"Flesh&Blood" Vol. 14 - Pirate Series Reading Club šŸ“ā€ā˜  ā›µ

Weeeell, I accidentally lied to you and finished the whole book today, @pyororon. Honestly, as much fun as it is to zoom through to drive into it all, thereā€™s a lot that went on that I want to discuss with you; itā€™s just more fun to have someone to talk to and theorize with in the heat of the moment imo. So Iā€™ll definitely be taking a short break until you catch up with v. 14 (no lies this time, promise).

Some thoughts/mysteries after finishing the book:

• How could Ward and his men have known Geoffrey and Kaitoā€™s plans to go to the Hoe? That information shouldā€™ve been known to only them and Lily and Sam (since he had to go plant the flag). I find it hard to believe any of them would have leaked any information.

• What happened to Kazuya? Kaito saw him step through the portal, but he never appeared. Did he go to another world, a different one? Or, more interestinglyā€¦ Weā€™ve been assuming that Kaitoā€™s visions/dreams of him are true and accurate, but weā€™ve never actually seen any proof of that. Maybe Kazuya is just chilling back in the 21st century and is going to get the surprise of his life when a near-death Kaito shows up.

• They didnā€™t really go into detail as to why Geoffrey couldnā€™t accompany Kaito; his being unfamiliar with 21st century life is true, and his sudden appearance would cause untold complications probably, but it didnā€™t feel like there was enough page space to justify the decision. Like, I understand why ę¾å²”å…ˆē”Ÿ wants to keep the main narrative in the 16th century, but raising such a tantalizing possibility and then waving it awayā€¦ Thatā€™s rough.

• I just need to give up, I know, but Iā€™m pretty sad Nigel was in no way involved in the events of the last chapters: Kaitoā€™s origins confession + the last stand on the Hoe. Like, I can accept Kaito and Geoffrey are endgame, but Nigelā€™s such an important part of the cast, imo. :\ And it does make sense why he needs to keep up the facade of ā€œeverything is normalā€ for Walsingham, but still, it stings. Especially since his big scene in this book was literally kidnapping Kaito because he couldnā€™t bear to do nothing. :\

• Still harping on Nigel: thinking about it, absolutely nothing was resolved with his character in this volume, which feels weird given his big incident. Iā€™m not sure what to think about this. ę¾å²”å…ˆē”Ÿ didnā€™t like Nigel? She wanted to write more but was limited to a page count? Sheā€™s cleverly building tension and will definitely bring it home in a future book? All I can hope for is the third option.

• As always, I get the feeling that ę¾å²”å…ˆē”Ÿā€™s books are simply not thick enough for the amount of detail and space that I want to read about; I feel like the majority of F&B books could be twice as thick, no lie, and still have plenty to talk about.

• I know/assume from being an omniscient reader (i.e. seeing the covers of later books) that Geoffreyā€™s likely going to be fine, but I wonder how this is all going to play out. Itā€™s super unreasonable and has a 0% charge of happening, but I would love for Vicente to take the stage again and rescue Geoffrey.

• Kaito said heā€™s be back soon; I donā€™t have the book in front of me at the moment, but it seems like he said itā€™d be a few months? But unless I misunderstood his and Lilyā€™s conclusions in an earlier chapter, wouldnā€™t the next tunnel opening be in summer? So heā€™s got a good 6 months to go, assuming he doesnā€™t miss that opening.

• I didnā€™t think about it at the time, but during chapter 9, when Kaitoā€™s laying out his ā€œIā€™m from the futureā€ proof, heā€™s laying down a ridiculous amount of cash in front of Geoffrey. :rofl: He shows him a 5 pound and 10 pound note, very roughly equivalent to Ā£1,023 and Ā£2,046 for Geoffrey according to this website. Granted, Kaitoā€™s money wouldnā€™t have been seen as legal tender in the 1580s, so it would have been worthless, but I thought it was still interesting in hindsight. I wonder if Geoffrey will look back at some point and ponder just how rich Kaito actually is, haha.

Thatā€™s all Iā€™ve got for now; Iā€™ll have to ponder events while I cook supper, and will add on more thoughts as they come to me.

1 Like

So fast :open_mouth: At this rate by the end of the series youā€™ll be able to do a volume a day.
The unspoilered parts of your posts have really tempted me so I think Iā€™ll jump into this volume later tonight. It shouldnā€™t take me too long to catch up but if you ever get the urge to start the next volume no pressure to wait for me!

1 Like

I could see it. :thinking: Iā€™m still having to look up a bunch of words (Iā€™m at cough approximately 7500 flash cards created, though Iā€™m not studying them all concurrently), but once you get used enough to an authorā€™s writing style it helps quite a bit. Plus F&B tends to be on the faster-paced side as well, so there are comparatively fewer slow parts. Granted, I would need a full day with nothing else in it, too, and those are rare days indeedā€¦

Excellent, mission accomplished. :ok_hand:

Much appreciated! I will wait for just a bit, partly because Iā€™m really curious your take on stuff that happened this volume, and partly because I put off a lot of stuff today to keep reading the book, so I need to take some measure of responsibility. Volume 15 should be really good, though!

1 Like

Done with chapter 1.

Wasnā€™t expecting to start off from Janā€™s perspective, it took me a bit to understand what was going on. We find out heā€™s on his way to meet up with Raul who has successfully escaped to the Netherlands. It also seems like heā€™s been working on a plan to finally rid himself of him.

Raul, like usual is plotting something. Turns out he is petty enough to keep going after Kaito even though he knows heā€™s dying. His plan this time is to leak false information to implicate Kaito as a Spanish agent to Walsingham. Through this he can get revenge on Geoffrey as well since he knows heā€™ll try and defend Kaito. I wonder what it is that Raul has on Jan, that 怌ꀝ恄å‡ŗ恛怂äøęœå¾“ć®å ±ć„ć‚’å—ć‘ć‚‹ć®ćÆčŖ°ć ļ¼Ÿć€seems like it could be referring to another person maybe?

I guess regardless it wouldnā€™t be good since the conflict in information would create some suspicion on them

Heā€™s certainly quite somethingā€¦ :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m thinking, too. I donā€™t remember if it was mentioned in the main books, but the first short story in Flesh&Blood外伝 儳ēŽ‹é™›äø‹ć®ęµ·č³ŠćŸć” | L33 does tell us that Janā€™s married, so itā€™s possible Raulā€™s got his wife and/or children (no clue if he managed to have any kids before being taken prisoner by Spain, granted).

Very true; Walsingham, like Raul, would be petty/suspicious enough to use every little bit of info as potential leverage.

1 Like

A bit off topic, but to answer why I personally like Raul and Jan in particular:

I just love this sort of intrigue where weā€™re left guessing and making up ideas about the whyā€™s and whenā€™s or imagining what might happen next. This is the reason for me liking the Kylo Ren and Armitage/General Hux setting, because they were so obviously not working together, while on the ā€œsame sideā€, but as people vie for power over the other, it just gives story-writing about it a huge boost of energy. Like, you can take this wherever you want. Too a good place or not or somewhere in-between. You wonā€™t know before you read. :grin:

Itā€™s lovely to see the pull and play between Kaito and Jeoffrey, but, itā€™s different. But, yeah, these scenes are also voiced acted later onā€¦just as a side noteā€¦ :grin:

2 Likes

So many great insights, but, this one just wowed me!

Short reply: I never even for a moment considered it that Joe was male. I canā€™t say exactly how it turned into Joan for me, but now that it has been the case over multiple yearsā€¦iā€™m probably as bad as shaking that notion of Joe being a Joe not a Joan, as how to spell Geoffreyā€™s name right. Perhaps, though, that oneā€™s more up in air, well nominally, but really not, but it at least has some basis in canon. XD

In the end, Iā€™m gonna just sayć‚øćƒ§ćƒ¼ and if Iā€™m not in a position to say type kana, then donā€™t be surprised by some random gender swap. :joy: But, I just canā€™t get my initial visual for this character out of my head. ^^ā€™

1 Like

No worries! I always know what you mean, Joe/Joan or Jeoffrey/Geoffrey, so spell it all however you want! I just wanted to give you a heads up in case you legitimately didnā€™t know, especially since itā€™s been a while since you visited the books.

That one was mangled by some earlier official work officially spelling it Jeoffrey before the typo was caught iirc, haha (or I misread it as such?). Canā€™t remember what it was now; I double-check the illustration in the first volume and see Geoffrey, so I donā€™t remember where I originally saw that spelling myself.

Totally agree. :+1: While I donā€™t like them as a couple per se, them acting as a couple definitely brings a fair bit of tension and second-guessing to the party, I think. Kaito and Geoffrey are nice, like you mentioned, but I agree with them being different. Theyā€™re almost a bit too boring imo when youā€™ve got that assurance of ā€œtrue love foreverā€ or whatever. (I hope Iā€™m phrasing that right?) Jan and Raul, howeverā€¦ Both of them are loose cannons, imo, which at least for me is why itā€™s so exciting to see what theyā€™re up to, even if itā€™s just a single chapter that doesnā€™t impact the rest of the book.

I think thereā€™s a side story that features both (?) of them that I havenā€™t read yet; I really need to get around to itā€¦

2 Likes

For me, the anniversary character books is when I truly read his name and tried to read something about the character. It just stuck with me a that point with that super-hot and different vibe the new illustrator brought to the series. I just didnā€™t vibe much with the first illustrations, that I just saw for 3 BLCD releases, before they changed it. But for the book series, it was a bit different. Clearly, I just only experienced that later. ^^

1 Like

Yeah; as appreciative as I am for the original illustratorā€™s work on F&B, 彩 entering the scene with CDs 4+ and books 12+ are just on another level entirely. I always flinch a bit when I recommend F&B to someone then show them the first volumeā€™s cover, because I know it doesnā€™t make the best impression that it could.

:fire:
I havenā€™t done much research on the artist 彩, so I donā€™t know most of what theyā€™ve worked on, but I do know that they did the art for ćƒ–ćƒ©ć‚¤ćƒˆćƒ»ćƒ—ćƒŖć‚ŗćƒ³ å­¦åœ’ć®ē¾Žć—恍ē”Ÿć‘č“„ | L30??; have you read any of the series, by chance?

you might experience the side story in the main series? I still donā€™t know the side stories as such, but I do wonder if theyā€™re not just chapters incorporated into the main story.

There are multiple reasons for why that could be, but Iā€™m to exhausted to explain but rather say - itā€™s a light novel series which means the final volumes are actually compilations of what has previously been published in a serialized format in magazines. So, what is a single chapter or part of the main story is fluent.

1 Like

As far as Iā€™ve read of them, theyā€™re a combination of smaller pagecount bits of fluff and longer pagecounts of stuff you could actually include in the main F&B volumes and no one would notice. I mentioned up in an earlier post in this thread that sometimes I have to wonder if ę¾å²”å…ˆē”Ÿ has a hard limit by her publisher on the number of pages theyā€™ll print per book. Thereā€™s quite a bit more she could include, and based on the sheer number of side stories sheā€™s released, sheā€™s well aware of it.

Some of them were actually published in doujinshi she published herself, which is pretty cool!

1 Like

I mean, there as the bad example of Ai no Kusabi - Wikipedia when there was little or not editor holding the author back clearly. Because, there is only digressions into side-tracks, then there is world building, and more world building, a bit of the main story, more side-tracks and somehow an even more comprehensive world-building that goes deeper, and then some story bits.

Itā€™s a light-novel series that screams for a capable editor that makes the story become a better work, because, YES, the editor is very much what makes or breaks an author. Itā€™s not a one-wo/man show, but rather a team effort and always has been. James Joyce is perhaps the most famous example of it, but most authors have a need to sort out the bad for the crap and the good from the excuisite ideas here. Thatā€™s what a good editor does.

But, yeah, light novels are sold by the chapter printed in magazines monthly, weekly or bimontly etc. And as such, this series has indeed been under pressure to produce content at times, Iā€™m sure and times when the author wanted to expand ideas, while the editor and magazine just was not up for it - thus room for extras and what not.

Still, itā€™s unclear to me whatā€™s what here. What is ā€œcanonā€ and whatā€™s extra-canon, lol. Itā€™s all canon really if itā€™s by the author, but still, could exist outside of the main-story frankly, like several of the One Piece movies. Extras, but still real somehow.

1 Like

This suggests itā€™s really outside of the scope of the canon-proper though. She has clearly endorsed it, but itā€™s not part of published canon really. :eyes:

Because, doujinshi are all self-publishing formats. ^^

Sheā€™s not the first to do this. If youā€™ve encountered the BL-series Gravitation -thereā€™s some truly explicit doujinshi, the mangaka has drawn that the publisher was not interested in publishing under their name a least. ^^ā€™

1 Like

Canonā€™s such a sticky question. I havenā€™t seen any comment of hers mentioning what is or is not ā€œofficialā€ (besides the school AU doujin she wrote, haha. Pretty sure thatā€™s not official to the main canon), so Iā€™ve just been considering everything canon. :person_shrugging: Nothing Iā€™ve read contradicts with anything else, which helps.

1 Like

of course, itā€™s by the main author. And so, it probs fits well into the ā€œverseā€ as it were. But, still, not knowing about these extras are not important to getting on with the main story is a give-away. :slight_smile:

Theyā€™re extras. Very enjoyable, but, ultimately not what carries the main story and plot - I think is fair to say.

Iā€™ll have to think more about this for sure, but those are my thoughts for now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I agree! I havenā€™t read anything thatā€™s a must-know for the story at large, for better or worse.

1 Like

Next two done!

Chapter 2

Back to the main crew and itā€™s clear Kaitoā€™s condition is starting to steadily decline. This means heā€™s pretty much stuck on bed rest, which gives him a lot of time to chat with Lily. His conversation with Lily really drives home how far back in the past this was. Itā€™s hard to imagine a time where you couldnā€™t get a lot of the vegetables that we eat constantly now.

Chapter 3

We get to see how Geoffrey is faring, heā€™s understandably torn up about the possibility of losing Kaito and unsuccessfully trying to distract himself with drinking. He then hears Lily call for help and thereā€™s a close call where Kaito is choking on blood and they canā€™t get it dislodged, but due to Geoffreyā€™s quick thinking of using a feather as a straw they manage to get it out.

Despite the hopelessness of the situation it seems like Geoffrey is managing to keep a level head, in direct contrast to Nigel who seems to be losing his cool. He still doesnā€™t trust Lily and is desperately trying to find any method that could possibly treat Kaito. Hearing about a possible treatment that a doctor in London is working on, he wants to bring Kaito there or possibly call the doctor to them, even with the risks of being found out by Walsingham. There seems to be a bit of a role reversal here, with Geoffrey being the one explaining how reckless that plan is when itā€™s usually the opposite.

That part at the end :eyes:. Geoffrey and Kit have realized that thereā€™s something up with Lily and Geoffrey plans to have a talk with her about it soon. I canā€™t wait to see how thatā€™s going to turn out.

I thought that was so clever, that double meaning would be way harder to pull off in English. It was funny he just thought Kaitoā€™s ā€œweirdā€ way of talking was rubbing off on her lol

Ikr it seems like theyā€™re getting so close to figuring things out!

1 Like

I like how well the two complement each other; some situations one excels, and others the other friend does. They make a good pair. Ever since Nigel confessed to Geoffrey about kissing Kaito on the Hoe (right before Vicente got there), Iā€™ve wondered how their relationship would change.

Canā€™t wait to see what you think of the next chapter. :eyes:

1 Like

This made me really curious so I got right to it and oh no

Chapter 4

Well thatā€™s not good :anguished:. The conversation from the last chapter was making me a little worried about just Nigel and Kaito being in the house alone and that turned out to be for good reason. I didnā€™t expect him to go that far though. Nigelā€™s decision here is probably going to have some repercussions from now on, they were able to work through the love triangle situation for the most part but Iā€™m not sure Geoffrey is gonna be able to forgive this one easily.

Thatā€™s definitely gonna hurt to read but it also feels long overdue at this point

1 Like