Friday September 9 2022 Content Updates

Radicals

(36) - Added “precious” to the allow list.

Kanji

(25) - Updated the meaning explanation.

(22) - Added “state” and “shape” as alternative meanings, and added “form”, “situation” and “circumstances” to the allow list.

(24) - Added “quantity” to the block list.

(23) - Added “appear” as an alternative meaning, moved “present” to the allow list, added “show” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

(34) - Added “guy” to the allow list.

(34) - Added “hurt” as an alternative meaning, added “damage”, “injure” and “break” to the allow list, and updated the meaning mnemonic.

(4) - Moved “say” and “humbly say” to the allow list, and updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(40) - Added “diluted”, “weak” and “thin” to the allow list, added “drop” to the radical components, updated the meaning mnemonic and hint, and updated the reading mnemonic and hint.

(28) - Added “drop” to the radical components, and updated the meaning mnemonic and hint.

簿 (50) - Added “drop” to the radical components, and updated the meaning mnemonic and hint.

(3) - Updated the reading hint.

(22) - Added こた as kun’yomi.

Vocabulary

純毛 (34) - Added “pure wool” to the allow list.

更に (30) - Added “further” as an alternative meaning, moved “moreover” and “anew” to the allow list, added “more and more”, “much”, “far”, “still”, “even”, “a lot” and “afresh” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

拝見する (34) - Added “to look at”, “to have a look at something”, “to see something” and “to look at something” to the allow list.

宣言 (33) - Added “announcement”, “proclaim”, “declare”, “announce”, “proclaiming”, “declaring” and “announcing” to the allow list, and added two context sentences.

足りる (4) - Added “to not be enough” to the block list.

掲載 (37) - Added “する verb” as a word type, added “publish”, “publishing”, “printing”, “post” and “posting” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

飼い主 (34) - Added “owner” to the allow list.

情けない (15) - Added “pathetic” as an alternative meaning and moved “pitiful” to the allow list.

(60) - Corrected the context sentence translation.

同じ (5) - Corrected the context sentence translation.

(24) - Added “quantity” to the block list.

指導 (23) - Added “leadership”, “direction”, “direct”, “guide”, “lead”, “instruction” and “instruct” to the allow list, and added two context sentences.

突く (26) - Added “to thrust”, “to prick” and “to push” to the allow list, and added two context sentences.

一般的 (38) - Added “general” as an alternative meaning, moved “normal” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and added two context sentences.

(38) - Added “depths”, “recesses”, “deep” and “interior” to the allow list.

放つ (15) - Added “to emit” as an alternative meaning, updated the meaning explanation, and moved “to let loose” to the allow list.

毒ガス (15) - Added “poisonous gas” and “toxic gas” to the allow list.

整理する (15) - Added “to tidy up” and “to tidy” to the allow list.

(15) - Added “lunch” as an alternative meaning and updated the meaning explanation.

未だ (7) - Made いまだ the primary reading, updated the reading explanation, changed the pattern of use to 未だに, updated three common word combinations, and updated two context sentences.

南瓜 (55) - Added なんきん as an alternative reading, updated the reading explanation, and added two context sentences.

先月 (4) - Updated the reading explanation.

日記 (7) - Updated the reading explanation.

近日 (5) - Updated the reading explanation.

同日 (5) - Updated the reading explanation.

何日 (5) - Updated the reading explanation.

平日 (4) - Updated the reading explanation.

先日 (4) - Updated the reading explanation.

休日 (4) - Updated the reading explanation.

日光 (5) - Updated the reading explanation and added “Nikko” to the allow list.

来月 (5) - Updated the reading explanation.

設ける (21) - Added “to open”, “to organize”, “to establish something”, “to set something up”, “to open something” and “to organize something” to the allow list, updated the reading explanation, and added two context sentences.

示す (22) - Added “to show something” and “to demonstrate” as alternative meanings, moved “to show” to the allow list, added “to indicate something” and “to demonstrate something” to the allow list, updated the meaning and reading explanations, and added two context sentences.

湿る (45) - Updated the reading explanation.

熱心 (13) - Added “diligence” to the allow list.

英文 (15) - Added “English text” and “English sentence” to the allow list.

見返す (15) - Added “to put someone to shame” to allow list.

(15) - Added “military” to the allow list.

有毒 (15) - Added “poisoned” to the block list.

紀元前 (17) - Added “Before The Common Era” as the primary meaning, moved “Before Common Era” to the allow list, updated the meaning explanation, and updated two context sentence translations.

紀元後 (15) - Made “Common Era” the primary meaning, and updated the meaning explanation.

攻める (28) - Added “to attack something”, “to attack someone”, “to assault something”, “to assault someone”, “to assail something” and “to assail someone” to the allow list, updated the reading explanation, and added one context sentence.

文字通り (11) - Updated a context sentence translation.

先月 and 先々月 (4) - Switched the order so that 先月 is taught before 先々月 within Level 4.

and 竹の子 (4) - Switched the order so that 竹 is taught before 竹の子 within Level 4.

心理 and 心理学 (7) - Switched the order so that 心理 is taught before 心理学 within Level 7.

怪獣 (26) - Added “big monster” and “monster” to the allow list.

28 Likes

Woah. Having to scroll more for these. You folks have been busy!

ドモども

4 Likes

Thank you, Friend!

3 Likes

Oh my god, I’m late again

5 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

1 Like

Thank you Sayaka, er Kumi, er Jenny!
:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Oh noe’s they got rid of Moe’s!

3 Likes

One more for consideration:

急騰(きゅうとう) has “sudden rise” as it’s primary meaning, with “jump”, and “sharp rise” as alternatives.

Please consider accepting “sudden jump” and “sharp _jump” as official alternatives. (I just now finally remembered to add the user synonym.)

As always: THANK YOU!

Edit:

Also, one more: I just entered “senni” (the reading) for 繊維(せんい) when it was asking for meaning. I don’t do this nearly as often any more, but it’s usually caught with a shake warning when I do. For some reason, this one slipped through, though, and was immediately marked wrong.

No big deal, and probably not a trivial fix, but I thought I’d make you aware of it, regardless.

Noticed something a bit weird on 舟’s kanji page (had that lesson today). On the reading page it says “Try to answer ふな a couple times when doing your reviews. It’ll help when we get to the vocab part.”, but WK itself doesn’t have a single vocabulary that uses the ふな reading. So while those exist, none of them are on WK, and that makes the sentence a bit inaccurate. I thought you’d like to know. :slight_smile:

Thanks for pointing these out @Rrwrex and @MissDagger! We’ll have a look for the updates!

2 Likes

One more to consider.

This is mostly on me for no longer really reading the provided mnemonics (I’ve done enough WK now, that I sorta just absorb new kanji!) but I’d prefer to swap the primary and alternative meanings for the kanji () on level 54.

The primary meaning is “nurse” and the alternative is “suckle” but since “nurse” has two relatively unrelated meanings in English I actually misunderstood the meaning at first (it has nothing to do with 看護師さん). (On me, but I doubt I was the first nor will I be the last. :smile:)

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve used Moe’s from the Simpsons for quite a while now :smiley:

2 Likes

Don’t worry, Moe is sticking around! We just want to keep him exclusively for the も sounds, to avoid mixing our keywords.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the shake only covers not entered enough "n"s, rather than entering too many. :sweat_smile: We’ll consider extending it to that in future, though!

1 Like

I’ve seen this shake for errors in entering a reading: “seni” producing せに, for example. It warns you that a double “n” is required to produce ん.

I’m talking about a shake when answering a quiz about the meaning, though. I’ve seen shakes where it tells you it’s looking for the meaning, not reading, but for some reason it didn’t realize “senni” was an attempt to incorrectly reply with the reading.

Not a big deal, I just wanted to clarify.

1 Like

Ohh I’m sorry I completely misread your post! You’re right that senni should result in a shake when entered into the meaning field. I wonder if this has something to do with the interaction between the “n” shake and this one. I checked and kannan is also not accepted for 勘案, whereas vocab without the double “n” behaves as expected. I’ll pass this on to the engineering team and see if we can get this fixed. Thanks for pointing it out!

2 Likes

I was surprised by this, but after a long search through Jisho.org and Tatoeba.org, it turns out that the note made on the 未だ page is actually correct! (* side-note below)

My question, @TofuguJenny, is whether the Reading Explanation and mnemonic will get updated to reflect this change? Right now it only has a mnemonic for ま.

Also, somewhat related: Is there significant (or even just subtle) difference between the meanings of まだ and いまだ? I ask because on Jisho (via JMDict), the first two meanings apply to both:

1. still; as yet; only
  2. (not) yet​

But the remaining three meanings are noted as ‘Only applies to まだ’ (see Jisho: 未だ):

1. more; (more) still
  2. at least; comparatively; relatively
  3. unfinished; incomplete; not yet done​

(*) Side note: Jisho.org incorrectly lists まだ as the primary reading for 未だ, which is why when you search for sentences on Jisho, it incorrectly adds furigana ま over 未, rather than いま. However, this is only partially Jisho’s fault, as Jisho’s source for this precedence information is from JMDict, which also incorrectly (in my opinion anyway :sweat_smile:) has まだ as the primary reading. My hunch is that the word まだ is more common than the word いまだ, but いまだ is the most common reading for 未だ. When the word まだ is written, it’s almost always just as the kana まだ, and very rarely as 未だ.

3 Likes

You could propose an edit to JMDict, especially if you can point to a confirming source stronger than “my hunch”. IME the JMDict folks are pretty friendly, and if you’re not sure of the right markup syntax you can put text in the comments box to ask for help.

1 Like

Oh! Actually, I was going to mention that I actually did send an email about it to Jim Breen, the lead editor there, proposing a solution. I totally forgot to mention it in the comment above. :sweat_smile:

Basically I just proposed switching the order of the two readings. But because there’s a lot of reasoning behind it, and because the current ordering is tagged as being justified by reference to a book I don’t have access to (to check for myself if it’s being referenced correctly), well, my request was too long for a single comment box, so I put it all in an email.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this up @wct!

My question, @TofuguJenny, is whether the Reading Explanation and mnemonic will get updated to reflect this change?

I’ve made a note to add a mnemonic for いま too, as it should indeed include both.

Is there significant (or even just subtle) difference between the meanings of まだ and いまだ?

The core meanings of “still” and “yet” are the same, but the range of meaning of まだ is broader than いまだ(に). You’d use いまだ(に) only when discussing whether something is still in a specific state or not at the present time, not whether it was still that way in the past. いまだ(に) also implies you think it shouldn’t still be that way, and tends to be more emphatic than まだ.

So, you can use both まだ and いまだ to say things like:

• [まだ/未だに]雪が降っている。 (It’s still snowing.)
  • [まだ/未だに]試験に合格していない。 (He still hasn’t passed the test./He hasn’t passed the test yet.)

But you can’t use いまだ to say things like:

• あの頃は[:o:まだ/:x:未だに]若かった。 (I was still young at the time.)
  • 前の方が[:o:まだ/:x:未だに]よかった (I still liked the previous one better.)
  • ケーキ、[:o:まだ/:x:未だに]食べるの? (Are you going to eat more cake?)

いまだ(に) is also more formal than まだ and is typically used with the particle に, whereas まだ is used without.

2 Likes