Non-Japanese Things Learned From WaniKani

Wanikani is primarily for learning Japanese, but you can learn other things as well from it.
I for example have learned about the bizarre lil things which are geoducks.

EDIT: Also learned about Midori and Asashi beer.
What have you learned?

20 Likes

Psh, that’s not a Geoduck, this is a Geoduck:

16 Likes

How did I know this thread was gonna be about geoducks?

Next guess: yurts and/or fords.

15 Likes

Well now that raptor cages and Hard Gay are no more.

6 Likes

Oh, a geoduck thread! I might as well share this here as well. This was one thing I actually knew before WK, because the college I went to for undergrad has a geoduck as a mascot.

Click that link for lots of material for mnemonics, including photos, fun facts, pronunciation tips, unsettling costumes, and the geoduck fight song. Yes, the mascot combined with the school’s motto, “let it all hang out” is indeed a dick joke. Evergreen is just like that. Koichi would thrive there.

11 Likes

Hard Gay was/is a Japanese thing though…

Maybe I’m just too old and well traveled to learn much from WK outside of Japan related content. Or maybe I’m just skimming/ignoring the Mnemonics too much :joy:

3 Likes

Hard Gay懐かしい〜 What was he doing on WK? Used as a nemonic?

1 Like

Yeah, for the せい reading. WaniKani uses “saber” for that instead, now.

3 Likes

Geoduck is 波貝(なみがい) in kanji. I thought it was a made up word for the radical 頁 and didn’t bother to check until now. Interesting… 波貝 is such a fine delicacy. Anyone who likes seafood would definitely love this.

3 Likes

What are those?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.