みなさん, Genki 1, 3rd edition was released today in Japan.
- Not a radical overhaul; Exact same chapters (table of contents) vs. the 2nd edition.
- Generally, the same grammar points are covered in each chapter as before.
- The grammar explanations have been revised, some extensively. (Subjectively) the revised explanations are more clear and to the point.
- Most of the dialogues remain the same but some have been refreshed to be more “up to date”.
Situations such as visiting a “デパート” (department store) or asking for the current time have been replaced or removed.
- Accordingly there are some new vocabulary like “スマホ” (smartphone), “メール” (email), while “チケット” (ticket) replaces
- Each chapter now start with chapter goals, which I find helpful.
- As with the 2nd edition, the book audio can be downloaded via the free OTO Navi app. They re-recorded each dialog (even the unchanged ones) to be consistent throughout.
- The 3rd edition now has colors for illustrations, section headings, etc. (vs. the monochrome 2nd ed.) The printed paper is of higher quality also (brighter white).
Overall, Genki 3rd edition is a definite improvement over the 2nd, but I think there’s no reason to “upgrade” if you have the previous version.