Discord groups not allowed?

Oh yes, those words are things that are true totally.

1 Like

The entry clearly says “Please do not share unofficial discords on our forums.”
Not: “Please do not share THIS unofficial discord on our forums.”

Is your distinction necessary? How many discord servers claiming to be associated with WK are there? If there’s just the one, it’s the same thing.

Absolutely is that necessary, yes. You can’t just block an entire platform just because three people are having an argument on a certain server on that platform. That’d be insane. It’d also prevent future discord groups from being created.

Also, there are indeed at least 2 discord servers (that i know of).

No one is stopping anyone from doing anything elsewhere. They just don’t want you posting about it here.

1 Like

Even though it doesn’t say it directly, I think it’s just ones with WaniKani in the name, not all…

1 Like

Right, that’s what makes it unofficial in this context. Like… if you shared the unofficial discord server for some random thing, it wouldn’t be against that rule.

1 Like

It’s hard to gather any wanikani members outside of wanikani.
I really like using discord and i really like wanikani and it’s a lot easier to get people to know better on discord.
So it does prevent me from doing that because i can’t do it somewhere else.

How would you like to get a ban from wanikani because someone with the same name did something stupid?

that’s why it’s an UNOFFICIAL wanikani group. What’s so bad about having a group based on a certain website?

1 Like

So why does WaniKani HAVE to be in the name of the discord server? I don’t see what the problem is. Is this really objectionable?

No one is saying you can’t have a discord server. No one is saying you can’t tell people on WK about your discord server. But they are saying they don’t want you using WaniKani in the name.

We don’t even know if that’s actually the problem. But a group made for fellow wanikani members to, for example, talk about doing reviews/lessons or motivating each other and giving tips. What else would you put in the name?

It’s the only interpretation that makes sense based on the context.

As for what to call it, I’m sure you’re more resourceful than you’re giving yourself credit for.

1 Like

I would read:

“Do not post unofficial Discords on our forum”.

As:

“Do not post ANY Discord that is not OFFCIAL”. That is a perfectly logical reading of what was said and needs clarification.

Words matter, the OP is not clear.

One interpretation is them asking for their name not to appear in something that isn’t run by them.
The other interpretation of “unofficial” comes off as really strange, because it would mean things that are official discords of other websites or whatever would be okay.

Do you mean me as OP or Kristen? :smiley:

Unofficial does imply that it is not related to wanikani.
Of course official ones would be ok because that’d mean they are moderated and/or supported by wanikani. They wouldn’t give their consent to something they don’t allow^^

I didn’t say anything about them making an official one, I meant like… the other interpretation involves Kristen wanting to convey the idea that any official discord is okay, and any unofficial discord is not okay, regardless of what they are official or unofficially related to, which would be an odd tangent for her to go on.

I’m saying it’s limited to her saying things that are discords claiming to be associated with WaniKani but aren’t are disallowed.

She has no reason to ban the unofficial discord of MLB or something. It’s just weird to imagine her imagining that.

I’m in agreeance with Leebo. Why else would the Japanisation classroom be allowed to live on the forums?

As in Kristin in your original post.

If your going to make a rule it shouldn’t require the users to keep up with months old drama to be able to correctly interpret what you mean.

The ruleing by the admin is not clear. As you pointed out by making this post, and by people clearly having multiple interpretations of what they want it to mean.

Them having an official Discord would not be strange, so banning all but said official can not be seen a strange.

It’s simple if they want to moderate then the rulings have to be clear. There are questions on this ruling so and admin needs to clear it up. None of us are going to do that.

1 Like

So if Wanikani doesn’t want you to post about unofficial Discord groups, and I’m assuming they don’t have the power to remove Discord groups from Discord, isn’t this topic a really roundabout way of promoting unofficial Discord groups because now we all know that we can search for unofficial Wanikani groups on Discord even though they can’t specifically be promoted here?

@anon20839864, fyi, the folks above seem to have a question for you. I’m just passing through, and noticed no one had tagged you about it yet. :slight_smile: