Geoduck? Ummm…okay?

Really?

So I googled this radical and the most popular version is “big shell.”

Why did WK have to be random and put Geoduck in here? Just use big shell. I did a search of Geoduck in the community and the consensus seems that Geoduck is an absolute (insert insulting adjective here) name for a radical.

It reminds me of naming the Poop radical. Seriously?

Okay, vent over.

5 Likes

Makes it more memorable, doesn’t it?

28 Likes

Well it’s a big shell. To quote Wikipedia:

11 Likes

Some of the future mnemonics actually use the geoduck to help paint a vivid mental image.

My absolute favorite is the story for 顔. The geoduck slaps you in the face to keep you away from the cliff edge, so your shocked face is covered in slime. If WaniKani just used “big shell”, then we wouldn’t be able to be slapped by a giant, slimy appendage. :frowning: #geoduckawareness

14 Likes

Don’t count me in that.

8 Likes

Big shell better than a geoduck?

5 Likes

Ah, tell me about it. I added “short thread” as a synonym. More letters to type, sure, but it doesn’t make me want to wash my hands afterwards. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I love the geoduck radical. So phallic and thus much better mnemonic material than “big shell” + it’s already a big shell so it’s faithful to the original as well. What’s not to love?

I realize I’m just reiterating the above points, but OP mentions the “community consensus” so I’d like to add my voice in favor of the geoduck

geoduck warning ⛔️

Geoduck

8 Likes

Don’t have any opinion on the radical name, but I’m just here to say…

I was today years old when I learnt that ‘geoduck’ is pronounced ‘goo-i-duck’. I also learnt that it isn’t some weird Pokémon name. :rofl:

The more you know… life really is an endless journey of discovery

13 Likes

I am in favor of the choice to replace “big shell” with geoduck (and feel compelled to post in every geoduck thread :sweat_smile:) because the college I went to for undergrad has a geoduck as a mascot, haha.

Click that link for lots of material for mnemonics, including photos, fun facts, pronunciation tips, unsettling costumes, and the geoduck fight song. Yes, the mascot combined with the school’s motto, “let it all hang out” is indeed a dick joke. Evergreen is just like that. Koichi would thrive there.

10 Likes

the college I went to for undergrad has The Greendale Human Being as a mascot

13 Likes

Exactly, they’ll never forget now after the rant.

1 Like

Heh.

Had to look it up: Greendale Human Being | Community Wiki | Fandom

5 Likes

Do you want another kicker? Google how you’re supposed to pronounce it :wink:

1 Like

@TrinityBringer

1 Like

Huh? Huuuuh? Not sure why I’ve been tagged here but… :sob:

2 Likes

Geoduck

10 Likes