Google Translate Fails

Oh come on, Google Translate.

You are not even trying to do your job now!

14 Likes

The romaji IT BURNNSSS :sob:

27 Likes

17 Likes

At least it’s being stoic about it

:smiling_imp:

11 Likes

Also, it’s konpyuutaa / konpyu-ta- / konpyūtā.

3 Likes

30 Likes

You can’t really blame it when you misspell 3/5 of the words.

I mean sure, maybe it should recognize that wa = は, but “nyaku” is on you.

This is not quite correct either

6 Likes

heh… pasokon. :sweat_smile:

Anyway, Google doesn’t even understand its own romaji.

If you paste "あれはパソコンではありません”, it shows the romaji as “Are wa pasokonde wa arimasen”.

If you paste that same romaji:
“Are wa pasokonde wa arimasen” => “That thing has not spread.”

Do the same with “それ” instead of "あれ” and you get:
“Sore wa pasokonde wa arimasen” => “I do not know it.”

:thinking:

7 Likes

Curiously, it will only recognize パソコン in that sentence if it’s spelled in katakana. It will recognise pasokon in romaji when entered by itself, though.

7 Likes

I wonder how does that even work

and so on

19 Likes

These ones are my favorites.

ahhhhhhh

17 Likes

Also, I’m not on my own computer, and I wonder who used this one before I did that the suggested target languages for Google Translate are Catalan and Hmong.

7 Likes

Google translate just seems to get frazzled with romaji loanwords in general. I tried out pen, bread, and bus as well and the only one it got was pen–as long as I didn’t add desu at the end, because then it translated it to signature instead. Whether I put in ha or wa also changed results.
I think we can all take something very simple away from this: romaji is the devil.

5 Likes

25 Likes

you don’t need romaji to pull one over on its neural network

12 Likes
10 Likes

Actually some of my favorite pictures saved on my phone are from early in my Japanese journey when I was practicing writing hiragana and katakana using google translate’s writing feature. I eventually realized I was getting…interesting results.
Some of my favorites:
mygrocerylisttbh
happyhow
straightupnonsense
sorryimsorry
unexpecteddepth
insultingme
mynewbandname

12 Likes

tbh, i don’t find it too surprising when it cooks up arbitrary fluent-sounding sentences for nonsense input - that’s literally what neural networks are trained to do. i find it much more surprising when even natural & correct sentences completely bamboozle it.

5 Likes

This one had my dying when I saw it. Check out the pronunciation for the Japanese side. Guess it isn’t the best at telling whether we’re talking about こめ or べいこく.

I shall clean america!!

10 Likes

I wasn’t being 100% serious here mind, but I honestly don’t think it’s too much to ask of gt ro recognize that honyaku is a word and choose the correct kana accordingly (the kana was auto generated by gt).

How do you enter ほんやく into gt as romaji?

The intended user here is a person who doesn’t already know japanese, right?