Get list of all visually similar kanji?

Does anyone know if there’s a way to get a list of all visually similar kanji and their level, WITHOUT having to go onto every individual kanji and view them? I have the Niai userscript, but I’d love to be able to just easily grab a list of basically: kanji/kanji level/visually similar kanji/level of the similar kanji, or something like that, so I can review them easily outside of WK. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m interested in this too… I never know if it’s cow or noon :frowning:

The cow has a horn. Thank me later :wink:

8 Likes

To supplement the Niai script I recommend using the Item Inspector as an easy way to view visually similar kanji.

You can create different item lists, though I mostly focus on my leeches. When hovering over a kanji, you’ll get a pop-up like this:

It makes it easy to get that overview. I hope this helps!

Good luck with your studies! :+1:

Edit: I missed the fine-print.

The Item Inspector has an export feature also, so you could use that to review items outside of WK.

2 Likes

I did have a poke at the item inspector (honestly one of my fav scripts), but unfortunately it looks like even with exporting a list, you don’t get the meanings/levels of the visually similar kanji, so still have to find that manually :confused: Thank you though!

1 Like

There’s a ton of options for what to export and I’m not that well-versed in all the possibilities. @prouleau Is there a way to get what OP wants? (a way to review visually similar kanji outside of WK)

I think that this changed my life. Thank you, haven’t been able to invent any good way to remember these two.

1 Like

so it’s a bull?

or is it a unicow?

2 Likes

Hmm, do the similar kanji have to be the exact ones that are listed on WK?
I know there’s some data on visually similar kanji here, I think it would be reasonably easy to merge that list with WK data.
(assuming the item inspector can’t somehow do this after all)

1 Like

If you use the Related Items filter you will get a table of the items that are visually similar to your search term… You need a search term because visually similar items must be given a reference point to be visually similar to something. You can’t just search for visually similar without a search term because then everything is visually similar to something.

The procedure would be.

• Go to the settings
  • Create a table with the New button in the Tables tab.
  • In the filter tab of your newly created tab configure the Related Items filter to get visually similar items. You may
  • In the export tab configure the information (level etc) you want in your list.
  • Save and exit the settings
  • Export your table with the export button.
1 Like

I mean more that whilst it can export me a list of kanji/meanings and the visually similar items, I don’t think there’s a way to make it show the meanings of those visually similar kanji as well, so I still need to manually get hold of those, where ideally I’m looking for something that’s more like:

Kanji A (level 1) means X. Visually similar kanji are Kanji B (level 2) (meaning Y); Kanji C (level 1) (meaning Z) etc.

Basically I want to be able to easily reference which kanji are visually similar to each other, and what those kanji mean, so that I can develop a way of remembering the differences between them (such as the ‘cow has a horn, noon doesn’t’ example people were discussing above)

You are right. There is no way of doing this in Item Inspector.

Oh my god, thank you so much! That’s honestly life-changing <3

Wellll I didn’t get an answer to my data question, but I tried anyway :sweat_smile:

Here you go:

Like I said, it’s not necessarily the same as the “similar Kanji” section on WK, but I hope it’s somewhat useful anyway :slightly_smiling_face:
The similar kanji data is from here, WK levels from this post.

The format is a bit messy, but self-explanatory I think:

Kanji (Level): [meanings]
⠀⠀⠀similar Kanji 1 (level): [meanings]
⠀⠀⠀similar Kanji 2 (level): [meanings]

… and so on.

It’s sorted by WK level.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, I haven’t had a chance to go on the forums for a bit - but WOW this is perfect, thank you so much! Exactly what I needed, now I can actually memorise the differences between the similar kanji :joy:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.