Definitions Jisho Doesn't Tell You About

Is there an equivalent to urbandictionary.com for Japanese?

ニコニコ大百科 has lots of explanations of (mostly internet) slang words. You put in the search term and then click on「〜」の単語記事を閲覧 to get to the explanation page.

Here’s the page for タコ:

I really love the explanation btw:
動作がのろく不器用な者、またそれが原因で使いにくい物を差す俗語である。[蛸]が語源と考えられている。
単なる意味のない悪口で、下手すれば英語の「Fuck」に相当するやもしれぬ。

4 Likes

何! NicoNico has its own dictionary? I’m baffled. Thanks a lot :grin:

1 Like

As I mentioned a few posts higher, Pixiv’s dictionary is another option. Here’s a link: https://dic.pixiv.net/

Honestly though, generally, googling ‘[slang phrase in Japanese] 意味’ or ‘[slang phrase] とは’ will bring up explanations from dictionaries, including Pixiv’s and NicoNico’s, along with explanatory articles in Japanese. That usually helps if no dictionary has the meaning of a phrase, since you’ll have more options.

3 Likes

Or an escape artist

1 Like

I will never know what this says.

1 Like

“It’s a great place to start, but the end is a girl.” Obviously.

In all seriousness, though, it reads:

Summary

Takobouzu (Tsuchiyu Series)
A type of Tsuchiyu Kokeshi, which was introduced on the previous page. Among kokeshi collectors, it has the nickname “takobouzu”, this name has become widely known. It is said that most basic kokeshi are made to look like girls, but the takobouzu is said to be a boy. However, this author feels that it’s a girl dressing as a man. And I think he’s the top male-role star of some opera troupe.

(Arrow at face)
The theory is that the flamboyant way of painting the face comes from the makeup used in kabuki.

(Map)
Production area in Fukushima Prefecture
Nakanosawa Onsen (upper mark)
Aizu-Wakamatsu City (lower mark)

2 Likes

In general, 歌舞伎 is translated as Kabuki though :sweat_smile:

Well, you know me. Forging new paths. Not beholden to tradition and all that.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.