Garden Appreciation Thread

The varibility in cucumbers is much greater, though - I’ve never produced a tomato I couldn’t eat, but have had some very unpalatable cucurbits.

7 Likes

Look, @ShinobuSagi, I am not the only one who uses this word!

7 Likes

Should this be moved to #campfire?

4 Likes

There are tomatoes in my yard. Even black tomatoes. Some herbs too, basil, mint…and parsley but only the caterpillars eat our parsley.
芋虫 (いもむし)

14 Likes

No, because I primarily intend it to be a discussion of Kanji and words surrounding gardens. :slight_smile:

also @frayderike
I wasn’t going to get into the whole hybrid thing.

ハイブリッドプラント – hybrid plant
ハイブリッドシード – hybrid seed

ハイブリッド車 – you can guess this one

Despite seeds not coming up to type, you can still get wonderful results – especially if you don’t have any other seeds at all. When I moved my vegetable garden, I had wonderful little yellow cherry tomatoes come up wild for 3 years. It was nothing that I ever planted.

@anon43714060 Thank you for researching all of the plant words! :purple_heart:

4 Likes

So far this year my garden has only had a 水仙 ( すいせん )–daffodil, the Japanese name is cute isn’t it? ^o^ (btw I keep saying “my garden” but I didn’t plant any of this stuff…)

黒いトマト

青い蝶 (edit: this isn’t the name of the butterfly DX idk what’s called XD)

薔薇 ・ばら

芍薬・しゃくやく (I’m still not totally sure about this name DX)

木槿・ むくげ

桑・くわ

I’m not totally sure about this one. Is it a daylily? The first result on jisho is 浜萱草・ はまかんぞう

蝶々

17 Likes

あ! 私も 桑がいます!

4 Likes

You know, @RoseWagsBlue and I have something that maybe most people here haven’t seen :o but my attempts to find a Japanese name aren’t turning up anything! Does Japan not know them? Well, the English word is Spotted Lanternfly and the scientific name is Lycorma delicatula. You can look it up if you wish but it is too yucky for me to post!

But for the most part I don’t mind creepy crawlers. I’ll put them behind a cut in case they’re too 怖い

蛞蝓・なめくじ

馬陸・やすで (と茸・きのこ)

豆黄金・ まめこがね

毛虫・けむし

Well, obviously these are 可愛い
蜻蛉・とんぼ

紋白蝶・ もんしろちょう
Screenshot_20200403-162722

11 Likes

I’ll work on the Lantern Fly thing! There would be some Korean words for them, because they started invading Korea a few years before they invaded here. Probably Katakana is the best option …
Insect words are great!

Pictures from just now:

poppy
罌粟(けし) ポピー

redbud
レッドバス
I can’t wait to gobble up these blossoms once they open!

dogwood
ハナミズキ
This is the North American variety.

lettuce sprouts
レタス

pear blossom
(なし)

peach blossom
(もも)

pea sprouts
エンドウ

Hosta
ギボウシ or ホスタ

bleeding hearts
出血ハート しゅっけつはと

At our last house, these spread everywhere. Here, there are only a few …

11 Likes

I thought of that too! :heart:
I’m keeping an eye out at the farmer’s market for now for tomatoes that are really good and I’ll try that! :heart: :smile:

Also…

I got a durtle worshipper badge from this thread?! 何?! I mean, YAY but なんで?? :open_mouth: I didnt even know they were still giving those, its been a long time since I saw such badges!

6 Likes

I got a Sailor Durtle Badge. Someone is bored and handing out badges.

3 Likes

Ah, okay, sorry! I forgot about that part.

Here are some words that might be handy to know.

室内園芸 - しつないえんげい - Indoor gardening.Also 室内ガーデニング or インドアガーデニング.
植木鉢 - うえきばち - flowerpot.
培養土 - ばいようど - culture soil.
じょうろ - watering can (from Portuguese ‘jorro’)
自然光 -自然光 - natural light. Also 太陽光 - たいようこう/日光 - にっこう - sunlight.
挿し木 - さしき - cutting plants. My 妹 likes to do this and sometimes takes cuts home from our aunt’s plants as well.
ガーデンセンター - garden centre, for all your gardening needs!
胡瓜 - キュウリ - cucumber.

9 Likes

Are you sure this is the name for it in Japanese? Because “hosta” in Swedish means coughing, and that is the kanji for coughing and when I just googled for the kanji I only got pictures of people coughing. Although maybe searching for it together with the Japanese word for plant would bring up the right thing? (I couldn’t remember the word for plant, so I tried flower, but seemed to get any kind of flower that makes people with pollen allergy react. :sweat_smile:) Or perhaps people are a bit focused on coughing right now rather than a plant…

5 Likes

I think it’s 擬宝珠 or just ギボウシ… :thinking:

3 Likes

何ですか? ~o~

4 Likes

I just bought a いちごの植物 :star_struck: :scream: any tips?

picture

This is one of my indoor plants that I got from a colleague last year who retired and didn’t want to take it home. She didn’t know what kind of plant it is and neither do I… And even my local florist was clueless. Does anyone know?

picture

9 Likes

That looks like what was in my grandmother’s house. But I don’t know what it was and she isn’t alive anymore so I can’t ask.
But the photo made me feel 懐かしい.

6 Likes

It might be clivia 君子蘭 くんしらん

If so, I think you’ve got 3 plants in the one pot!

4 Likes

I think that’s the one my florist suggested and she had one at her shop and showed me. It didn’t seem to be the same one. My one has thicker and shorter leaves.

Haha, yes. That’s actually a picture from last year. I already replanted and dispensed it into several pots. Gave some away and still have three of them now. Will take one of them to work (but for now my home is my working place, so… might take a while)

4 Likes

There are many varieties of 君子蘭, so just because it was different than the one your florist had, doesn’t mean it isn’t one (though I’m no expert on flowering plants, so it may very well not be). Plants are usually easier to ID when they flower.

5 Likes