Friday April 8 2022 Content Updates

Kanji

(26) - added “connect” to allow list.

(58) - updated reading mnemonic and hint.

(47) - updated meaning mnemonic, and reading mnemonic and hint.

(40) - added “drop” to radical combination, and updated meaning mnemonic and hint.

(50) - added “tea house” and “hall” to allow list.

(49) - updated reading explanation.

(19) - changed radical breakdown from “tsunami” and “feeling” to “tsunami”, “slide”, “drunkard” and “creeper”, and updated meaning and reading mnemonics and hints.

(39) - updated reading mnemonic and hint.

(13) - added “tool” as alternative meaning.

Vocabulary

冷静 (28) - added “calm” and “composure” as alternative meanings, added “cool”, “composed” and “calmness” to allow list, updated meanings explanation, and added two context sentences.

入隊 (28) - added “enlistment”, “join the army”, “being conscripted” and “being drafted” to allow list.

一日 (2) - updated reading explanation.

追随 (53) - updated reading explanation.

追悼 (55) - updated reading explanation.

〜亭 (50) - added “inn”, “pavilion” and “tea house” as alternative meanings, add “hall” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation.

越す (32) - updated reading explanation.

加える (19) - updated reading explanation.

詳しい (19) - updated reading explanation.

十日 (2) - updated reading explanation.

海魚 (7) - updated reading explanation.

単語 (15) - updated meaning explanation.

山登り (14) - updated meaning explanation.

分かる (3) - added “to be understandable” as alternative meaning, and updated meaning explanation.

助かる (10) - updated meaning explanation.

折れる (16) - added “to be broken”, “to be snapped” and “to be fractured” to allow list.

見返る (13) - updated meaning explanation.

使う (9) - added “to lose” to block list.

失う (7) - added “to use” to block list.

大敵 (21) - added “nemesis” to allow list.

(26) - added “sign” to allow list.

数える (8) - added “to end something” to block list.

拾う (11) - added “to pick up something” to allow list.

微妙 (28) - moved “not great” to allow list, added “subtle” and “mixed” to allow list, and added two context sentences.

構える (29) - added “to adopt a stance” and “to take a stance” to allow list.

Transitive Verb Updates

勉強する (14) - added “to study something” to allow list.

囲む (14) - added “to surround something” and “to enclose something” to allow list.

望む (14) - added “to wish something”, “to desire something”, “to wish for something”, “to hope for something” and “to hope” to allow list.

整理する (15) - added “to arrange something”, “to organize something”,“to sort something”, “to put in order” and “to put something in order” to allow list.

整える (15) - added “to arrange something”, “to organize something” and “to put something in order” to allow list.

好む (15) - added “to be fond of something” and “to like something” to allow list.

信じる (15) - added “to believe something” and “to trust in something” to allow list.

建てる (15) - added “to build something” and “to construct something” to allow list.

変える (15) - added “to change something” as primary meaning, added “to modify”, “to modify something”, “to alter” and “to alter something” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation.

放つ (15) - added “to fire something”, “to hit something”,“to let something loose”, “to set something free”, “to shoot something” and “to release something” to allow list.

見返す (15) - added “to show someone what one can do” as primary meaning, added “to show someone”, “to look back over something” and “to return someone’s stare” as alternative meanings, moved “to look back at” and “to triumph over” to allow list, added “to look back at someone”, “to look back at something” “to triumph over something”, “to triumph over someone” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation.

暗記する (15) - added “transitive verb” to word types, and added “to memorize something” and “to memorise something” to allow list.

練習する (15) - added “transitive verb” to word types, and added “to practice something” and “to practise something” to allow list.

映す (15) - added “to project something” and “to reflect something” to allow list.

浴びる (16) - added “to bathe in” as primary meaning, added “to be exposed to” as alternative meaning, moved “to bathe” to allow list, added “to bathe in something”, “to be exposed to something” “to have”, “to take”, “to bask in something” and “to bask” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation.

残す (16) - added “to leave something behind”, “to leave something over”, “to leave” and “to leave something” to allow list.

約束する (16) - added “to promise something” to allow list.

守る (16) - added “to obey” as alternative meaning, updated meaning explanation, and added “to protect something”, “to defend something”, “to obey something”, “to protect someone” and “to defend someone” to allow list.

辞める (16) - added “to resign from” as alternative meaning, moved “to resign” to allow list, added “to quit something”, “to resign from” and “to resign as something” to allow list, and updated one context sentence translation.

希望する (16) - added “transitive verb” to word types, moved “to want” allow list, and added “to request something”, “to wish something”, “to hope for something”, “to expect something” and “to want something” to allow list.

書く (16) - added “to write something” to allow list.

悲しむ (17) - added “to be sad about” as primary meaning, added “to be saddened by” as alternative meaning, moved “to be sad” to allow list, added “to be sad about something” and “to be saddened by something” to allow list, updated meaning explanation, and updated one context sentence translation.

干す (17) - added “to dry something” as primary meaning, moved “to dry” to allow list, and updated meaning explanation.

察する (17) - added “to guess something”, “to sense something” and “to presume something” to allow list.

愛する (17) - added “to love something” and “to love someone” to allow list.

告げる (18) - added “to announce something” and “to tell something” to allow list.

焼く (18) - added “to bake something”, “to cook something”, “to grill something”, “to burn something” and “to fry something” to allow list.

借りる (18) - added “to borrow something” to allow list.

苛める (18) - added “to bully someone”, “to pick on someone”, “to tease someone” and “to torment someone” to allow list.

切り取る (18) - added “to cut something off”, “to cut something out” and “to clip something” to allow list.

配達する (18) - added “transitive verb” to word types, and added “to deliver something” to allow list.

忘れる (18) - added “to forget something” to allow list.

許す (18) - added “to permit something”, “to forgive something” and “to allow something” to allow list.

取り出す (18) - added “to pick out something”, “to pick something out”, “to take out something” and “to take something out” to allow list.

祈る (18) - added “to pray for” as primary meaning, moved “to pray” to allow list, added “to pray for something”, “to wish”, “to wish something” and “to pray that” to allow list, updated meaning and reading explanations, and updated one context sentence translation.

禁じる (18) - added “to prohibit something”, “to forbid something” and “to ban something” to allow list.

報じる (18) - added “to report on something”, “to break news”, “to break story”, “to report that” and “to cover something” to allow list.

書き直す (18) - added “to rewrite something” to allow list.

洗う (18) - added “to wash something” to allow list.

書き入れる (18) - added “to write something in” and “to fill something in” to allow list.

加える (19) - added “to add something” and “to include something” to allow list.

比べる (19) - added “to compare something” and “to compare someone” to allow list.

覚える (19) - added “to memorize something”, “to remember something”, “to learn something”, “to pick up something” and “to memorise something” to allow list.

連れる (19) - added “transitive verb” to word types, moved “to bring with” and “to lead” to allow list, and added “to take someone along”, “to be accompanied by someone”, “to be with” and “to be with someone” to allow list.

犯す (20) - added “to perpetrate something”, “to commit something” and “to violate something” to allow list.

防ぐ (20) - added “to defend against” as primary meaning, moved “to defend” to allow list, and added, and added “to defend against something”, “to protect against something” and “to prevent something” to allow list.

妨げる (20) - added “to obstruct something”, “to prevent something” and “to hamper something” to allow list.

被る (20) - added “to put something on” and “to wear something” to allow list.

怒らせる (29) - moved “to anger” to allow list, and added “to make someone angry”, “to make angry”, “to offend” and “to provoke someone” to allow list.

39 Likes

Thank you, Jenny!

5 Likes

oh gosh, that’s a lot of updates! Thanks for your hard work!

5 Likes

Woah … lotsa work this month. Very much appreciated.

I won’t even tease you about forgetting the word “April” in the title!

6 Likes

Oops, that’s the exhaustion kicking in! :grin:

7 Likes

all your hardwork is highly appreciated!

3 Likes

Thank you very much, Jenny!

1 Like

Bruh what? Why though?

4 Likes

Thank you, Jenny! :grin:

That’s a lot of transitive verbs :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

感 is slide, drunkard, creeper, heart
減 is tsunami, slide, drunkard, creeper

So the previous breakdown of tsunami, feeling (which included 心) wasn’t correct.

2 Likes

My bad, should’ve elaborated a bit more.

Yes, I see what you are saying.
There’s no 咸 radical on wanikani, yet 感 and 咸 are very close both visually and as phonetics components, and both indicate かん reading. Mentioning the 感 without a heart was a great way to avoid adding a radical for a single kanji and use the closest meaningful one.

Four and five radical mnemonics are always a total mush of words, unintelligible. So I’m all against splitting them up like that, it’s not an improvement. The big radical that looks like Feeling but without the heart is exactly what I saw in this kanji and the explanation was alright because it was closely related to a process or recognition in the head. I do believe that splitting into larger radicals where it’s possible is better both for memorization and recognition.

There are only 3 kanji on the site that are visually close to 感, they go: 感, 減, 憾. So it’s not like there was a problem distinguishing them that could be solved by this splitting.

In short, the way it was before was totally alright, and I’m against fixing not broken. I do believe it’s not for usability’s sake but in the name of some odd perfectionism. I have to mention I’m really glad they do updates and improve the content, but this one bit is a total miss and I had to voice it.

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat on this. 感 was meaningful as a component in the 減 kanji (even though the phonetics are different) and overall it helps recognition if one can isolate those meaningful chunks. Zooming in on pure radicals goes against how the brain utilizes patterns and makes it effectively harder to learn the kanji.

It would be the same if now all kanji with 滴 were split into basic radicals for meaning.

2 Likes

I’d probably prefer it if 咸 was added as a radical. Then 感 would be that + 心. 減 would be it + tsunami, and so on. It would make sense visually and reduce the number of radicals in those kanji.

7 Likes

I was surprised today when 握力(あくりょく) didn’t accept “grip strength”. That actually seems more to the point than the primary meaning of “handgrip” or the awkward alternative “grip of the hand”.

“Grip strength” or just “grip” fits the context sentence, and my preferred 和英辞典 gives several examples where “handgrip” or “grip of the hand” just seem weird:

• あくりょく【握力】 ローマ字
    one’s ┏grip [grasping power].
    ►握力がない be unable to [have no] grip
    ・女性は男性に比べると握力がない. Compared to men, women do not have a strong grip.
    ・彼の右手には握力がまったくなく, ペンを持たせてもすぐに落とした. He has no ability to grip things in his right hand; I put a pen in his hand and he immediately dropped it.
    ・握力がつく[落ちる] gain [lose] the ability to grip.
    ►握力を鍛える do exercises to strengthen one’s grip.
    ◧握力計 a (hand) dynamometer; 〔遊戯場などの〕 a ┏try-[test-]your-grip machine.

I think 握力 should accept both “grip strength” and “grasping power” for certain, possibly replacing the current primary meaning, with just the bare-word “grip” also an acceptable synonym.

It’s always possible I’m missing something, though.

Sisyphus should have been punished with Jenny and the WK crew’s task!

4 Likes

One more:

全裸(ぜんら) • completely nude

半裸(はんら) • half nude

(はだか) • naked (but not “nude”?!)

Please make “nude” the primary meaning and “naked” an acceptable synonym for the vocabulary item. (Alternately, use “naked” for the other two vocabulary items.)

Thanks!

(User synonym already added, of course.)

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! I’ll take a closer look as part of this week’s updates. :face_with_monocle: :pray:

5 Likes

While you’re at it, do you think surplus should be a meaning for the level 20 vocab 余計 in line with the meaning of excess?

2 Likes

@TofuguJenny What are your thoughts on changing 費用 from ‘expenses’ to ‘expense’. The plural looks more like an item of expenditure (like a company expense) rather than a general cost. The explanation is also mixed where ‘expenses’ is plural but ‘cost’ is singular.

1 Like

@Mods Would y’all be willing to consider adding “rough map” to 略図(りゃくず)?

1 Like