Confusion with the usage of tame(ni)

Tobira does a great job of explaining this grammar point, I just can’t seem to get it right.

For ppl who are wondering what workbook I’m using: I’m using the これで身につく文法力 workbook that is parallel to the tobira textbook. Specifically, p. 20
I don’t get this exercise, is it asking me to write a sentence about the topic, use the words above and figure out whether I should use tame no or tame ni.

While on the subject of tame~

I know it functions like ~kara or ~node but do you place it also after the reason sentence or at the end of the final sentence.

For example,

In no. 3 I’m trying to say

「下手」や「大人」のような漢字は読み方は違うために、読み方が特別です。

I’m not sure if the sentence is right or heck, IF IT EVEN MAKES SENSE.

Continue with our Japanese studies and may the crabigator bless us all!

STRESS STUDYING

ありがとうございます!

ため is a noun meaning roughly sake or purpose. Modify it with a verb phrase and it means “in order to~”/“for the sake of~”. It’s not really like から・ので because while both join verb clauses together, から・ので express causality while ため expresses purpose.

What are you trying to get across in English here? Btw, you have two はs up there; the second one being が or を depending what you want to say feels more natural.

well, it can mean reason depending on how you conjugate the first clause. I was trying to say, … Know what? That sentence doesn’t make any sense. LMAO. Lemme try to fix it.

読み方が特別のために、「下手」や「大人」のような漢字は読み方が違います。Does it sound more correct now?

There’s multiple ために grammar points.

for the sake of / in order to
because of / as a result of

Ahh, I see, thank you. Didn’t know about the second one.

Then I think something like, 言葉が特別なために、読み方が違う makes sense.

ありがとうございます

I looked at the page you are working on (including the illustration), and I would write a sentence like this:

「下手」や「大人」のような漢字は読み方が特別なために、注意が必要です。

You need to take care with kanji like 下手 and 大人 because they have special readings.

This exercise specifies that ため(に) refers to reason/cause, so while you can also use it to indicate purpose, that’s not the point in this case.

When using ため(に) after a な-adjective, you retain the な in present tense, or use だった in past tense.
Example courtesy of my Japanese grammar dictionary:

• 静かなために because it is quiet

• 静かだったために because it was quiet

• 字が下手なため(に)人に笑われた。I was laughed at because my handwriting is so poor.