First hiragana, katakana, and kanji. And now this!

That’s right, 〆.

It isn’t hiragana. It isn’t katakana. It isn’t even kanji.

And yet it is Japanese.

Discuss.

I asked my Japanese teacher about it and apparently they use that symbol to seal letters. I saw it in a Japanese cooking video as well.

Yep, upon googling it and looking through the images, this came up.

Well looks like a turtle to me XD

I’m pretty sure this does in fact count as a Kanji, as it is considered a 国字 for various ”しめ" words.

Not according to wikipedia! Let the controversy begin.

This character is used to write 締め shime in 締め切り/締切 shimekiri (“deadline”) (as 〆切) and similar. It is also used, less commonly, for other shime namely 閉め, 絞め and 占め. A variant 乄 is use as well, to indicate that a letter is closed, as abbreviation of 閉め. The character originated as a cursive form of ト, the top component of 占 (as in 占める shimeru), and was then applied to other kanji of the same pronunciation. See ryakuji for similar abbreviations.
This character is also commonly used in regards to sushi. In this context, it refers that the sushi is pickled. In this context, it is still pronounced shime.

I saw the character for the first time last night, reading on some Japanese website about Oden. :slight_smile:

So, can we say Japanese uses 6 scripts?

abc と 123 と カタカナ と ひらがな と 漢字 と 〆

While it’s in that page, it doesn’t explicitly state it isn’t a Kanji though, in fact it does call it a 略字 which one can assume must make it a Kanji. Also the Japanese page gives it a Kunyomi reading and a radical, which non-Kanji don’t have. If this wasn’t a Kanji you’d have to say pretty much any 草書 character isn’t Kanji.

Though on a bit more of an inspection it seems to be called a 準仮名 漢字, along with all the other “not quite anything” characters like ー (the sound extender) ゟ and ヿ which are typographic ligatures for より and こと respectively.

Hey, don’t forget 万葉仮名, 変体仮名 and 草仮名

And, for bonus marks, Japanese braille.

“変体仮名”

Hentaigana hehe