Need help with a sentence!

皆さん、こんにちは!
問いがあります!
I was not using wanikani for a long time, but still was learning japanese on my own.
分かっていません!
Here is a sentence from the song “Orange” by 7!!:
一人になれば、不安になると
眠りたくない夜は、話し続けていた

I understand what it means, smth like this:
When I am alone, I feel uneasy, therefore
At sleepless nights we kept on talking.

YESTERDAY, I have learned about NARA(BA), tara, TO, and ba forms.
And it maked me to understand the first line. There’s “If I alone then…”, then goes “I feel uneasy…” and here I can’t understand what と means… Another “if” but translating like “therefore, then” or I dont know something about this particle and it may mean something like “something happensとexplanation what I do when that happens” like から. Or it just concludes a thought. What!!!
about と in lesson with nara tara ba was said that it means always true conditions or habits, like:
たくさん食べると、太るよ。, does it fits this sentence? Or it just expains consequences.
Sorry for the bad english, please… I hope you understanded what I want to know and may help me!

2 Likes

Since なる especially with that に means to become, I think the first line should be “if I’m alone, I become uneasy” (like it’s a rule that whenever the speaker is alone, they feel uneasy).

For the second line, I think 眠りたくない is “I don’t want to sleep” the negative of 眠りたい. So putting that together, “In the nights when I didn’t want to sleep, I kept (continued) talking [to you].”

Putting both of those together, I’d say

if I’m alone, I become uneasy so
In the nights when I don’t want to sleep, I kept talking [to you]

2 Likes

Ack I just saw I misread 続けていた as 続けたっかた my bad. I’ll fix my previous post

1 Like

That’s true, thanks for your reply! but the question is about と between two sentences, how to understand it right? You have some examples with the same using it?

1 Like

I want to understand the using of と like here. To use it in my own sentences to connect two sentences and understand why I use と and not another one.

1 Like

Do you know what a clause is grammatically? For a simplest explanation, it’s that と is marking a clause here. Like noting “in this sort of situation.”

It just marks a condition I think.

from my understaning it just means the same as ばform here. so when im alone, when i feel uneasy, on sleepless nights i keep talking to you
they both mark conditions. How Conditionals Work in Japanese: …と, …ば, …たら, and …なら (wasabi-jpn.com)

im assuming they used と because it sounds better, but ば is more hypothetical whereas と is constant.

4 Likes

I guessed that this was just a double condition, but I was unsure about it. there are so many subtleties between different forms of conditions that it leads me into misunderstanding why this is so, why not another form, and so on.

2 Likes

With song lyrics the answer is often “because it sounds good” or “it fits the rhythm”. It’s not necessarily a deeply nuanced thing.

9 Likes

Yeah, I guess I think you’re really right. But suddenly, haha?

Hmm. That’s a bit difficult. I’d recommend doing more reading and then getting a feel for it that way. I think there should be plenty in JoJo.

If you look at page 21 vol 1 (chapter 1) Dio uses it at Dario’s grave

一番の金持ちになれだと?ああ!なってやるとも!
Becoming the richest! Ha! That’s your shitty thing!

(Very approximate, but I hope that helps)

1 Like

Thank you, I will move in this direction.

1 Like

Suddenly?

Song lyrics are so tough to nail down but I think you’ve done a great job of getting the meaning.

As @weebjail says,

it does seem like the と indicates in this way and that the と is being used as to not repeat the same syllabaries .

I’m adding a little bit of what I intone is happening in the text, as the 続けていた makes it appear as though the “talking” is summing up a list of things which happen continually. Likely the song’s translation would be in the present tense as you surmised :slightly_smiling_face:, it is also likely that the Japanese meaning is inferring the past continuous (have been), though Japanese doesn’t need to show the grammar for that in those clauses like English tries to. It doesn’t look as nice on the page and certainly wouldn’t make good English song lyrics, but I believe the actual meaning is something like:

If I’ve been feeling alone, whenever I’ve been feeling anxious, (all those) nights I haven’t wanted to fall asleep, we’ve kept on talking (throughout it all)

The other clever thing about the lyrics (just from this passage bc I don’t know the song) is that it seems like the “I” could be a “you.” Any thoughts?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the と is actually just like the と思って と doe

1 Like

I’m with Vanilla, here.

Even given all “lyrics are just like that” concessions, 「一人になれば、不安になると」doesn’t work if you understand it as 一人になる→不安になる because having two conditionals linked like this is nonsensical.

I guess you could possibly understand this と as a conditional one if you put 「一人になれば」and「不安になると」as equivalent, as in both are not linked but parallel situations that lead to the next sentence.
But honestly, either from the way it’s sung (I tried listening to it) and from the grammar construction, I don’ think that is the case. I say that because again, 「〇〇になると、〇〇ていた」is too much even for a song construction.

But if as Vanilla suggested you read the と as the quotation one, you can just understand it as them explaining their feeling: 「一人になれば、不安になる」と

1 Like

Yeah lyrics can be wack sometimes. This just isn’t one of those cases.

Like legit:

一人になれば、不安になると眠りたくない夜は、話し続けていた

is straight up fair game for novels and a pretty standard construction. You would have to be jumping through some pretty big hoops to call it a conditional since as you said, its nonsensical. So its like we are left with a nonsensical option and a total realistic option that is used in contemporary japanese all the time. Take yo pick

2 Likes

Yeah, my post was mostly a comment on why I don’t like music lyrics for studying personally. I didn’t actually read the full lines.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.