I want to give you that much”

EDIT: Oh I didn’t even see NicoleRauch linked to the correct grammar point. I think that makes total sense. Thanks for all the help everyone

3 Likes

No, just the future tense of “become”, which should work

Yeah, that extra context helps a ton in making it clear who’s doing the wanting. It also tells us you’ve been asking us about a half sentence :slight_smile: This bubble and the next are a single sentence:

それぐらい渡したくもなるいい天気だ

“It’s weather so good that it makes you want to give that much”.

(For why ‘makes you’, see the second half of the article you linked.)

7 Likes

Oh nice thanks for that extra clarification. To be honest this is the first “real” manga (or even comic in general) I’ve read, in Japanese or English, so I’m still getting used to the actual structure of the dialog.

I definitely interpreted that page as Hodaka saying the first line, and then like in agreement the little brother Nagi saying it’s nice weather. Since the bubbles were split, I didn’t think to read them together.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a really confusing combination of split and bubble placement…