Conjugation via wanikani?

Hey guys,

Ok you’re gonna hate me but I don’t have a Japanese keyboard right now…

I just learned kikoeru - “to be audible”

Previously I learned kiku “to hear”

At this level, I can feel myself building relationships between the kanji where I can /feel/ when to rendaku and when to make a bodypart kanji a different reading and stuff. In light of these recent vocab pieces I mentioned above, I’m curious if wanikani also instills an intuitive sense of conjugation as well throughout the levels I’ve yet to experience. Another example from even earlier is “to be visible” “to show” “to see” right?

I’m stoked if this is the case!

2 Likes

To a limited extent, yes. 閉まる (something closes) and 閉める (to close something) etc. You’ll have some words paired up like that.

Sometimes it really messes with me though. For example, of those two above, the one with the え ending is transitive, whereas the former is intransitive.

But then you have 解ける and 届ける which are intransitive whereas say 届く is transitive.

from the very beginning I thought a hiragana ending in e resulted in a “to be x” rather than “to x” but then the exceptions started coming in.

Now I just try to use plain memory idk if there’s a better strategy there.

I feel like I won’t totally understand transitive intransitive until I start reading well and seeing context usage.

1 Like

This is something I’m also very curious about, since I’m trying to start studying grammar. (And my English grammar knowledge isn’t thorough enough to make this easy.)

Here’s a link I found that goes into a little bit of detail on the subject. It looks like it’s complicated and has some historical reasons for being this way.

見る and 見える, while etymologically related, are actually two distinct words. 見られる is the passive form of 見る. Same with 聞く and 聞こえる. Wanikani doesn’t teach you how to conjugate verbs, so you’ll need to do some outside studying to learn that.

8 Likes

exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks. That’s rather unfortunate though. I’m using bunpro at the same time so hopefully that remedies this!

I don’t use bunpro so I’m not sure what it covers, but I was under the impression it mostly covered grammatical words like ように or について and things like that. Verb conjugations are kinda hard to learn without just brute force memoriziation but thankfully Japanese has a mercifully small amount of them compared to romance languages and they are very regular outside of a few exception verbs like する and くる. They can tend to be long though which gives some people trouble. (Seeing something like 食べさせられた for the first time can seem intimidating)

BunPro covers just about everything under the sun, including a painful amount of conjugation.

If you don’t want to or can’t install one, there is an online one here.

2 Likes

If you need a quick intro to conjugations read this

In reality you dont need to worry too much about the stem forms, as the Continuative (連用形) form is generally refered to as “the stem form” and the others are often called conjugations by themselves (even though this is technically incorrect)

An important thing to note is that you will sometimes see conjugations being conjugated (such as the causative-receptive(commonly known as causative-passive)), this happens because a conjugation often acts the same way as verbs, meaning you can further conjugate it.
You will learn the combinations as you get exposed more.

Another thing to note is that some textbooks/websites etc. will sometimes refer to て+ auxiliary verb as a conjugation. In my experience it is better to NOT think of them as conjugations but as what they actually are, because you will be seeing a lot of them and they do various things to the verbs they are attached to, fx. -ている is by many called a conjugation but it is NOT a conjugation in itself. It is simply the te-form of a verb + the verb いる.
(The te-form is really a connective form)

The best way (imo) to learn conjugations is to get an introduction to them and then just encounter them in native content.
Happy studying

1 Like

this may be helpful in the future thank!

You have those reversed. 届ける is transitive. 届く is intransitive.

It’s true that 解ける is intransitive though.

1 Like

Good example of how I always get these mixed up. Two of my worst leeches.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.