English input converts to katakana first

Hi everyone,

I couldn’t find the topic like that by search on “English input katakana” keywords.

I am using an Android mobile phone with SwiftKey keyboard. The matter is, that if I am using English layout to enter the reading the first symbol is always converted to katakana while all the other to hiragana. The answer is not accepted by the system. So I have to switch to the Japanese layout of the SwiftKey to enter hiragana every time when I need reading and back when I need meaning. That’s not a big deal for me for the current moment, but I believe this still is a bug worth mentioning.

That’s the screenshot

Make sure the first letter in your input isn’t capitalised - a syllable starting with a capitalised letter will end up being converted to katakana.

All right then. The automatic capitalisation in the beginning of the sentence…
The case is solved. Thanks!

At least with most keyboards, WK doesn’t set ‘autocapitalization’ mode; SwiftKey seems to be decided to do this on it’s own. I don’t think this happens with Gboard.

As others have stated, this is a Swiftkey issue. SK doesn’t recognise various HTML attributes on input fields which are what control autocapitalization. I have this issue with Kaniwani as I use that through a browser, and I’ve taken to swapping to GBoard when doing reviews there.

I recommend WK since you’re on Android. It works brilliantly, forces lower case correctly for SwiftKey, and also has a nice feature of disabling predictive typing so you can’t “remember” by what options are presented by the keyboard.

I found mention of someone having reported it a while back, and it not being fixed, so SwiftKey know about it.

Thanks, I’ll try it. In fact I can switch the autocapitalisation off, but this will be permanent, so if the application works fine, then it will be really nice.