Thursday November 23 2023 Content Updates

Radicals

(34) - Added “pansy” to the warning list.

Kanji

(21) - Added “cut” to the allow list.

(24) - Added “view” to the allow list.

(24) - Updated the meaning mnemonic and hint, and updated the reading mnemonic.

(27) - Removed"beggar" from the component, added “prison” to the component, and updated the meaning and reading mnemonics and hints.

(28) - Added “purple” to the block list.

(29) - Added “destroy” to the allow list, and added “collapse” to the warning list.

(30) - Added “dry” to the allow list.

(33) - Added “excelling” to the allow list, and added “gorgeous” to the warning list.

(33) - Added “vein” to the warning list.

(33) - Added “store” to the allow list.

(34) - Added “hear” to the warning list.

(37) - Added “track” and “mark” to the allow list, and added “footprint” to the warning list.

(44) - Added “intrude” to the allow list.

(44) - Added “pleasure” to the allow list.

(44) - Added “draw near” to the allow list.

(44) - Added “grain” to the allow list.

(44) - Added “tear” and “tears” to the allow list.

(45) - Added “gaze” and “view” to the allow list.

(45) - Added “bet" to the allow list.

湿 (45) - Added “wet,” “moist,” and “humid” to the allow list.

(45) - Added “soar" to the allow list.

(45) - Added “insane” and “madness” to the allow list.

(45) - Added “brush” and “brush teeth” to the warning list.

Vocabulary

おはよう (2) - Moved “morning” to the warning list.

以下 (3) - Removed one context sentence and added one context sentence.

(4) - Added “rock” to the allow list.

光年 (5) - Updated the translation for one context sentence.

体内 (5) - Added “external” to the block list.

自立 (5) - Updated the meaning explanation.

先回り (7) - Added “arrive before” to the allow list.

東口 (8) - Moved “eastern exit” and “eastern entrance” to the allow list, and added “south exit,” “south entrance,” and “south gate” to the block list.

向ける (8) - Removed “to face something towards” from the allow list, added “to make something face” to the allow list, removed “to face towards” from the warning list, and added “to face” to the warning list.

仮定 (9) - Added “oppose” to the block list.

仮名 (9) - Added かめい to the warning list, and added “pseudonym,” “made-up name,” and “fake name” to the warning list.

競争 (11) - Added “completion” to the block list.

明らか (14) - Added “bright” to the warning list.

今晩は (15) - Added “evening,” “this evening,” and “as for this evening” to the warning list.

初耳 (15) - Added “first time hearing" and “first time hearing about” to the allow list.

重ねる (16) - Added “to store” to the block list.

兵員 (17) - Added “soldiers,” “soldier,” “number of soldiers,” and “troops” to the allow list.

泣き声 (17) - Added “cry,” “sobbing,” “weep,” “weeping,” “tearful voice,” and “crying voice” to the allow list.

埋める (19) - Updated the meaning explanation, added “to assuage” and “to bridge” to the warning list, updated one common word combination, and added two common word combinations.

震災 (20) - Added “earthquake” to the warning list.

(24) - Added しち to the warning list, and added “matter,” “pawn,” “hock,” “pledge,” and “pawnshop” to the warning list.

事故 (26) - Added “condition” to the block list.

突く (26) - Added “to elbow," “to pierce,” “to spear” to the allow list, moved “to push” to the warning list, added “to butt,” “to gore,” “to nudge,” “to strike,” “to bounce,” “to attack,” “to stimulate,” and “to press” to the warning list, and updated the meaning explanation.

独創 (26) - Added “original creation" as the primary meaning, added “creating something original” as the alternative meaning, moved “originality,” “creativity,” and “creativeness” to the warning list, added “one’s own creation,” “one’s original creation,” “create something original,” “create something unique,” "creating something unique,"and “creation” to the allow list, added collocations, and updated the meaning explanation.

独立 (26) - Updated the meaning explanation.

障る (26) - Added “hinder” to the warning list.

潔い (28) - Added “purple” to the block list.

幼稚 (28) - Added “infancy” to the warning list.

揃う (28) - Added “to match,” “to be gathered,” and “to get together” to the allow list, and added “to gather” to the warning list.

憲法 (28) - Updated one context sentence.

乾季 (29) - Updated one context sentence.

織物 (29) - Added “textile” as the primary meaning, moved “cloth” to the allow list, added “weave” to the warning list, and updated the meaning explanation.

延期する (30) - Added “to delay,” “to put off,” “to defer,” “to hold off,” and “to adjourn” to the allow list.

揃える (30) - Added “to be complete” to the warning list.

絶やす (31) - Added “to let die” and “to exterminate” to the allow list, and added “to get rid of” to the warning list.

画廊 (31) - Added “image gallery” to the warning list, and moved “art gallery” to the alternative meaning.

壊れ物 (31) - Added “fragile” to the warning list.

複数 (33) - Added “multi” and “several” to the allow list.

尊敬 (33) - Added “honor,” “esteem,” and “reverence” to the allow list.

体操 (33) - Added “PE” to the warning list.

(33) - Added “vein” to the warning list.

(33) - Added “not” to the allow list.

泥沼 (33) - Added “swamp” to the warning list.

熟れる (33) - Added “to be ripe” to the warning list.

兄貴 (34) - Added “brother,” “bro,” and “one’s elder” to the allow list, and moved “elder brother” to the allow list.

電源 (34) - Added “power supply,” “plug,” “power,” “electric outlet,” and “electric socket” to the allow list, moved “light socket” to the allow list, and added “switch” to the warning list.

詰め込む (34) - Added “to brood” to the block list.

震源地 (34) - Added “earthquake epicenter,” “earthquake epicentrum,” “epicentre,” and “epicentrum” to the allow list.

腐食 (34) - Added “erosion,” “corrode,” “corroding,” “erode,” and “eroding” to the allow list, and added “rust,” “decay,” “rusting,” “rust away,” “rusting away,” “decaying,” "rot,"and “rotting” to the warning list.

聖書 (34) - Added “holy bible,” “scripture,” “holy scriptures,” and “biblical” to the allow list.

焼き芋 (34) - Added “fried potato” and “fries” to the block list.

蒸し暑い (34) - Added “sultry” to the allow list.

尊敬する (35) - Added “to honor” and “to honour” to the allow list.

彫刻 (35) - Added “carving," “carve,” “engraving,” “engrave,” and “sculpturing” to the allow list, and added “relief” to the warning list.

整然 (36) - Updated one context sentence and one common word combination.

募る (37) - Added “to incite” to the block list.

(37) - Added “track” to the allow list, and added “footprint” to the warning list.

贈る (37) - Added “to give a gift” to the allow list.

譲る (39) - Added “to confer” to the block list.

枢軸 (42) - Added “axis” to the primary meaning, added “central part” as the alternative meaning, added “center,” “centre,” “hinge,” and “central position” to the allow list, moved “axle” to the warning list, updated the meaning explanation, removed a context sentence, and added four context sentences.

威張る (43) - Added “to act big” as the primary meaning, added “to be bossy” as the alternative meaning, added “to be boastful,” “to put on airs,” “to be haughty,” and “to act superior” to the allow list, moved “to be proud” to the warning list, added “to boast” and “to brag” to the warning list, and updated the meaning explanation.

即座 (43) - Added “instant," “instantly,” “immediately,” and “instantaneously” to the allow list.

炉心 (43) - Added “reactor core" to the allow list.

(43) - Added “chafe" to the allow list.

懇親 (43) - Added “intimacy" to the allow list.

絶滅 (43) - Moved “extinction” to the primary meaning, added “become extinct” as the alternative meaning, moved “destruction” to the allow list, added “extermination,” “becoming extinct,” “be extinct,” “being extinct,” “die out,” “dying out,” “exterminate,” and “exterminating” to the allow list, and updated the meaning explanation.

朗らか (43) - Added あきらか to the warning list.

(44) - Added やいば as the alternative reading.

刃物 (44) - Moved “kitchen cutlery” to the allow list, and added “cutting tool” and “blade” to the allow list.

砂丘 (44) - Added “dune” and “sandhill” to the allow list.

雷雨 (44) - Updated the reading explanation.

髪型 (44) - Added “haircut” to the allow list.

泊める (45) - Added “to let stay over” to the allow list, and added “to lodge” to the warning list.

焦る (45) - Added “to be fret” as the alternative meaning, added “to be in a rush,” “to make haste,” “to hurry,” and “to rush” to the warning list.

黒潮 (45) - Added “Kuroshio stream” and “Japanese current” to the allow list.

若い頃 (45) - Added “youth” to the allow list.

塾生 (45) - Added “private school student” to the allow list.

賭け (45) - Added “bet” to the allow list.

排水溝 (45) - Added "sewage gutter” to the allow list.

肌触り (45) - Added "touch of” to the allow list.

11 Likes

joy

5 Likes

ありがとうございました、@mamimumason さん!

2 Likes

… Why? Is that something people were likely to say?

I mean, according to Jisho, 三色菫 is a way of writing pansy in kanji, and 菫 does rather resemble 堇, but 菫 without the 三色 modifier means “violet”, not “pansy”.

3 Likes

\o/

May I suggest adding 珈琲 as a vocabulary word? I’ve seen it on the signs of some coffee shops in Japan and even though it’s not the most common way to write coffee, I see it often enough in real life that I think it may be worth teaching

1 Like

Good point, made an update.

1 Like

Added it to the potential future kanji/vocab list! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is extremely frustrating. When I learned this, “to be proud” was one of the accepted readings. That was the one that resonated with me, that was the one I stuck with for six months. Today it came up in my reviews and I WOULD have burned it, except now it’s no longer an acceptable answer and I had no idea what the correct answer was.

There needs to be something built in to accommodate for these changes between SRS levels.

1 Like

Hello @vikitty san. Thanks for sharing your experiences on the recent changes to 威張る. I completely understand why this update might be frustrating. It’s tough when things change after you’ve put in so much effort and time.

Just to explain a bit more, when we changed the primary meaning, we originally only moved the previous primary meaning to an allow list to avoid exactly this kind of frustration. The idea was to let users like you continue without hiccups, even if the meaning was a bit off.

However, I saw that this approach might prevent some learners from learning the most accurate meaning of the word. So, I advocated for moving such meanings to a warning list instead. (Yes, you can blame me on this.) This way, learners get a heads-up about meanings that are close but not quite right.

So, I’m truly sorry this change caught you off guard and affected your review process. We’re working on reviewing our content more thoroughly to make the meanings more accurate and prevent similar issues in the future. I really appreciate your understanding, and sorry again for the hassle this caused!

3 Likes

Hey Mason,

Just wanted to circle back to you on this!

While doing my reviews today I noticed a new popup-alert that appeared when reviewing a card that has since changed (without me noticing/realizing). It said “We changed the main meaning recently. Check the 開封 page if you need to.”

This is great and exactly what I was looking for. Perhaps further down the line there could be a link to the kanji/vocab page for us to quickly check?

1 Like

Hello @vikitty san! Thanks for getting back to us! We’re happy to hear that you found the new popup-alert helpful. I’ll definitely pass your suggestion along to our team. 有難うございます😃

1 Like