Guess the waseieigo meaning! No cheating!

I thought it would be fun to have this because wasei eigo is super interesting!

For anyone new to the idea, wasei eigo is English words that were adapted into the Japanese language but don’t carry the same meaning as the English words themselves.

I’ll start:

バーコードヘア

2 Likes

Having striped hair? Like death the kid?

Edit: close!

My word: ドンマイ! (maybe too easy, but I like it)

3 Likes

I know the answer to yours so I’ll leave it to someone else. Also, that’s not quite it!

1 Like

dont mind~

Heres a hard one :3
ヘルスメーター

2 Likes

Maybe when a semi bald person combs the remaining hair over the spot creating a barcode look?

ドンマイ is easy. Don’t mind.

Next word: ホイール

1 Like

Nope. That’s not what ドンマイ means.

1 Like

Thermometer?

Yes, you’re right! It’s a combover!

The next one is ムーディ (and I’ll save yours for someone else since I know that one)

It comes from Don’t mind. And the jisho says it means Never mind or Its OK. So what is “Don’t mind” suppose to mean if not the same?

1 Like

What dictionary are you using exactly?

1 Like

ドンマイ is like “it’s okay”, or “pay it no mind”. Most people (including me at one point) make the mistake of thinking it means “I don’t mind, go ahead”…which it doesn’t.

3 Likes

I meant “Don’t mind it” not “I don’t mind.”

3 Likes

I’m using my experience of using it incorrectly in Japan and being corrected by Japanese friends on the actual meaning.

The nuances are subtle, though I can see why you said it’s wrong.

My b then! I saw your reply and if that’s what you meant, you were right!

1 Like

Here is one; ペーパードライバー。

1 Like

Hmm I’m not sure if this is right but paper towel dispenser?

Ah, no :slight_smile: . It is quite different.

Yeah, we don’t really say “don’t mind” the way they use ドンマイ, as consolation to another person.

Oh crap, I forgot that one! But since I looked it up, I’ll let someone else answer!

1 Like