Genki 2nd edition or 3rd edition

Hey guys I was just wondering if would it be worth it to get the 2nd edition for cheaper or spend the extra money on the 3rd edition?

Thanks!

1 Like

I think it makes the most sense to get the 3rd, as that usually implies they have made updates/corrected things. I definitely get the cheaper aspect, but I personally bought 3rd edition myself.

2 Likes

Third edition is definitely worth it. Aside from money, the only other reason to go for the 2nd edition is if you are using online tools that havenā€™t been updated for the 3rd edition yet.

The big advantages are more shorter and to the point descriptions, and better examples, but the contents of the book are nearly identical. You can see a really good comparison video here.

5 Likes

Do you guys agree with the guide on Tofugu that I should wait till around level 10 Wanikani to start something like Genki?

No you can and should start the book right away. There is no point in waiting until level 10.

8 Likes

I think it would be more accurate not to think of it as ā€œYou should start grammar at Level 10,ā€ but rather ā€œIf you havenā€™t started learning grammar yet, you should start doing so by Level 10.ā€ I know Tofugu does directly say to wait, but really I think the only reason to do such a thing is to make sure you are willing to stick with an existing schedule before you begin something new and risk moving backwards. Even before level 10 and with some grammar studies I was getting the feeling of ā€œI know all of these words now but I have no idea what to do with them.ā€

7 Likes

So, Iā€™ve noticed that a lot of people on here disagree with the Tofugu guide, but I plan on following the guide to a T. Once I finish level 10 in probably a month or two, Iā€™ll be starting Genki I, which I own. Do whatever youā€™re most comfortable with.

3 Likes

The reason Tofugu recommends waiting is because too many Kanji too fast can be confusing. If you donā€™t know the Kanji, itā€™s hard to learn the grammar with the Kanji. The trick with textbooks like Genki is, they donā€™t actually use Kanji on page 1, because they expect you no to know any yet, so you should be fine to start early.

4 Likes

Iā€™m about the same. I started with some grammar before hitting my lvl10 but will really pick up some speed nowā€¦ It should help me with understanding better many example sentences in WK, at least the simpler onešŸ‘

1 Like

For what itā€™s worth, I started on WaniKani before getting ćæ悓ćŖć®ę—„ęœ¬čŖž and the basic kanji and vocabulary familiarity has been an asset. It may not be much of a concern if youā€™re getting Genki since it does more hand holding, but I think I happened to land in just the right timing.

Of course, being more familiar with grammar before you even start WaniKani would help you a lot if you want to read the example sentences for each item of vocabulary, so thereā€™s no perfect timeline.

1 Like

Thanks for linking this video cause I am watching a bunch of his stuff now, thinking about possibly subscribing to his Patreon once I start Genkiā€¦Will have to keep doing research

2 Likes

Whichever you decide on, I recommend using these tools:

GENKI v2:

Genki Exercises - 2nd Edition | Genki Study Resources (sethclydesdale.github.io)

GENKI v3:

Genki Exercises - 3rd Edition | Genki Study Resources (sethclydesdale.github.io)

9 Likes

Neither (in my opinion). I bought the second edition and the explanation were far too convoluted. Genki is only decent for a classroom where you want lots of examples and the teacher explains it him/herself first.

Glad to hear it, I donā€™t subscribe to his patreon, but I thought about it for a long time before deciding to just use the Github page @slerched mentioned instead of his material. I do love watching his videos for explanations. I was going to recommend watching his lesson series along with what I linked, but I didnā€™t want to sound like a shill, but since you mentioned it now, Iā€™ll go all out.

Hey, thatā€™s exactly what Tokini Andyā€™s videos are for if you donā€™t have a structured class or teacher available.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA_RcUI8km1NMhiEebcbqdlcHv_2ngbO2 - This is the main playlist to watch if you want just the lessons from him btw, it can be pretty hard to sift through the livestreams and other unrelated material.

4 Likes

Thanks, but I donā€™t actually donā€™t find Genki that helpful. Also, Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve covered all the content of Genki 1 and 2. I used Tae Kimā€™s Grammar Guide and found it to be far more helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.