DEPRECATED TOPIC: English - Japanese vocabulary recall tool: KaniWani

This is great! Thanks!!

Tadgh11 said...
Vesiapina said... So this is the correct KaniWani thread!! Boy do I feel embarrassed now. :D

And you've written the ability to manually re-lock levels is coming soon(ish). Alright, that settles my question then. Though I hope it will come soon, I can't use KW right now with over a thousand items open. :(
Chuck me your KW username and i'll reset it :) email me at tadgh@cs.toronto.edu 
 Emailed. :) Thanks!

Thanks for this! I’m just starting out with WaniKani and I think this will be a fantastic complement for vocab recall.

Hmm, for some reason kaniwani isn’t updating with the new vocab I am learning on WaniKani. I currently only have two words (total!) that kaniwani is cycling me through. Does anyone have any idea why this may be the case? Maybe it’s because I’m still on a trial account?

sirbinkalot said... Hmm, for some reason kaniwani isn't updating with the new vocab I am learning on WaniKani. I currently only have two words (total!) that kaniwani is cycling me through. Does anyone have any idea why this may be the case? Maybe it's because I'm still on a trial account?
 That doesn't sound right.... Keep in mind that KW does only vocab, so no Kanji or radicals will show up. The other thing is the update period. By default, Kaniwani will pull your new vocab in two scenarios:

1) Once every 3 hours
2) Whenever you log in. 

This is designed to keep the load on WKs API as low as possible.

If however you've logged in and out, and you're STILL missing vocab, let me know what your username is, and I'll investigate. 

this is great, thanks!

Tadgh11 said... That doesn't sound right.... Keep in mind that KW does only vocab, so no Kanji or radicals will show up. The other thing is the update period. By default, Kaniwani will pull your new vocab in two scenarios:

1) Once every 3 hours
2) Whenever you log in. 

If however you've logged in and out, and you're STILL missing vocab, let me know what your username is, and I'll investigate. 
 Aha, thank you for your help! I think I know what the issue was.
I never actually logged out of KaniWani. It was permanently logged in on my browser, even after closing the browser or restarting the computer.
Just then I forced a log out and logged back in, and voila, many new items appeared!

Thank you again.
Tadgh11 said...
sirbinkalot said... Hmm, for some reason kaniwani isn't updating with the new vocab I am learning on WaniKani. I currently only have two words (total!) that kaniwani is cycling me through. Does anyone have any idea why this may be the case? Maybe it's because I'm still on a trial account?
 That doesn't sound right.... Keep in mind that KW does only vocab, so no Kanji or radicals will show up. The other thing is the update period. By default, Kaniwani will pull your new vocab in two scenarios:

1) Once every 3 hours
2) Whenever you log in. 

Did not realize I should be logging out! Was wondering what was going on. My vocab seemed stuck as well, logged out and logged back in... now I've got 125 reviews waiting (oh god...) 

Thanks!

Helpful app, compliments WaniKani quite well. Keep up the good work.

rorya said...
Tadgh11 said...

1) Once every 3 hours
2) Whenever you log in. 

Did not realize I should be logging out! Was wondering what was going on. My vocab seemed stuck as well, logged out and logged back in... now I've got 125 reviews waiting (oh god...) 
 honestly you shouldnt have to log out, i have an asynchronous task that should be re-syncing you every once in a while, but I guess its not running for some people....

Hello, kaniwani is a really nice app but I have a lot of wrong answers  because  kaniwani doesn’t specify if he’s asking for the kanji or the vocabulary word. Is there a way to fix that ? 

Thanks in advance for your reply,
Regards. 

glonglon said... Hello, kaniwani is a really nice app but I have a lot of wrong answers  because  kaniwani doesn't specify if he's asking for the kanji or the vocabulary word. Is there a way to fix that ? 

Regards. 
 I know its a lot of text to read through, but I've answered this question a couple times in this thread. (hint: it's always the vocab) Cheers!

love you <3

Tadgh11 said...
glonglon said... Hello, kaniwani is a really nice app but I have a lot of wrong answers  because  kaniwani doesn't specify if he's asking for the kanji or the vocabulary word. Is there a way to fix that ? 

Regards. 
 I know its a lot of text to read through, but I've answered this question a couple times in this thread. (hint: it's always the vocab) Cheers!
 I see, sorry for my ignorance ^^

Having tried this, I feel like it’s definitely the ‘missing link’ for WaniKani. It’s easy to get your brain into a routine of deciphering symbols. Actually recalling vocab when you need it is different, and I found my first session of KaniWani quite hard.

I hope you keep at it and it keeps improving - the functionality is there, and it works well, there’s just a few minor quality of life things to polish up.

Great job though. Really well done.

MY next review timer got stuck.
It’s currently displaying: “Next review: 3 days, 17 hours ago.”
It still seems to work normally despite that, but I’m starting to feel that the intervals between reviews might have stopped changing because it feels like I see  the items added last week over and over again even though I keep getting them right.

congratz ! 
I was looking for this kind of tools and it’s obviously 1000 tiles easier tan doing by hand decks with anki aha

Thanks, this is a cool tool. I think you should talk to WaniKani/Tofugu about endorsing this and maybe helping improve it.
I think that would be cool :smiley:

Todzik said... MY next review timer got stuck.
It's currently displaying: "Next review: 3 days, 17 hours ago."
It still seems to work normally despite that, but I'm starting to feel that the intervals between reviews might have stopped changing because it feels like I see  the items added last week over and over again even though I keep getting them right.

So this is problematic. Is your KW username the same as it is here?
Vesiapina said...
Tadgh11 said...
Vesiapina said... So this is the correct KaniWani thread!! Boy do I feel embarrassed now. :D

And you've written the ability to manually re-lock levels is coming soon(ish). Alright, that settles my question then. Though I hope it will come soon, I can't use KW right now with over a thousand items open. :(
Chuck me your KW username and i'll reset it :) email me at tadgh@cs.toronto.edu 
 Emailed. :) Thanks!
 Tadgh, I emailed you but you never reset it. :( I emailed you again now.