ため Without a Particle

I came across this construction in this NHK Easy article. Having never encountered ため, I Googled it and found it to mean “for the benefit of”, but that it usually uses の for nouns and に for verbs. But in the article, it is used at the end of a clause. Does it have the same meaning in this case?

This is the specific sentence:
日本の新幹線の技術ぎつを使っているため、走るときの音が静です

Does it mean something akin to “Japan’s Shinkansen technology is used for the benefit of the train running quietly” ?

Thanks for your help!

It used pretty much interchangeably with and without the に

There might be a very small nuance, but I’m not aware of any.

However, there is another meaning of ため without the に that can occur. It can mean “consequence; result; effect​” or “affecting; regarding; concerning”

This looks like that usage to me.

2 Likes

There is, my former (native) teacher corrected me on it once. Not sure if I remember correctly, but as I understand it just ため is used to indicate the reason as in “A because B” while ために is more similar to ように, as in “A so that B”.

3 Likes

This. ため without に often means “because”.

1 Like

Ah, it’s been a long time since I studied it in detail. But I don’t think that’s what is going on in this sentence anyway.

Maybe you guys are talking about what I was referring to anyway in the second part of my post. But I’m pretty sure the lack of に version can also be the “benefit” usage of at times. I’ll have to review later.

Pretty sure ため like this is often used in writing and newspapers as a “more polite” version of ので.

So instead of the difference being the absence of に it is context of being an article and the sentence itself.

ため can mean for the benefit of without the に. I’m 88% sure. lol

3 Likes

We just simplified your pretty grammar :smiley:

I’d translate the above sentence to something like (going by the op’s vocab translation, I don’t have easy access to a dict right now), “because of using Japan’s shinkansen technology, the sound of [it] running is quiet”.

1 Like

Being found in NHK Easy, that makes a lot of sense.

It can, often at the end of a sentence. 私のためですよね etc. Generally if the “for the sake of” meaning doesn’t make sense in a translation, ため is used as “because”.

1 Like

It is quiet when it runs because it uses Japanese shinkansen technology.
It runs quietly because it uses Japanese shinkansen technology.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.