Constant level reset safe zone

This is a safe zone for people who have reset 3 or more times (or however many… Sometimes once is daunting enough.) I was once over level 40, I believe. I can’t remember anymore.

What’s going on? How are you feeling? Why do you think you keep resetting, and what makes you keep going? What do you want to do differently this time? What other studying are you doing? Is this just a side hobby?

The important thing is that it’s still on your mind.

The biggest change I am doing this time is that, while I am still using the reorder script, I will reorder to make sure I am doing the OLDEST levels first, rather than the most recent… The first 3 times, I would always use the reorder script to do the most recent Kanji first so that I could level up quicker and make good time on my reviews… But of course that neglects everything I had previously learned.

I’m also trying to do reviews when I have downtime on the phone.

If you keep resetting but you’re determined to go as fast as possible… Try to slow down. If I miss two days, I’ll have less than 100 reviews stacked… The most I’ve seen stacked is that 200 reviews after a couple of days… This beats the 700+ I would see before. It’s not the end of the world, I just don’t have time to go fast. It’s okay.

After 5 years of trying, expecting to finish within 2 years each time … I just have to accept that my pace is slower than what I want it to be.

I’m also attempting the heisig anki deck again, with just a measly 2-3 new cards per day, rather than 10 or 20. It’s almost an embarrassing amount, but I’ve been at it for 5 months and I increase it temporarily from time to time and I’ve got 400 Kanji from that alone.

Even though I want to be done as soon as possible, this time I’m actually feeling good about my progress, with less stress… I have a lot of other things on my plate, but I’m glad I can passively keep this learning going.

Good luck to you all.

10 Likes

Going too fast definitely contributed to my long absence, reset, long absence. Not that I knew it at the time. Started going too fast again when I started back up this time (without reset). Learned my lesson, and found my pace.

3 Likes

In total I did reset two times. Once at level 4 and onve at level 6. Each time I had some days without doing reviews and came back to a huge pile, which discouraged me to keep going. This resultet in me piling up even more reviews and I jsut couldn’t force me to get rid of that pile. So first time I reset to level 3 and managed to reach level 6. At level 6 I resetet back to level 4. And this time I decided for me to not care about level up speed, because the fast leveling up fucked up my motivation. so far it’s working out for me. I do the Jalup beginner deck and Bunpro beside Wanikani for grammar knowledge. I take wanikani really slow and eneded up with 80+ days on lvl 7,. but hey, I’m still here doing my reviews and I almost finished all new kanjis on lvl 8 this time. That’s okay with me.

I will keep going, even if it’s slow and take me forever :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s awesome. It doesn’t matter how long it takes. I mean, most of the wanikani levels have about 30 Kanji and people are upset if they don’t learn those at the (minimum) of 9 days or so.

Holy crap! 30 Kanji? I’d be impressed if you learned them within a month. Take it one step a time. This isn’t a race.

3 Likes

I’d highly recommend you not to play around with the reorder script at all. It affects your retention in the long-term. Mainly due to the constant resetting.

If any, I advise you these reorders:

For lessons: [Userscript] WaniKani Lesson Filter
For reviews: [Userscript] WaniKani Prioritize Overdue Reviews (NEW reorder script)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.