Duolingo Vs Lingodeer

lingodeer. Year ago when I tried it had solid n5-n4 grammar with very good explanation.
About Duolingo I agree with brit here.

2 Likes

You cannot replace DuoLingo with LingoDeer.

Duolingo is a great practice resource. I use it strictly for practice, not for vocabulary builder or learning grammar. Suppose you have finished all courses (even if only 1 level each, then I think you can move on). For more challenges, use Japanese to English. I agree with other people here that it is repetitive, but I like the randomness of DuoLingo. I read studies that random order is really good for long-term learning than structured ones.

I have LingoDeer lifetime, but personally, I think there’s too much hype around it, just like Busuu. If you want an explanation for grammar, just buy a grammar dictionary. I like how BunPro doesn’t explain a lot and leaves references instead.

LingoDeer is just like BunPro with more structure, but not enough to test you. If I had to choose, I would ditch LingoDeer/Busuu and invest in BunPro + books instead. DeerPlus is also a good one for practice. HeyJapan is a cheaper alternative to LingoDeer if you don’t mind the robot voice.

All people bashing DuoLingo either are already an intermediate or advanced level or already good with sentence composition. However, it is perfect for beginner level to get the structure of the sentence correct. For complaints about strange translations, you will find that everywhere, not just DuoLingo. Even google translate is bad at translating. I also use Clozemaster and it also has weird translations. I couldn’t find a good alternative for sentence composition exercise other than DuoLingo or Migii app. LingoDeer has the exercise, but it is too little.

2 Likes

It’s only on the mobile app. People who use Duolingo a lot use a web browser even on mobile to avoid it

1 Like

I haven’t used Lingodeer much aside from the testing out feature to see approximately what my Japanese level is at, but I found it pretty annoying that it often marked me as wrong when I used kanji where it expected hiragana. There was no way to report each incident either, which was discouraging for the future improvement of the service

On the topic of LingoDeer, does anyone have experience with the Korean lessons?

1 Like

Oh god there’s a bunpo and a bunpro. I never realized they were different. Thank you so much

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense. I never bothered with the app and just did it like this. I guess it was for the best :sweat_smile:.

If you want to learn stuff Lingodeer, Duolingo is half learning english and half learning japanese, Duolingo has a lack of explanation, and the things that explain are usually bad.

For example, duolingo does not explain verbs, it just tells that memorize a specific conjugation for a verb without telling you de structure, and while teaching the V[stem], one of the exercises of the same lesson forces you to use potential form, without telling you why, and it becomes confusing and frustrating

1 Like

The best advice I’ve come across is that these types of apps are supplements at best. No one has ever reached proficiency solely with Duolingo. So it really doesn’t matter what app you choose as long as you stick with something and consistently practice every day.

4 Likes

I’ve been curious about that. Do the LD+ games sync with the content you’ve unlocked in the main app? Or are they completely separate?

I personally used LingoDeer to get through N5 and N4 because Genki by itself was too dry for me. I really liked it and feel it gave me a good foundation in basic Japanese grammar and vocabulary. It is nowhere near enough to get you to real proficiency (let alone fluency), but the way I see it, you need to learn the foundational grammar somehow. For me, interactive app-based learning was a lot more fun than a textbook, and I really liked that it had a review feature that allowed me to reinforce previous chapters however/whenever I wanted.

After I got through most of LD’s N4 content, I switched to Tobira and Bunpro. I cancelled my LD monthly subscription for now because I don’t think it has much to offer beyond N4 (unless it has drastically changed in the last year) - but I think I’ve made huge progress in my Japanese language journey in just a year and for me, LingoDeer was definitely a big part of laying the groundwork for that.

It is NOT a perfect app (several of its most prominent flaws have already been brought up here), but it worked well for me for the limited scope of content it is built to handle.

2 Likes

There is a FAQ in LingoDeer Plus and I’ll reproduce what it says:

Q: Are the levels in LingoDeer Plus mapped to the main LingoDeer course?
A: No, LingoDeer Plus has its own content database that is separate from the main course in LingoDeer. But both have an A1-B1 progression in difficulty.

Personally, having used both for a short while I’ve found that they do vaguely align in terms of new words being introduced. Depends how quickly you are going through each one. If you get a reasonable way into LingoDeer and then start using the games in Plus you’ll get some good revision.

1 Like

Oh well I’ve paid for LD already and i know it is just a supplement…if it can help me get to N4 (with other resources) in say 2 years i will consider it a great investment.

1 Like

You can user the browser version on a laptop or mobile device to get around the heart system

I went for the free 14 days before deciding if I want to pay for Lingodeer. This was the thank you message I got when paying the app, should I be worried about the grammar already? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.