Game Gengo - N4 grammar overview

It takes time.

I’m always experimenting with games in Japanese, but it’s ridiculous how much I have to look up :smiley: I’m VERY FAR AWAY from just pick up and play.

1 Like

When I get a new game I tend to stick to English to not risk missing any of the main plot but going back to games I’ve played before in Japanese is great.

I try and play RingFit everyday and changing that to Japanese has been great practice. So many verbs used and set phrases and since most of the actions are supported by guides of how to move, it’s easy to pick up new things.

I also play FFXIV online and you can switch the game voice and text to Japanese and play on a Japanese server. The amount of Kanji is quite advanced so I’ll likely play this more when I’m further along with WK but it’s great for getting to chat with native Japanese speakers! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had no idea such a resource existed! I’m still halfway through Genki 1 but his N5 video looks to be awesome! Going to go through the whole thing and rewatch it multiple times in the background to help reinforce everything. Thank you very much for sharing! ありがとうございます

2 Likes

Ooh, I’m pleased to see this exists!
I really enjoyed the N5 one :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I wanted to be able to enjoy games and other Japanese media untranslated too. Ironically I stopped playing games because due to limited time I had to choose studying over gaming. Fast forward a few years and I am able to to play games in Japanese but I barely have interest in games any more :sweat_smile:

I still love watching anime though :wink:

8 Likes

Wow, that’s so good, even as just a review. Cheers :smiley::+1:

Nice!! I’m so stoked for this! Thank you!

This guy is the Antithesis to Misa, even in a 4 hour video you have to pause, because I want to have a look at all the sentences from the games :smiley:

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of this dude’s content, he has really fast and quick grammar and vocab breakdowns that I’ve really enjoyed. Definitely not the best way to learn new points, but they’ve been great for reviewing and for picking up unusual vocab that I don’t see on the daily.

Super excited to see an N4 grammar video and maybe I’ll hold out hope that he’ll drop a huge N3 or N2 video someday lmao

1 Like

What will be the times then?

6 hours N3, 8 hours N2, 10 hours N1 based on the previous two videos :smiley:

On another note, it’s really strange what is considered a “grammar” point. Most of it is actually just “words”.

1 Like

From what I recall from when I used Bunpro, this seems just about right.

Yeah I’ve found this as well. Anything past N4 seems to be idioms more often than not.

I had a look through and I probably know about half of the N3-N1 stuff just from reading.

1 Like

Yeah formally I’m not even finished with N4, but I know this and that which is considered “higher level” from just looking up stuff I encountered in the wild.

1 Like

On the bright side, the fact that 間 and 場合 are considered grammar points reinforced the reading and meaning :joy:

1 Like

I’m surprised that not many people know about Game Gengo. I think it’s a brilliant channel, Matt is a good teacher and the presentation in his videos is top notch for me.

How cool would it be if there was a userscript that gathered words and expressions from titles covered by Game Gengo into Wanikani? Kinda like the Anime Context Sentences userscript. I guess it’s a lot of work and I would do it if I had the skills. Maybe there’s someone out there, you never know

Hi. I’m the author of that userscript. There’s Game Gengo content on Immersion Kit, which is the database the userscript queries. There also material from video games if that’s your thing - see the “Game” tab in Information - Immersion Kit.

I could add support for the games when there are more titles :slight_smile: Any suggestions what I should call the script then :sweat_smile: Anime & Game Context Sentences?

2 Likes

@mathewthe2 (creator of Immersion Kit), this might be of interest to you :slight_smile:

Hey thank you for the reply. Yes that would be awesome!
As I said I’m not a coder, but I can help in other ways if needed (gather material, take/edit screenshots, make lists, edit audio, etc.).

The name makes sense and it’s intuitive. Alternatively you could just call it Immersion Kit Userscript. They both work fine to me

I’m not sure how wanikani works but the game gengo grammar material is already hosted on the website. I can provide the necessary JSON files if anyone wants to do it.

As for other material by game gengo, let me know which ones so I can ask game gengo if he is happy with those materials hosted on the website as well.

1 Like

I just found it and it’s amazing!
I don’t know if Matt had plans to also put vocabulary on the website, but it would extremely useful for study purposes. Plus I’m guessing it would be easier to implement it with the API like the Anime Context Sentences userscript