Favorite Japanese Word, kanji, or Grammar concept?

“Say No” means “Let’s go”.
せーの!

not to be confused with 洗脳

1 Like

@Channyella thanks for starting this fun post!
Whilst it isn’t a kanji, I like how ここには何も無い [ここにはなにもない (there’s nothing here)] it sounds nice as it easily rolls of your tongue :slight_smile:

頑張る [がんばる (to do one’s best)]. When I first started studying Japanese I wanted to try my best to be able to read and understand complicated kanji like 頑張 thus I’m always able to relate this.

1 Like

Two different ways of looking at the same thing. 五十歩百歩

あらゆる

all, every

mellifluous

1 Like

久しぶり - long time no see
most fav

So funny lol 笑笑

I love how 一日 gets pronounced. It sounds like it’s having all the fun!

1 Like

My current favourite kanji is 小説 because I like how it flows when I write it.

I think I just like the way they sound, Or it feels satisfying to pronounce or something.
吸血鬼
不思議
知恵

I like the grammar form for describing how someone else feels, in particular when you’re saying what someone else wants/wants to do.

It’s the want-to (~たい) form, then the い becomes (~がる). So, to say someone wants to drink-

飲むー飲みたいー飲みたがる

But since this is almost always used to describe their current state, it goes one step further to ている form.

飲むー飲みたいー飲みたがる~飲みたがっている

彼女は水を飲みたがっています。 → She wants to drink water.

I like the way it sounds and there’s just so much going on there.

1 Like

I came across 調べる in my lessons last night and it immediately became my favourite.
It’s because of how the reading sounds and what I associate it with; my main driving reason to learn Japanese- the people who found me on twitter because I cosplayed a specific character- whose name in katakana reads シャリベル.

Favorite word would probably be よろしい. Just like the way it sounds, especially when a girl is the one saying it. It just feels like a very soft word, yknow?

Now that I think about it, I like any word that end in しい. Sadly there is only a small handful of them.

Have you collected them? There may be more than you think… I started making a list a while ago, but I misplaced it :confused:

However, it was pretty easy to recreate, and got longer than I was expecting.

懐かしい(なつかしい)
恥ずかしい(はずかしい)
美しい(うつくしい)
新しい(あたらしい)
楽しい(たのしい)
難しい(むずかしい)
美味しい(おいしい)
忙しい(いそがしい)
涼しい(すずしい)
優しい・易しい(やさしい)
おかしい
正しい(ただしい)
厳しい(きびしい)
悲しい(かなしい)
珍しい(めずらしい)
厳しい(きびしい)
素晴らしい(すばらしい)
I believe there are more, but these are the common ones that I can think of / find with a quick search.

Oh where to start? Allow me to break the forum’s formatting: (Edit: Didn’t work)

①わずらわしい
②かるがるしい
③あいくるしい
④めまぐるしい
⑤よそよそしい
⑥かたくるしい
おもくるしい
⑦いちじるしい
⑧なれなれしい
⑨そらぞらしい
⑩めあたらしい
⑪わざとらしい
⑫おとこらしい
⑬おんならしい
⑭みすぼらしい
⑮めまぐるしい
⑯かわいらしい
⑰こにくらしい
⑱デモクラシイ
⑲はれがましい
⑳なまなましい
㉑なまめかしい
㉒ものさびしい
㉓あつかましい
㉔ほほえましい
㉕わざとらしい
㉖いたいたしい
㉗あわただしい
㉘たどたどしい
㉙よろこばしい
㉚ばかばかしい

Bonus Round:

神々しい
恭しい
騒々しい
女々しい
鬱陶しい
仰々しい
麗しい

2 Likes

I was about to say, there is like an army of words that end with しい. Heck, らしい is probably one of the most basic and common grammar points you’ll come across. A lot of words, especially -like words, have しい in them.

Having raised a child, I have a fondness for 赤ちゃん. The idea of calling a baby “Mr. Red” and picturing its squalling little red face tickles to me to no end.

2 Likes

wow :heart_eyes: it’s so big!

That is a lot of 〜しい words!

In Old Japanese I-adjectives were actually two distinct classes, 〜く and 〜しく with the later being 〜しい adjectives. I believe 〜い was the 終止形 of both forms.

Either way, the majority of 〜しい are related to feelings.

I was being sarcastic LOL. I was contemplating saying “theres only two or three of them” to make it more obvious, but decided against it.

Well thank you for the list syphus殿