Curious about WaniKani UI kanji reading

Hello! Quick question relating to the “new” kanji in the site UI.

New kanji are marked with a badge with the character 新, and I always like to outright learn kanji that I see a LOT so that it kind of automagically burns into my brain from sheer presence. I looked it up on jisho.org and it shows 2 possible readings for the kanji when by itself: しん and さら. Might anyone be kind enough to tell me which would be used in context of the WaniKani Radicals/Kanji pages? Thanks!

miss vs jpr. who will win

13 Likes

しん is the more common reading for 新, さら applies more to the meaning of new as in “unused”, which doesn’t really fit here :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Kanji tend to have some readings way more common than others. WaniKani prioritizes the most common ones through Kanji and adds extra vocab using the less common readings.

Sometimes on other websites you’ll see readings you didn’t learn, but that just means that they’re rare ones. It’s better to learn them in words than together with the kanji. Why? Because it’s easier to memorize 1 or 2 words using that special reading than having a bunch of different ones while you’re learning the kanji itself.

4 Likes

The winner is clear! Congratulations Missy, you win half a point (because our choco friend was still first)!

5 Likes

That was incredible

3 Likes

Y-You’re incredible!

4 Likes

Well something just happened haha

Thanks for the answers!

Welcome to the forums, young whippersnapper, where first comment is a competition.

5 Likes

Funny how we derailed the thread in 2 minutes.

5 Likes

I didn’t actually do anything helpful so I feel “incredible” may be giving me too much credit.

Now thats incredible.

4 Likes

Incredible? seems pretty normal to me…

2 Likes

Well, usually the first comment isn’t the derailing one…

1 Like

It is if it’s by Vanilla

4 Likes

Let’s both answer and derail the next thread it gets opened in less than 1 minute. We can do it!!

1 Like

Okay, fair enough.

While we’re talking about how to read kanji in isolation, how do you read 小, 中 and 大, when they’re functioning in the sense of S, M, L? For example, for value meal sizes on the McDonald’s menu. 中 is ちゅう, I figure, but I’m not too sure on the other two.

And on a similar vein, what’s XS and XL?

3 Likes

I hope someone smarter than I comes and answers this cause now im curious.

Here’s kind of an overall explanation of sizes for food and clothing in Japan, including the isolated kanji you were wondering about:

Food —
For the McDonald’s menu:

• 小 (しょう)
  • 中(ちゅう)
  • 大 (だい)

And then there’s just:

• S→ エス
  • M→ エム
  • L →エル

You can also say:

• S→ スモール
  • M→ミディアム / レギュラー
  • L→ラージ

But typically エス、エム、and エル are more common to say

For things like ramen and rice bowls:

• S→ 小盛り (こもり)
  • M→ 並盛 (なみもり) (普通/normal size)
  • L→ 大盛り (おおもり)
  • XL→特盛り (とくもり)

Sometimes you’ll also have instances of 大 (だい)、中(ちゅう)、小 (しょう) for this, but the previously mentioned ones are more common

Clothing—
They say X, S, M, and L the same way we do in this case

• S→ エス
  • M→ エム
  • L→ エル
  • XL→ エックスエル

Apparently they don’t really have XS like we do, but if you come across it it’d just be:

• XS→ エックスエス

Source: Japanese people^^

6 Likes