Fries are public

Me and my friends have a rule when it comes to french fries, the rule is that fries are public to everyone even tho you did not buy fries. So basicly we can steal fries from eachoder.

Ive tried to translate this concept with google translate and it seems right to my knowledge. But one thing i dont understand in this bit:

“フライドポテトは一般公開” is the “一般” part, why is this necesary? Or is this just something stupid that google did?

The source centance was: “Fries are public”

Is there a better way to say this? Anyone can help? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance <3

I think Google assumed that the new fries you developed have finally been released to the general public.

Haha that kinda makes sense when i see it that way, how should i go about translating it correctly?

お前が留守の間、この店とポテト達は俺が全力で守る。

(I think I got that right)

That one seemed overwhelming, seems to include to much?
Or do you have to define so much to make the context come trough?

What? Am I missing some reference?

Definitely more than you’re saying. Kind of the opposite of what you’re saying. I was more being a wise guy but I think because we posted at the same time that fell through.

Roughly “While you are gone, I will protect this place and these fries with all my strength.”

In all seriousness, what you wrote seems to be technically correct, but has a government vibe to it to me. Not sure how you would change that.

あなたのフライドポテトは皆のフライドポテトですね。

I think you’re being too literal in your translation.

フライドポテトは誰でも食べれる。

Anyone can eat the fries. (Although I guess you’d have to add some kind of context to make it clear that’s a “is allowed to” rather than “is able to”? It should be pretty clear, though, if this is something you need for a real-life situation.)

Public in the sense of “property” is 公有 (こうゆう) so you probably could get away with

フライドポテトは公有だ。

but I don’t know if it’d carry the same context to a Japanese person or not.

(P.S. Would recommend looking up specific words in a dictionary like http://jisho.org rather than using Google Translate to translate whole phrases. Google Translate once told me that 我輩, an old-fashioned word for “I”, meant “soup.”)

How about

フライドポテトは、皆さんが食べてもいいです。

Relevant?

Hehe this is nice, 150yen seems cheap :slight_smile:

What about using 公共 instead of 一般公開? I’m not sure if that makes sense but I figured I’d throw it out there.

食べる conjugates as 〜られる in potential (and passive) form.

Isn’t the ら sometimes dropped in casual speech? No idea if @bakerstewart did it intentionally, but I thought I’d read that somewhere.

You are correct. However bakerstewart is also correct

From: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/potential

Huh, I guess I need some more colloquial resources.

Yeah, even a medium is $2.19 now, with only a small being $1.49… (I go to McDonald’s a lot… especially since they instituted all day breakfast.)

I really enjoy this thread. Thanks for starting it. It was fun to read on my break, earlier.

:oncoming_police_car: Better watch out, or the sharing police will get you! :policewoman::link:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: